JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is only worth its parts and that value depends on if the barrel and stock are in good condition USGI. A commercial National Ordinance receiver has little value.

The limited photos you have, it is missing the hand guard and receiver ring. I would suspect the stock has been cut. If that is the case, it is worth about $250. A little more to someone that just wants a cheap sporter to go bang, a little less to a collector that wants to scavenge parts off it.

Last Edited:
While we are on the subject, its also advisable to consider any M1 Garand with a CAI reviever as a parts gun. Also M1's on Springfield recievers over 7million or commercially made cast recievers. Sometimes you find them with some valuable desirable parts if you know what to look for.

Last Edited:
Cartridge appears to be real:

30.08 Remington
That page label is wrong, the cartridge it shows is a .30-8mm magnum. There is no such thing as a 30-08. The .30-8mm is an archaic wildcat based on the obsolete 8mm magnum, which was based on the old .375 H&H magnum.
edit: sorry, didn't mean to knock your post. Thanks for the link- it is a cool cartridge. :)

The 1903 was originally based on the British 30.03, also known as the .30 cal from 1903. It was subsequently already in 1906, also known as the 30.06, or .30 cal from 1906.
The .30-03 cartridge was an original design, though I assume based on the 8mm Mauser since they have the same base diameters. It's unrelated to the .303 British.

They used the .30-03 for three years, then changed to a lighter bullet. They shortened the case neck slightly, changed the name too .30-06, and the rest is history.

Cartridge nomenclature can be really confusing, especially for rounds that started as wildcats. I had a friend who hunted with a 7mm-08 (a .308 Winchester necked down to 7mm). I cringed every time she would call it her "seven millimeter ought-eight".

Last Edited:
That page label is wrong, the cartridge it shows is a .30-8mm magnum. There is no such thing as a 30-08. The .30-8mm is an archaic wildcat based on the obsolete 8mm magnum, which was based on the old .375 H&H magnum.

The .30-03 cartridge was an original design, though I assume based on the 8mm Mauser since they have the same base diameters. It's unrelated to the .303 British.

They used the .30-03 for three years, then changed to a lighter bullet. They shortened the case neck slightly, changed the name too .30-06, and the rest is history.

Cartridge nomenclature can be really confusing, especially for rounds that started as wildcats. I had a friend who hunted with a 7mm-08 (a .308 Winchester necked down to 7mm). I cringed every time she would call it her "seven millimeter ought-eight".
I thought the British .303 was the same. Good info!

303 30-03

The difference is one zero vs two zeros. One zero is nothing, so no difference. But the 30-03 has more dash then the 303.

:D :D :D

Bruce

Here's an '03 that's still killin' stuff.

1676586741960.jpeg

Lots of good info. Husband and I will look for features described. Will be interested to see what the elderly woman is going to actually ask. Based on input here I suspect husband will pass on it.

That sounds like one I would pass on as well, unless you just want a shooter and it's really cheap. :)

Sorry about the thread drift into obscure cartridges and such. I've been collecting cartridges since I was a kid, or rather "accumulating", since I don't have many that are truly collectible. The first time my grandfather took me to a local gun show I think I paid a dime each for a handful of random common rounds. I was absolutely fascinated with them, and so began the addiction…

Maybe if anyone's interested, I'll start a thread about odd-ball old cartridges and such in the "ammunition and reloading" section.

The closest "American" cartridge to the 303 British is the 30-40 Krag. In fact you can make a 30-40 Krag out of a .303 British it will just have a little shorter neck. No problem if shooting low power stuff for a Krag rifle. Nothing I would do for something like my 1895 Winchester in 30-40 Gov which I load to a hair under .308 Win performance levels.

The closest "American" cartridge to the 303 British is the 30-40 Krag. In fact you can make a 30-40 Krag out of a .303 British it will just have a little shorter neck. No problem if shooting low power stuff for a Krag rifle. Nothing I would do for something like my 1895 Winchester in 30-40 Gov which I load to a hair under .308 Win performance levels.
The British had a lot of faith arming their Spitfires and Hurricanes with .303
They must have had to get close.

It is only worth its parts and that value depends on if the barrel and stock are in good condition USGI. A commercial National Ordinance receiver has little value.

The limited photos you have, it is missing the hand guard and receiver ring. I would suspect the stock has been cut. If that is the case, it is worth about $250. A little more to someone that just wants a cheap sporter to go bang, a little less to a collector that wants to scavenge parts off it.
Exactly correct. From the CMP Forum

The Enfield P14 and M1917 might have stirred up some of the confusion. Nearly the same rifle, the Pi4 was chambered in 303 British, the M1917 in 30-06.

When I saw the NATL ORD stamp and the missing upper handguard I became highly suspicious this wasn't a collectible piece.
Comparing this cast receiver to an investment cast piece literally is "apples vs. oranges". Jet turbine impellers are investment cast, this receiver isn't.

If the price is right, the rifle shown here would make a very nice wall hanger.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top