JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just some random ideas I've been kicking around for awhile…

I don't have a lot of weapons, but I like the ones I own. I just wish I'd acquired them privately and I'd gladly trade any piece of mine for the same one from a private party "off the grid."

Aside from running WTS WTB WTT ads in the NWFA forum, or Armslist, is there any move afoot for Oregonians to swap guns with other enthusiasts who want to get/keep their personal possessions private? While we still can?

Of course I vote, but I'm just one guy bracing against an apparent skinny jeans tsunami. No, simply leaving the state is not a reasonable option for me at this point. I'm also not into the "boating accident" thing - nor is my boat.

But seriously, I've never enjoyed surrendering all that info when I buy/transfer via a dealer. And now that we're flanked by all this foolishness in Kalifornia and WA, it's really bugging me.

So… swap guns legally with like-minded enthusiasts before it's too late? Good idea? Is there some basic flaw in my stunted logic that makes it all a moot point? Is it possible to organize something just for that purpose?

Ist das verboten?

You've bought a gun - your on the list.

You frequent this site - your on the list.

Buy a gun mag with a credit card - yup, on the list...

If what your worried about is your guns being taken, then telling the nice officer at the door that you no longer have those guns isn't going to fly. They will have a paper they call a warrent, a metal detector and will go thru your house room by room and check your property.

If it's something else, well... Your on the list;)

If things got so bad they demanded registration of so called "assault style weapons" and or confiscation of them, what's the difference?

Scenario (A) You get a notice in the mail after the bums in Salem pass their new asinine gun laws unopposed.
Please register your 3AK47, two AR15s, 3 Glock 19s etc. that you purchased on July, 15 at Dick's Sportin......

Being a law abiding citizen but also a freedom loving Constitutionalist you either register them, (the ones you still own) or BREAK THE LAW and don't register them and say you sold them all.

Scenario (B)
You get a notice in the mail after the bums in Salem pass their new asinine gun laws unopposed.
Please register your 3AK47, two AR15s, 3 Glock 19s etc. that you purchased on July, 15 at Dick's Sportin......

You have indeed sold them this time, so you check the boxes on their form saying you no longer own the guns they speak of. You may even have a bill of sale as proof.
What they don't know is you have replaced the guns with "undocumented" guns traded before the law was passed.

Being a law abiding citizen but also a freedom loving Constitutionalist you either register them, (the ones you still own) or BREAK THE LAW and don't register them and say you sold them all.

IMO what's the difference?

I guess a guy who only has guns he was given or bought with cash and a handshake. And never bought guns ammo or accessories with credit or from a dealer has a chance not getting them confiscated. If things get all Orwellian that is! He'd still be breaking the law though.

Appreciate the feedback fellers.

I should have added that I'm well aware of the paper trail I started elsewhere and continued to build here in Oregon with a few more purchases, and my mouthing off in this public forum.

Lots of knowledgable people here. I'm just wondering how others see it, and, like I said, if it's all just a moot point.

Damn shame it even has to come to this. Criminals will always be criminals and that won't change anything in reference to crimes committed with guns. What will change is that a lot of people who've never broken a rule, ever, will choose to become lawbreakers when their rights are stolen by agenda-driven politicians for no good reason.

Last Edited:
Damn shame it even has to come to this.

Talking about it here will not do any good whatsoever. No one here has a vote in either the Oregon House or Senate.

If you really do care about this issue, then the best thing for you to do would be to call both your representative in the House, and your Senator in the Senate, and let them both know that you will be a one issue voter in 2016 and will vote against them if they vote in favor of such legislation.

Almost all of our elected legislators have regular town hall meetings where they talk and mingle with the public. Voice your opinion and let it be heard.

I can tell you that from everything that I have heard, fear of a voter blacklash in 2016 is the main thing that is currently causing some Democrats in Salem to hesitate in supporting strong new gun controls in the coming legislative session. Voters just did that in last month's election in Colorado, punishing Democrats for having past a high capacity magazine ban in 2013. And there is some fear currently among Democrats in Salem that the same sort of blacklash could happen here in Oregon if harsh new gun controls are past.

Heck, feel free to even write the Governor a letter about this. He is actually one of the leaders that is most worried about a potential backlash.

Democratic Senate President Peter Courtney is another leader voicing concern about going too far on gun control.

I bought firearms from ffl's in Oregon, passed the background checks in a legal and law abiding manner. How can the the government make that owning them is a criminal act after the fact?
I think there must be a grandfathered clause for all that are owned prior to any new law that is passed.
So the 594 regulates transfers-- does it require registration?

I bought firearms from ffl's in Oregon, passed the background checks in a legal and law abiding manner. How can the the government make that owning them is a criminal act after the fact?
I think there must be a grandfathered clause for all that are owned prior to any new law that is passed.
So the 594 regulates transfers-- does it require registration?

Unless there is a law that prevents them from doing that (and I'm not aware of any), if they have the votes in the State House and Senate, yes, they can do just that. The state constitution protects your right to own a gun for self defense, but it doesn't prevent Democrats (yes, Democrats - Republicans won't be doing it) from passing a law requiring registration of those guns. Thanks to Oregon voters, we no longer have enough Republicans in the senate to block these fools. I'd like to know what pro-gun Democrats in this state plan to do to stop the people they put in office from taking their rights away now.

Last Edited:
Unless there is a law that prevents them from doing that (and I'm not aware of any), if they have the votes in the State House and Senate, yes, they can do just that. The state constitution protects your right to own a gun for self protection, but it doesn't prevent Democrats (yes, Democrats - Republicans won't be doing it) from passing a law requiring registration of those guns. Thanks to Oregon voters, we no longer have enough Republicans in the senate to block these fools. I'd like to know what pro-gun Democrats in this state plan to do to stop the people they put in office from taking their rights away now.

Short answer, nothing, as they just voted in a few gun grabbers.

Sure you can. They are only NFA items while in NFA configuration. Throw a 16" upper on that SBR'ed lower and you can sell it to anyone, no paperwork required.

I was mainly referring to full auto machine guns and suppressors.
Unless you want to destroy them, you are stuck with dealing with the tax stamps.

Sure you can. They are only NFA items while in NFA configuration. Throw a 16" upper on that SBR'ed lower and you can sell it to anyone, no paperwork required.
Wait a minute, that lower receiver is now a registered CL-III item with the BATF. Do you have proof of that comment?

Wait a minute, that lower receiver is now a registered CL-III item with the BATF. Do you have proof of that comment?

Both are correct, in a way.

If you remove the NFA parts AND send a letter to the NFA requesting it be removed from the registry then it is no longer an NFA item. As long as the lower is listed on the registry then it IS an NFA item.......

Both are correct, in a way.

If you remove the NFA parts AND send a letter to the NFA requesting it be removed from the registry then it is no longer an NFA item. As long as the lower is listed on the registry then it IS an NFA item.......

Errrrr... Kinda...
If I have a registered SBR lower, yes its in the registry, but it's only subject to the NFA laws while its configured as a NFA regulated item. I have to get permission to take it across state lines.
If I slap on a 16" barrel, its no longer configured as a NFA item, and the NFA laws don't apply. I can take it across state lines without permission.
Likewise, I could sell that receiver/16" AR to you today with NO NFA paperwork. Is it still in the registry? YES, but its not under the perview of the NFA.

From the NFA FAQ

Q: I possess a properly registered SBR or SBS. I intend to strip the receiver and remove the barrel prior to selling the receiver. Is the bare receiver still subject to regulation under the NFA as a SBR or SBS?
A stripped receiver without a barrel does not meet the definition of a SBR or SBS under the NFA. Although the previously registered firearm would remain registered unless the possessor notified the NFA Branch of the change, there is no provision in statute or regulation requiring registration of a firearm without a barrel because its physical characteristics would make it only a GCA "firearm" pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3)(B). If the subsequent owner buys the receiver as a GCA firearm and installs a barrel less than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS), the firearm would be subject to a $200 making tax and registration under the NFA by the manufacturer or maker of the SBR or SBS. Because registration depends upon the stated intent of the applicant, there is no provision to allow registration of a NFAfirearm by anyone other than the maker or manufacturer.

Q: Is it necessary to send notification to ATF and receive acknowledgement that the SBR or SBS has been removed from the purview of the NFAbefore it may be sold as a GCA firearm?
There is no requirement for the possessor of a registered NFA firearm to notify ATF that the firearm has been removed from the purview of the NFA. However, ATFrecommends the possessor notify the NFA Branch of such changes in writing so that the possessor is not mistakenly identified as the owner if the firearm is later used in a crime. If, at the time of transfer, the firearm does not meet the definition of a SBR, it should be transferred without filing the NFA transfer application and without payment of the transfer tax.

What do you do about the engraving that was installed on the lower. Leave it on, or remove it.
It's illegal to deface a firearms serial #, what about your name/trust and address?

I guess you could remove it as long as it's sold as a non-NFA item. Either have it filled or milled out. The engraving is only there because it was a NFA item. Since it's not anymore, there's no legal reason for it to stay.
If your selling it as a NFA item, then it has to stay since the engraving is from the legal "maker".

NFA aside, I guess I'm picturing something like this...

Government Entity:
"Teflon, there's a new law. You have 30 days to register these specific weapons that you purchased on these specific dates."

Me (telling the God's honest truth):
"Actually, I'll do nothing of the sort! I legally transferred those to complete strangers before that unconstitutional law was passed by the @ssjackets you're working for."

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top