JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys...Need to share

I have been a reloader for a few years, and enjoy bench shooting my .243 as well as hunting. I am very particular about loading, and spend extra time making sure my brass is clean, sized, and re-loaded with quality products so I can be assured good groupings and ballistics at the range weekly. I have been researching something that has proven to be well worth the extra effort for better groupings at the range.

Many guys, tumble, size and trim there brass when re-loading and do pretty good...But How many bottle brush the inside of the bullet necks before reloading. When a bullet is fired, there is some baked on residual coatings that will not tumble off when you tumble. The problem is that once you have resized you cartridge necks the coating is still embedded on the brass. This allows a small amount of cushioning that is not pure brass. The press fit process for the bullet is not exactly the same for each round, so the ballistics suffer a bit.

I had been shooting a specific bullet from Hornady for several years with pretty nice groupings... It is the
95 gr SST .243 bullet. I use the same powder and load data to get my 5 round grouping that is 1" to 1.25 with a standard sporting barrel at 100 yds.

The following process now allows me to shoot .875 to 1.0 groupings consistently.
1 Wire brush the case neck with the same brush as your barrel 2-3 strokes is fine.
2 Re-size and extract the primer in the case
3 Tumble until clean and shinny
4 Install new primer
5 Load Powder and Bullet using light anti sizing wax or fluids on external case only
6 The press fit will now be the same on all bullets.... no residual coatings inside exist on the case.

It sure works good for me!....
Larry243

:s0022:
Cool man.

Some of us shoot .250" @100y..... consistent process is key no matter what you do.

Interesting, results don't lie.;) So many variables. Brand of brass, seating depth,
powders and bullets?:eek: Neck tension is very important.
My tests show no crimp more accurate. I do a flash hole debur step and for first
time brass primer pocket uniformer. But does it improve accuracy? Don't know
never really tested it. The primer pocket uniformer is more of a safety issue to
prevent a high primer that can cause a slam fire. Probably not an issue with a
bolt gun. I am looking at reloading for a 308 bolt gun with neck size only dies.:rolleyes:
Will it improve accuracy? Don't know. I guess I will find out.
You guys that don't check case length or trim? Can be disastrous??:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
329f4f6831f97df115973cd26fbf0b8d.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads