JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Science wins out for me.

So long as a spring remains static within its design limits (Neither compressed or stretched beyond the amounts it was designed for) it will not lose strength.

Only cycling, or some oddity such as rust or extreme heat, can wear out a spring.

One more time. You can leave a magazine fully loaded for 100 years and the spring will be no weaker than when you loaded it. Repeatedly cycling a spring from its design compression limit to an unloaded state will wear it out after enough cycles.

I replace the main spring in my semi-auto weapons and the springs in the magazines every 2,000 rounds without regard to time or to whether they were left compressed or uncompressed, and that method is correct unless the gun manufacturer calls for fewer cycles before replacing.

I'm runnin with this. Empty magazines make me sad...

For the GHB wouldn't it be better to just store them in magazines?

I guess it would be, I never thought of buying 8 magazines for a cheapy 9mm to keep in a GHB to back up my primary carry gun. But the sky is the limit I guess?

I do like the compartmented idea of vacuum sealing. I might implement that idea SF and Wenis.

FYI

My buddy loaned me a 7mm and some 20yo ammo.
Shot great.Hit the target and kicked good.

How long y'all plan on storing it?

Oh this was factory ammo in factory packaging.

I guess it would be, I never thought of buying 8 magazines for a cheapy 9mm to keep in a GHB to back up my primary carry gun. But the sky is the limit I guess?

In my case, G22 mags will fit in a G23, and I can get used LEO trade in G22 mags for $11 each.

I use those things like easter eggs.

2 in the Jeep, 2 in the car, 2 at my desk, 2 in my vest, 4 in my belt, 2 for CCW, 6-10 in my GHB.

You can never have too many mags. :D

I have 12 mags for my XD9 and keep them all loaded. I've modified my carry case to hold 10 mags, and the other 2 are in my ammo can, along with about 1500 loose rounds. But I was debating vacuuming about 150 rounds for the bug out bag.

Most of my ammo goes in ammo cans, 30 or 50's whichever fits best. For the BOB and other locations I have packs of 5.56 on strippers, 3 strippers to a box, 3 boxes plus stripper guide sealed in a bag.....90 rounds ready to go.

DSCN0394.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
for my storage/backup ammo for my AR, I keep 6 loaded mags & a bunch of boxed ammo per 50 cal can (along w/ a pack of silica gel). That way, if I have to go quick & can only grab 1 can, at least I have 1 ammo can w/ loaded mags& boxed ammo. I put a little label on the outside on top & the front w/ how many rounds & when I stored it for rotation.
I like the idea of vacuum sealing tho! I've been about to 'pull the trigger' (gfaw) on one for awhile but have held back due to the initial investment...now here's one more reason!

for my storage/backup ammo for my AR, I keep 6 loaded mags & a bunch of boxed ammo per 50 cal can (along w/ a pack of silica gel). That way, if I have to go quick & can only grab 1 can, at least I have 1 ammo can w/ loaded mags& boxed ammo. I put a little label on the outside on top & the front w/ how many rounds & when I stored it for rotation.
I like the idea of vacuum sealing tho! I've been about to 'pull the trigger' (gfaw) on one for awhile but have held back due to the initial investment...now here's one more reason!

A guy told me,years ago,to load a mag 'light' .Meaning load a couple rounds short to preserve the spring.

I mentioned it to a gun shop owner the other day and was told with the newer mags this isn't necessary.

Yes ? No?

A guy told me,years ago,to load a mag 'light' .Meaning load a couple rounds short to preserve the spring.

I mentioned it to a gun shop owner the other day and was told with the newer mags this isn't necessary.

Yes ? No?

Ask five people and they'll all give you different answers and argue to the death that they're right.

So, what are folks thoughts on the plastic '50 cal. ammo cans' that you can get at bi-mart? I've always used the old school metal ones but thought about trying something different. Thoughts?

-d

So, what are folks thoughts on the plastic '50 cal. ammo cans' that you can get at bi-mart? I've always used the old school metal ones but thought about trying something different. Thoughts?

-d

I would wager a guess that if it's full of ammo and you drop it on any relatively hard surface you'll have a mess and be minus an ammo can. I go for the surplus metal ones myself. It's been a couple years since I bought one but they should be comparable in price to the plastic ones, probably even a bit cheaper. That's my $.02

As long as you rotate the mags every once in awhile. I've seen mags loaded and stored for extended periods end up with compressed springs that didn't play nice when finally used.

I recall an article by Jeff Cooper that told of a Colt 1911 that had been found in a safe after 60 or so years in Condition One, and fired and cycled every round flawlessly. That's a Colt, but in my personal experience a cheap Chinese AK mag loaded with cheap Russian ammo that had sat in a closet for five years also fired and cycled every round without a hitch.

Ooops... Didn't notice how old this thread was...

Last Edited:
This may be an old thread, but it is a good topic. I have reloaded ammo that is going on 30 years old. No speacal storage. Still shoots great. But keep in mind when its time to bug out how much ammo can you carry. Handgun ammo should be on your minimum list, rifle and shotgun ammo on your most list. Survival is your main objective. Hunting and fishing. Fire fights should be avoided at all costs. A fire fight will give your position away and draw in all the other survialist in the area. A fire fight will announce the presence of food and supplies. I prefere a wheel gun and a bolt action rifle. One shot and one hit. If you have 10 or 15 rounds and can't hit what you shoot at, it goes to who cares, you loose.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top