JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So i don't have any Jags for cleaning my barrels, i hate patch pullers and at the same time, don't really know how to use them.
I have brushes for everything, but i want the kind of effectiveness from running a patch through, as i get from the 'patch' part of a bore snake.

I have been running patches on the outside of brushes, and considered getting a Jag instead, i didn't want to push the jag on a rod, then found reverse Jags. However, at this point, i found the Tornado brushes and thought they'd act like a more forgiving Jag if i used it with a patch over it.

My question is, has anyone had experience with, or uses Tornado brushes? (Hoppe's 9 - The Gun Care People)

I understand they're mild steel, but there are no 'ends' of the wire to scratch/damage the barrel, so that should be fine, allowing me to use them as regular brushes (sans patch) if needed as well.

Thoughts?

The "tornado" type brushes don't get into the groove instead they ride on the lands. Any firearm can be properly cleaned with a cheap per caliber cleaning kit, like the ones at Bi-mart. Make sure you use the right caliber patch. Bore snakes can hold bits of metal in them, scratching up the barrel, I avoid snakes.

As far as the process of cleaning a barrel, first it's best to remove the barrel so you can clean from breach to muzzle. Then soak a patch in solvent and use the loop/swab tip to get inside of barrel wet with solvent. Next use the wire brush then jag with proper patch until clean.

This is just the generic process each firearm has it's own tricks.

Hmm, i keep my snakes clean, so hopefully that's just a remote possibility. I do always try and clean breach to muzzle, and yes, barrel removal if possible :)

In short though, you'd recommend some reverse Jags instead?

I'm not sure where the question of killing barrels by over cleaning came from, i'm merely asking for peoples experience and thoughts on the tornado brush. I don't know if it's any more effective than regular brushes, but i do know it's construction stops it wearing any more than a regular brush, despite the harder metal.

There are a couple of manufacturers that are shipping their guns with these to clean, a buddy at work saw a gun show with them being demonstrated several years ago, they used a bore-scope allowing you to see the construction of the brush form into the riflings, but because there is no sharp edge on the bristles that aren't there, the stronger metal works well whilst being gentle on the bore.

Anyway, i wanted to use these instead of regular bristled brushes and in place of jags, i figured these would push the patch more evenly and effectively onto the barrel than a jag will.

Stop that thinking/saying. Maybe you're just flat *** uneducated.

OK....Just for the heck of it, why don't you enlighten any of us "Uneducated" types to what really is going on in that barrel?

Common sense might tell me that if I am using a stainless brush on a standard steel barrel that wear could occur, no? I use stainless brushes on my handguns and wondered. I figure there's no worries with the stainless barrels though. Using the bronze/copper brushes, with copper removing solvent destroys them in short order, so before I put the brush to the barrel I run a patch on a jag through. I went to using brass jags too, really feels good when you push that first patch out and get some green.

Anyway, not trying to be snarky, just going for discussion.

Mike

Yes I have used the tornado brushes and they work great. Especially to get lead out of barrels, guys I know that shoot cast bullets recommended them, you can see the lead come flying out the muzzle end on a sunny day.

I think we can stop butting up against the whole 'steel against steel' thing, these 'brushes' are not open ended, there is no wire end to scratch or abnormally wear the barrel like a regular brush, they're completely contained and only a rounded edge is used against the barrel.

TornadoBrush_2.png

Tried them did not like em. For a really clean barrel that was extremely fouled I went with one size larger brass with brass windings. Man did that do the trick.

Use a graphite cleaning rod with brass ends also. Then follow up with patch covered jag and your favorite solution.

Stainless is softer than carbon steal most of the time, unless you get into some high end knife blades. Depends on the composition of each actual material.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews