JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a question thread. Use the up arrow to the right of good answers to upvote. Answers with more votes appear higher on the list.
Off topic or not...

Rule #2 states that Religious and non firearm political content is prohibited.
Plus the threads in question usually go down hill fast and have multiple forum rules being broken....so like any thread that has rule violations , they get shut down.
( Mostly rules #1 and #3 )

At times I do see threads that bend the forum rules...which is okay in my opinion...but again , they often get to 'bent " to much and result in a series of broken rules that cannot be overlooked.
Andy

Upvote 0
Right on, Andy- I see and respect your point. I do however think that "Off Topic" rule should be changed for at least this forum.. I do note a lot of non-firearm stuff- like "Subduction Zone", "Pets", and a plethora of other "off topic" topics. Just sayin...
I stand down on the issue. I have a personal respect for you and your contributions here. All I can say is.. "Live long and prosper!":s0136:

Last Edited:
Upvote 0
Right on, Andy- I see and respect your point. I do however think that "Off Topic" rule should be changed for at least this forum.. I do note a lot of non-firearm stuff- like "Subduction Zone", "Pets", and a plethora of other "off topic" topics. Just sayin...

What Andy was trying to explain is the reason is NOT for being "off topic". The reason a thread gets sent packing is when some can't control their emotions. Things start to get heated, people start in with stuff that breaks the rules about conversation, not confrontation. In other words they are not going to allow flame wars. For those who like that I am sure there must still be plenty places on the web that still have them. They just don't allow it here.

Upvote 0
To expound a bit on the rule bending in threads...

** Note the following is only my thoughts on this , not official NWFA policy**

The context and content of the post , along with the overall "tone" of the post , come into play for me.
If conversation is civil with a polite exchange of ideas and comments...
All without bickering , broad general "blanket statements" , name calling , or inflammatory remarks...
I usually let the thread ride...until someone complains.

Then if the poster in question , seems receptive , I usually PM them with a offer to help edit the post / thread so it can stay open.

Lots of "If" here and personal views ....So again I will state that the above is how I usually moderate...not official policy.

Also to be up front...
It could be argued that OP is a violation of rule # 7 Discussing of Staff Issues in the open forum is prohibited.
But...
To my reading of the OP...it seemed to be an honest question...more than a rule violation....so it stays...Others may view it differently.
Andy

Upvote 0
I think rule #7 sounds more like North Korea than it does USA.
Don't question the staff or you get slapped.

Like Ifish?
Just my lowly non staff opinion...

First ...
A non staff opinion is not lowly.
Second , even with the rule 7 in place...in this thread is anyone getting "slapped".
A question was asked...I , a staff member answered....no slaps here that I see.
Also I will not respond to other instances as they may or may have involved me...I will not comment on the actions of another Moderator or their actions .

Second...
I hope that you are not equating my moderating style with the Third Reich or North Korea...
I have nothing but disdain to say the least for the their "leadership" and governing styles.
Andy

Upvote 0
First ...
A non staff opinion is not lowly.
Second , even with the rule 7 in place...in this thread is anyone getting "slapped".
A question was asked...I , a staff member answered....no slaps here that I see.
Also I will not respond to other instances as they may or may have involved me...I will not comment on the actions of another Moderator or their actions .

Second...
I hope that you are not equating my moderating style with the Third Reich or North Korea...
I have nothing but disdain to say the least for the their "leadership" and governing styles.
Andy
You didn't make rule #7.
But rule #7 represents the world we live in now....
You did nothing wrong.
Rule #7 is the elephant

Upvote 0
You didn't make rule #7.
But rule #7 represents the world we live in now....
You did nothing wrong.
Rule #7 is the elephant

Rule #7 is partly in place to keep the conversation on the open forum flowing towards firearms and firearm related topics.

Also ...

Discussing Staff issues in the open forum can easily morph into the breaking of rules #1 and #3....If you have a question , comment or concern regarding any of the rules , to include #7 , I suggest that you contact Joe LInk via a PM.
Andy

Upvote 0
See? Andy has adroitly demonstrated telling some sheite stirrers to get bent by bending the rules, and STILL maintains the, "Be Excellent To Each Other" rule at the highest possible level of excellence.

:D

I'm living proof that the Moderators around here are pretty damned excellent, for all the "Tom foolery" (and occasional rage) that I perpetrate around here I rarely get moderated..... but then again.... I'm Stomper, dammit! ;)

Last Edited:
Upvote 0
As Andy stated, most threads that turn political and tribal where teams of sides form, or forum rules continue to be dismissed are closed. Often a quick PM to whoever closed a topic will state their reason and have a respectful conversation on why it was closed. If the person doesn't feel the answer given is reasonable, please feel free to have a dialogue with @Joe Link.

Staff does their best to mitigate threads going downhill, but we're human and make mistakes.

I hope that helps answer your question, even though @AndyinEverson did a solid job of explaining.

Upvote 0
Bending the rules without breaking them is an art form. Saying things online should be done with the same care as if one were sitting across the table from the other person. Both of these take a certain amount of skill :)

Upvote 0
Too Bad that certain mods find it necessary to shut down "Off Topic" threads because we are a Firearms site not a political site. "Off Topic" is precisely FOR opinions and other no firearms material! Am I wrong?
We're a fractious lot and we argue.

I have advocated a "no democrats" policy here for years.

However the sit owner is smarter than us and has more foresight. (Probably a getter person too..)

He has a vision for this site that it is a place for us to discuss firearm related topics and not to unduly antagonize one another.

The mods do a damned fine job here and work hard to make the right decisions that keep us on track.

If you don't like all the rules, you're not alone, but you have to respect them and find a way to enjoy it here all the same.

This, as you know having been here for 7 years, this site is a jewel in the sewer of the internet.

Hope to see you around for a longvtime

Upvote 0

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class