To wipe or not (not what you think)

When loading the patched round ball do you...

• Wipe after every shot.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
During extended range sessions or trail walks do you wipe after every shot? Only when loading gets tough? Or never?

I'm in the never category. I always spit patch when punching paper or doing trail walks and that seems to keep everything going just fine for the 25-30 shots I end up doing at a shoot.

For hunting I use a greased patch and except for a really good day small game hunting I never shoot enough to need to wipe.

Andy54Hawken

Reactions
I'm in the same boat with you Rocklock.
Spit patch while at the range ... Bear grease or deer tallow when hunting.
Haven't really had a need to wipe with any of my guns ...
Andy

Reactions
Supposedly the Romans thought Vikings were barbaric because they didn't wash after sex . . .
I thought this thread was headed in that direction!

Sheldon

OP
Rocklock
Reactions
The guys I shoot with do the full bore mop routine every time. They're also shooting bore diameter balls with teflon coated patches that get started with a mallet.

Once a year we do a Fer du lac target and make everybody shoot out of the bag. Set the target at 100 yds. Everybody moves up to the 75 yard line and shoots the 25 yd bulls then moves back to the 50, etc and finishes up back at the shooting benches for the 100 yard portion. Keeps everybody honest.

Depends really, Smooth bore, Never an issue, Rifled, things get gunked up pretty fast so A fellas gotta scrape out the bore pretty often! Some of my Rifled Long Arms get fowled in as few as three rounds, so I scrub the bore every shot, smooth bore has never seemed to give me any issues!

Bon Sauvage

Reactions
During extended range sessions I wipe every two or three shots for both my 1861 Springfield and my 36 calibre target rifle. The others not so much.

I use lambs tallow on my hunting patches.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show 2021 show is cancelled
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
22 Rimfire Challenge
Redmond Rod and Gun Club
Redmond, OR 97756, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sound Loan and Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Definitely recommended
    friendly people, great prices on guns ammo tools, jewelry, other pawn shop stuff, always been easy to deal with
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Responsive, courteous, great comms and absolutely reasonable!
    Bought a firearm from a local NWF's member and as I live in Idaho it had to transfer through a local FFL. The Seller picked A Cut Above... The...
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Another sterling experience A+
    Tyler is a great man and this place is a treasure. Reasonable fees and excellent service. Kind and polite. No BS. I will keep coming back.
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Great FFL Gun Transfers.
    Last Saturday morning. Me & the wife bought a pistol from another great Northwestfirearm's member. Meet up A Cut Above pawn shop. Wife had a...
  • TJ Gun Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    TJ Gun Sales
    Needed some sights for a Glock 19. Found them here for a good price and free install. :)
Top Bottom