JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
was allowed to join the Marine Corps. Graduated Oct 1975.
Field Radio Operator 2531
But the battalion needed radar repairmen
Went to Hawk school, became a HIPR 5923.
Became Mtce platoon Sgt, MMO
Released 1981.

HAWK_MIM-23.jpg

I'm not trying to "beat a dead horse" but civilians cannot possibly comprehend the unity that comes from military service. It is something drilled into your head and permeates every fiber of your being. It is a part of your soul until your dying breath. You take it to your grave.

Agreed?

Amen Captain! I have the utmost respect for anyone who wrote the check for there life to protect this amazing country!

I still salute when Old Glory passes, cry at Veteran's Day Ceremonies (without shame). This is what makes serving such a part of your life. When both R Lee Ermey and Barbara Bush died I found it hard to fight back the tears. Listening to the Star Spangled Banner play, my heart swells with pride.

(It comes with the territory, doesn't it)?

90-95 U.S.M.C.
I wished I stayed in to fight after 9/11. I had a difficult time adjusting when I got out and in some ways still am. Wouldn't trade my experiences for anything. Being a Marine is a family trade that started with my Pop, a Vietnam combat veteran. My son is currently carrying on the tradition with 3/4, Darkside. I salute those who served before me, those after me and those who we've lost. The Corps is a brotherhood that most will never get. Sleep tight Chesty wherever you are. Semper Fi.

90-95 U.S.M.C.
I wished I stayed in to fight after 9/11. I had a difficult time adjusting when I got out and in some ways still am. Wouldn't trade my experiences for anything. Being a Marine is a family trade that started with my Pop, a Vietnam combat veteran. My son is currently carrying on the tradition with 3/4, Darkside. I salute those who served before me, those after me and those who we've lost. The Corps is a brotherhood that most will never get. Sleep tight Chesty wherever you are. Semper Fi.

Welcome home, brother. Chesty Puller and R Lee Ermey are holding roll call.

From an old sailor, Semper Fidelis.

Last Edited:
I look at some of the young people and am shocked at how few could pass the physical and mental examinations required to serve this great country. We are the chosen few! I thank God for His grace and the ability to serve this nation. So few young people understand what it means to live in a nation where you must fight just to survive.

Thank God that I live here.

314 paratroopers, several air crews, and C47s were shot down by our own navy as the 82nd's 504th approached Sicily for a combat jump during WWII....so, for that and other reasons..... as much as I'd like to say I was a bad-azz, Command Sergeant Major, brave muther-trucker (& a hero) in a combat situation, I'll be just satisfied with my "run of the mill" Cold War service....1979-2003 (SFC/ E-7).....:D

Korea was the closest I've come to being in combat; technically it was.... a couple choppers were shot down, a few skirmishes on bridges and near the OP, but most the combat was (edit: STDs) and bar fights...:confused:. Now, I pray for peace in Korea so we might be able to bring home the remains of our missing Rangers and other GIs.

Being a jumpmaster, having logged 103 jumps, earning the right to wear the Ranger Tab; earning the Expert Infantry Badge and Air Assault Wings, using explosives, firing machineguns, leading men in tough situations (and protecting them from the officers), and being a Platoon Sergeant...was the life I chose....now the retirement check comes in as long as I'm breathing.:s0005:

My veteran status opened the doors for college AA-Graduate School; and that saved my life!

I learned so much about myself; things that may be missed in life unless we are put to the test.

Like learning not to internalize the realities around us; letting go of all the things that cannot or could not of been better done or better controlled.

Learning to match my expectations with reality, has kept my muzzles pointed in a safe direction (if you get my drift...).;)

Learning that service to our way of life has many different forms; First Responders, LEOs, CERT Teams, 2A proponents, people who work for a living, etc.

Last Edited:
USAF '67-'71. I entered at seventeen and volunteered for Nam but never got orders. Spent four years stateside humping freight around the azz ends of a couple of air bases. Nothing special in the least, a warehouseman in fatigues. I separated as an E4.

Back in that time, most of us just did what we were supposed to do and didn't snivel like a little bish. :rolleyes:

May all of the Brothers and Sisters we've lost rest in peace.

I was active duty Navy for nearly 22 years: submarines. I have been an LEO for almost 25 years. Both careers have wrought, deep, profound changes in me. Not all for the better.

Both careers have taken a toll on my loved ones.

Sometimes it all seems so futile.

You do what you can and let God handle the rest. You are but a human being. God is all. He is God, you are not.

My USMC service was in the 80s/90s... Cold War stuff. Went to some places in the southern hemisphere and Europe that I haven't ever been cleared to talk about. I can say that by the end of the 80s, the usefulness of a blonde-haired blue eyed op was waning... bearded and swarthy was in.
Sssshhhh... very hushhush. I look like Joe Dirt when I try to grow a beard. So gross.

Well, it all looks better in the rear view mirror. A former co-worker of mine (who later killed himself via 9mm bullet) was in Vietnam about the same time I was, summed it up by saying, "It was a million dollar experience that I wouldn't want to do over again for a nickel."

We hear various stories about what motivates soldiers in contemporary times to join up. During my time, some soldiers were being inducted through the draft, and others were enlisting voluntarily. I myself enlisted as a Regular Army soldier. In my experience, many of the enlistees joined out of a lack of direction in their lives. I think "doing the right thing by their country" was probably low on their list of priorities for joining.

In my own case, my dad was an air force officer, so had some of that background. He used to tell some of his stories, but of course officers live in a different world than enlisted men, and pilot officers live on another planet. Then there was the brother-in-law I used to have, a veteran of six years in the CAL ARNG, he used to spin some wonderful yarns about his experiences at summer camp. I laugh about his BS now but it sounded interesting at the time. So I was working a regular job out of high school, had no real responsibilities, got tired of working and quit, bummed around for about a month and then joined the US Army. It wouldn't be the first time I didn't follow the advice of my dear old dad, who said, "Why not join the air force and sleep in a nice, clean bed every night instead of a muddy hole in the ground?" I knew better, I enlisted for Arabic-Egyptian language school, thought that would keep me out of the dirt. That didn't work out, I washed out of language school. When you screw up your enlistment option, the army may do with you as it pleases. By luck only, I managed to still stay out of the dirt; the army made me a company clerk and that's what I did for the balance of my three year enlistment.

After my time in Vietnam, I thought I was fully and truly done with military service. But I got hooked up with a sergeant major in the CAL ARNG, joined up with them under the "Try One" program for active duty veterans, could take it one year at a time. Which I did, for six years, during most of which time I worked as a full-time employee in the Technician Program. Eventually I just plain got tired of performing military labor and went on to other work. Notwithstanding the speech by Richard Crenna as the ship captain in, "The Sand Pebbles," where his scathing remarks highlight the difference between military service and ordinary labor.

1989-1996 U.S Army MP, I did a little time in the Sandbox in Gulf #1 then some time in Bosnia. I wish I had stayed in but at the time raising my family was more important. I was raised as a military brat and grew up all over the word. My dad retired my sophomore year so I move often almost my entire childhood. I often wish I could've served during WWII, I am extremely envious and honored of that generation.

1989-1996 U.S Army MP, I did a little time in the Sandbox in Gulf #1 then some time in Bosnia. I wish I had stayed in but at the time raising my family was more important. I was raised as a military brat and grew up all over the word. My dad retired my sophomore year so I move often almost my entire childhood. I often wish I could've served during WWII, I am extremely envious and honored of that generation.

Man you gotta quit changing your avatar. Where did you go to basic? I joined in 89 as well.

Served exactly 20 years - Swab Jockey, Air Traffic Control, Criminal Investigations, Absentee Collections, Operations/Training.

Saw a dozen+ foreign lands in my first year. Still enjoy contact with a few lifelong buddies. Like many here, there was "collateral" damage (scars and metal parts). But who's to say that wouldn't have all happened anyway? Or worse?

GI Bill opened the door to a Masters Degree and some interesting post-military careers. Retired for real last year.

Given the reckless dead end road I traveled as a crazed teen with a GED and electric guitar in the 70s, I credit the USN with saving my life.

Lots of different motivations.

I was young, I was married, working full time and not making much money. I was also going to college full time when full time meant you were in school nearly 40 hours a week. It was tough, and I could visualize no end to this.

My draft number was low, and I saw this as a way out of this surreal existence. They said they were inducting me, but I would have time to join if I preferred, and beat the draft. I did so, and then had a voice in my Army career path. Towards the tail end of the Vietnam era, and the Cold War still raging, my unit was getting prepped for desert warfare, even then. Was on alert for Israel and the Yom Kippur War, but they settled things themselves, and I never left the states.

Changed my life forever. Never finished college. Had to get on with my life, so I chose an apprenticeship. And many Jody's said we were owed nothing.

My friends at home abandoned me when I was gone, so I now surround myself with Veterans. And it took us a long time to find each other.

35GuidonWav2.gif

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews