JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im starting a Rem 308 build. Question is if im going to be shooting 600/800 + yrds wouldnt I want the highest power scope to reach?
Question is between a 6-24 or 8.5-32.
Is there pros and cons from going too high power? How will it do at close range if set up for distance..

It depends on what you are going to shoot at that distance.

If you go too high, you accentuate every movement you make. The scope will also work just fine up close, but, it might be too much magnification to see your surroundings and find your way to the target. Of course, you have to know the trajectory of your bullet/load and compensate by holding high or low as you change distances.

I do better with a little less power, but you have to have enough to discern what you want to shoot at.

Quality glass (and reticle) make a huge difference. Money spent on a quality scope is seldom wasted, in my opinion.

Bob

One big effect of warm weather out on Prarie dog trips: Mirage. Makes higher powers useless. I find if it's warm....above 80 or so, 12x is about it. Having a Bushnell Elite 6-24x was no more useful than a 10x with BDC. So, it depends on what you're gonna do. You should try aiming at different distances with various power in different weather conditions to see what works for you

one thing you might want to consider,, I have seen this in $1,000.00 scopes( springfield armory, leoupold) as well as $200.00 scopes( nikon,tasco, etc.),, when you use a variable power scope,, the internal cams that allow you to vary the power will make it difficult to hold zero. the machined pieces inside..( the cams) move around and allow movement of the lenses due to loose tolerances. and allow the scope to have variations from zero.

One thing to consider is that the exit pupil from any telescopic device is the diameter of the objective lens (the actually used size of the one in front) divided by the power. In bright light our eye pupils get contracts to about 2mm, but given a 40mm objective and 32 power the light exiting the eyepiece is only 1.25 mm in diameter, so you're going to loose some resolution. The most sensitive part of the retina (fovea centralis) is about 1.3mm in diameter but that is after the eyes lens, but this matters because a 1.25mm exit pupil is still pretty good as, i think but don't really know this to be true, we naturally put the most important part of the target right on the most sensitive part of the retina.

A 44mm at 24 power exits at about 1.8mm so that is a good fcompromise for day use and since I have two of these I know they work for me pretty well.

Yes, variable power scopes are complicated and they go fubar a lot more often than fixed power ones, but the industry has figured this out so well and there aren't many choices for fixed power scopes anymore. Also the variable power scope allows you to use 'your higher powers' (oooommmmmmmm!) when you can but 'dial down' when you can't.

600 yards is a long way, maybe look at scopes with 56mm (maybe the largest practical size?) objective lenses and 40 power, or take the smaller compromises.

also something to think about, People are saying that the high power scores accentuate the movement on target and they find it harder to hold on there intended target accurately. Don't be fooled you gun is doing that if your scope is high powered or not you just don't see it as much in low power because you don't see as much of the target. It just "looks" like its more steady. The high power scopes I feel give you the ability to more precisely hold zero on your target it just takes a practice is all.

also something to think about, People are saying that the high power scores accentuate the movement on target and they find it harder to hold on there intended target accurately. Don't be fooled you gun is doing that if your scope is high powered or not you just don't see it as much in low power because you don't see as much of the target. It just "looks" like its more steady. The high power scopes I feel give you the ability to more precisely hold zero on your target it just takes a practice is all.

Yeah, I shoot around the pulse in my cheek, I think it is there even when I use a lower power scope, lol.

Hi Werner, I can't be too much help w/ your scope question as I drink enough coffee to make anything over 14x useless for me. I was just wondering if there is a place you know of locally to shoot 600+ yards. I'm in Rainier.

Hi Werner, I can't be too much help w/ your scope question as I drink enough coffee to make anything over 14x useless for me. I was just wondering if there is a place you know of locally to shoot 600+ yards. I'm in Rainier.

no, not other then finding a spot in the hills or clearcut. i know tricounty has matches at 600 and you can shoot 2/300 yrd regularly if your a member. ill be doing most of long shots over east or varmint hunting.

anybody have a review on Sightron SIII 6-24x50 milldot? everything ive read says they are better then leupold in clarity and optic performance...

one thing you might want to consider,, I have seen this in $1,000.00 scopes( springfield armory, leoupold) as well as $200.00 scopes( nikon,tasco, etc.),, when you use a variable power scope,, the internal cams that allow you to vary the power will make it difficult to hold zero. the machined pieces inside..( the cams) move around and allow movement of the lenses due to loose tolerances. and allow the scope to have variations from zero.

10-4

You must test the gun at various ranges to figure this out for your setup. Never assume. Personally for a 3 x 9 I leave it on 9 X and it's GTG

Hard holding is an art which few master

Thanks for the replys Werner! Rainier rod and gun is kike my 2nd home.

Parallax, In the 5 1/2 years I've lived in Oregon I've only been to Eugene a hand full of times, but if I head down there anytime this summer I'll be sure to see if we can get together and shoot. Glad to here people shoot down there!!! I thought it was all Oregon Country Fair down there. :s0112: :s0114: :s0112:

Just kidding! Thanks for the invite!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads