JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That must be a typo.
It's probably 30-06

If you could post some pics, the members here could more easily comment on it.
At this point we don't know if it's been "sporterized" or if it's in original military condition or somewhere in between.

OK.... on closer examination of the little phone/text photo we received, it indeed says .30-06. It is in rough but older unmodified condition. Not "sporterized". I tried to move pictures over but unsuccessful so far. Will try to get pictures in by later today.

The 1903 was originally based on the British 30.03, also known as the .30 cal from 1903. It was subsequently already in 1906, also known as the 30.06, or .30 cal from 1906.

The early serial 1903 receivers supposedly have poor heat treating and are not recommended for shooting.

The original 30.06 ammo was a lower pressure than today's commercial, so new ammo with higher pressure is not recommended in the older rifles.

OK....here are the only two pictures I received. My old eyes aren't always the best. Any feed back will help. Thanks, folks.
I guess it sat in a unoccupied, unheated house for several years.

Spring 03.jpg Spring receiver.jpg

Looks like 30.06. I'm not familiar with 30.08, so I can't weigh in on a possible caliber change. One thing to look out for in the old milsurp rifles is that they were converted to drill rifles by welding the a rod in the barrel or welding the magazine selector switch on the 1903/1903A3.

WWII era 03-A3 as they are known the stock has been refinished. metal look good. Its value based on what I have seen recently would be between 800 and 1200.00 A lot will depend on the condition of that stock and the NAT ORD stamp and its meaning.

This would not be a rifle to worry about receiver heat treating as those in the Springfield Armoy made ones are below serial number 800,000 And this isn't even the same model rifle.

WWII era 03-A3 as they are known the stock has been refinished. metal look good. Its value based on what I have seen recently would be between 800 and 1200.00 A lot will depend on the condition of that stock and the NAT ORD stamp and its meaning.

This would not be a rifle to worry about receiver heat treating as those in the Springfield Armoy made ones are below serial number 800,000 And this isn't even the same model rifle.
Ha! I wasn't even paying attention. You're right, that's most definitely an 03A3.

I sold a pristine one a few years back for around $900 if I recall.

If you have a headspace gauge, use that. Another easy check is the bullet check, flip the bullet upside down and drop it into the end of the barrel. If it goes down to the casing, it's completely shot out.

Springfield 1903 in .30-08? Anyone ever hear of these? We have an opportunity to pick one of these up at a reasonable price. But how do we judge condition and value? What is a reasonable offer?
How much is a "reasonable" price?

At best its a parts gun IMO.

-E-

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR