JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought firearms from ffl's in Oregon, passed the background checks in a legal and law abiding manner. How can the the government make that owning them is a criminal act after the fact?

As far as I know, no states have confiscated firearms already owned. However, a number of these states ( New York, Connecticut, California, etc ) have combined bans on new sales and transfers with also implementing mandatory registration. So if you don't give the state an exact accounting of what you already have, you will become a criminal. So while no states have yet tried to implement confiscation, they have facilitated that possibility by making registration mandatory.

Of course, when all current Assault rifle owners in these states are dead within 75 years, there will be no privately owned "naughty" firearms anymore. So one can also think of it as sort of a de facto confiscation. It is simply done to your estate, and not to you personally while you are still alive.

Some of the states are even requiring registration for high cap magazines. To be honest, I have no idea how they can even do that.

There are a few companies making really stupid, outlandish rifles in order to comply with these laws. The New York law is so severe, that the resulting rifles are pretty ridiculous. One can buy a NY complaint AR15 for a minimum of $2,100, and a compliant AR10 for a minimum of $2,700 But the guns look like Frankensteins, as you can see here.

Would you pay $2,379 for this rifle below, so that you could put 7 round max capacity magazines in it?

PG3_NY.jpg

Would you pay $2,379 for this rifle below, so that you could put 7 round max capacity magazines in it?

View attachment 120080
Some registered guns have been confiscated if I remember right. People deemed mentally "unfit" and also spouses got knocks on doors asking for guns of deceased husbands etc.
Not in the mood to find a link now but if someone wants to dispute it I'll try later.

BTW I'm with you on posting pics of these abominations that are known as CA or NY compliant guns. Some are not aware this is going on in America and soon right here. A pic is worth a thousand words, or letters to Salem, or votes or...........

Some registered guns have been confiscated if I remember right. People deemed mentally "unfit" and also spouses got knocks on doors asking for guns of deceased husbands etc.
Not in the mood to find a link now but if someone wants to dispute it I'll try later.

Yes, you are right about this. Part of New York's new SAFE Act that was past last year after the Newtown School massacre allows the state to revoke the gun permit of any New York resident that has been labeled "Mentally Unstable".

The law allows for physicians, psychologists, registered nurses, and even licensed social workers to make such a judgement call, and make a secret report to the state, without even notifying the patient. Once the report has been made, the state is then authorized to confiscate the person's firearms.

And one does not need to necessarily be a mental health worker to be able to label a person. Physicians do not have to be psychiatrists, for example. If your foot doctor thinks that you are unstable and reports you, you will have your guns confiscated. And even a Registered Nurse, who usually has very limited training and expertise in mental health, can also make a determination. You could go in for a flu shot, and if the nurse giving you the shot thinks that you are "mentally unstable", your guns can then be confiscated.

There were news reports all about this just a few weeks ago:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index...._cny_too_mentally_unstable_to_have_weapo.html

BTW I'm with you on posting pics of these abominations that are known as CA or NY compliant guns. Some are not aware this is going on in America and soon right here. A pic is worth a thousand words, or letters to Salem, or votes or...........

No, I have to disagree with you on this point. If people do not participate in their democracy, then they lose all right to complain about it not functioning well, in my opinion.

There is a real easy online map that allows anyone in Oregon to quickly find contact info for their representatives in both Salem and Washington. You can either enter your address, or simply click on your location on the map:

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/FindYourLegislator/leg-districts.html

No, I have to disagree with you on this point. If people do not participate in their democracy, then they lose all right to complain about it not functioning well, in my opinion.

There is a real easy online map that allows anyone in Oregon to quickly find contact info for their representatives in both Salem and Washington. You can either enter your address, or simply click on your location on the map:

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/FindYourLegislator/leg-districts.html

I don't know, some folks need a visual to motivate them.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top