JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious what leads to a better value these days on lightly used guns.. I'm wondering if I'll get a better value at a) the gun show coming up at expo center, b) a local retailer like Cabela's or Northwest Armory, or c) privately selling them.

In the past I always sold on here, but now with FFL fees I'm wondering if folks find it less convenient and just go to retail stores instead?

Depends on what it is honestly. If it's a sought after gun, definitely a classified ad. If it's something onscure or has a smaller following, you may be better of going to a dealer.
But generally my thoughts are that even with the transfer fees, I think you (and the buyer) would be better served keeping it out if the hands of a retailer. Another person involved is just less money for you and more for the buyer.

It will be more of a hassle and probably take longer if you are set on getting a certain value out of it. If it's priced to move, I don't think you will have to wait too long. You can always take it to the dealer if you don't get any bites after a while too.

You won't get much in a trade in because the stores have to make a profit. Same thing at the gunshow selling to dealers there, it cost a great deal to run a table. Best bet is for you to do a private sale at the show person to person. If the buyer is sure he will pass the background check then call it in yourself and pay the $10 fee.

So many people not passing get the buyer to put up $35 down payment for your time if he fails the bc.

Gun shops tend to offer low cash values. For example, when Tigard Gun Broker was in biz, they typically offered 60% of the USED value in cash, or 70% in trade. On a $400 Glock, for example, this meant you'd get $240 cash, or $280 in trade value. The numbers could usually be massaged up or down a few points, but not a lot.

I found that certain pawn brokers, not all, will offer more than a traditional gun shop. USA Pawn, for example. I sold a couple guns to them to fund purchase of my new CZ. I got 75% of the used value of the two guns I sold. Yes, I took a pretty big hit in the cash department, but being a good boy and following the BS that is 941 is too cumbersome - my work schedule and family time doesn't lend itself to easily meeting someone with a normal schedule at an FFL to conduct a transfer. Pre 941, I would work with people and meet them after they were off and we could conduct our legal transaction in a parking lot, any parking lot, any time day or night. Now you are only allowed to conduct transactions at a relative handful of locations, and only during the hours which OSP conducts background checks, which is NOT 24 hours.

I have traded and sold guns with people - some on here - as late as midnight thanks to our work schedules. Can't do that anymore.

So for ME, I decided that if I must sell a gun to fund a gun, or anything else, I'm going to just stick to selling them to pawn brokers or gun shops that offer higher than typical cash values for used guns, or stick to buying/trading/selling with exempted family members.

If you go the pawn broker route, call around and be ready to walk away. Beaverton Pawn, for example once offered me $50 - straight faced and seriously - for a $600 gun. That was top offer for them. I needed some cash, but not so badly that I was going to loose 5/6th the value of the gun. Of course this was waaaaay before 941, and I wound up keeping the gun and selling some other crap on craigslist to fund whatever it was I was needing to fund at the time.

So unless your mom really needs her kidney transplant today and the doc won't do it till you get that last scrap of cash in hand to pay for it - shop around to see who gives you the best price.

Places that take gun trades and such work on a commission of resale. When you think of trading in think pawn shop because Cabelas and other gun shops take trades base on the same ideas, how hard to resell, how long will it sit on my shelf and what is my margin.

Even with a private sale and transfer fees, you'll still likely get much more than you will going through a dealer. Any time I've asked for a trade/sale value from an FFL, it's been well below what I know I could sell it for.

What really gets me are how many guns are in pawn shops. They probably got about 30% of what it was worth. I'd avoid selling to them under any conditions.

Unless it's a gun that was given to you,the odds are you won't get even close to your return as a trade in. Except if it's at a time when there ain't nothin' on the shelves or impossible to find.
I always do best at the gun shows,but I guess with the fees you would have to factor that in to the calculation with the trade in

You will get the best return in a private sale if it is a firearm that is popular/in demand. Meet up at a dealer and do the transfer. If you don't want to hassle doing the sale yourself, then take the loss and dump it at the dealer/pawn shop that makes you the best offer.

Just like going to a pawn shop.
Expect to get offered half what it's worth.

I would never trade in a firearm. Just sell it. It you want fast cash, lower the price and sell it faster.
And gun store will screw you on buying or trading in a firearm.

Just like going to a pawn shop.
Expect to get offered half what it's worth.

I would never trade in a firearm. Just sell it. It you want fast cash, lower the price and sell it faster.
And gun store will screw you on buying or trading in a firearm.
Yeah almost like going to a pawn shop.Pawn shops won't even give you half of the value.They don't have to,you neighbor may bring in about the same gun to get cash and will give him nothing for it
But saying the gun shop will screw you is just unfair.They are there to sell guns and make a profit,keep the lights on, pay employees etc.
Maybe you don't understand retail but if they give you what the gun is worth,then the next guy comes in and wants to dicker the price and the shop loses money.So they need to pay you a percentage of wholesale ......WTF would I give you retail for your used gun when I can buy a new one at wholesale for less?
And it's the same as so called gouging. If you are willing to do the deal it ain't a screw.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top