JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are you glad you served when you did, or would you have preferred serving at an earlier, (or later) time? What outfit? Why did you enlist, or were you inducted (drafted)?

Please share and let us know how it shaped/changed your life.

I was killing time before joining the AF and I got drafted, so I hurried down to join the AF in 1966.
I got to see a PI island that now has 5 star resorts, south Carolina, SVNM and Korea.
I learned the AF wasn't a career I wanted.
I worked on aircraft propeller systems.
I learned a lot about the world that I would never have seen in a small SO town.

Last Edited:
My Granddad and Dad served...most of the men I looked up too, when growing up also served.
My love of history , country and the desire to be "something" all played a big role in my enlisting.
Did I like everything about the Army...?
No...
At times and places there was way to much attention paid to "Mickey Mouse" BS and some Officers and NCO's seemed a bit too concerned with "Chickenpoop" details , rather than the more important issues at hand...
One posting was extremely cliquey...
That said...
I also learned a lot from my time in the Army.
How to work well with others from way different backgrounds than mine...
Self confidence , yet still being able to be a "team player"...
Got to see lots of the world...
Understanding the almost casual , brutal indifference of some men , can be worse than the violence of combat...
That men and women , can if shown the way , survive and rise above this casual indifference...

Some schools that I have gone to have skewed my view of things... ( for the better , I think..:D )
Airborne...
Ranger...
Air Assault...
S.E.R.E ...
All will change your attitude...:D

Four combat tours has given me the opportunity to appreciate what I have , where I live and the knowledge that things can always get worse...:eek::D
Some units that I was in include:
7th Infantry
18th Airborne Corps
Special Operations Command
101st Airborne
My primary jobs were as a L.R.R.P / L.R.S.D senior scout and team leader...in these units.

Would I have gone in at different time...?
I would think so...I do know that the time I was in had both it highs and lows...but the same can be said for any time period.
All in all , I am both proud and humbled by my service , the men and women I served with , the awards , medals and commendations earned , schools attended ....and the most importantly the respect and memory of those who served before me.
Andy

I'm glad to have served. Saw parts of the planet (good and bad) I would have never seen otherwise. When I was younger I wished I would have stayed with my favorite unit longer (3/325 ABCT (now deactivated) Vicenza Italy, now home to the 173rd). Now that I'm older I can really feel the wear and tear of my time of being more high speed than low drag. As an 11B I went to many of the same schools as Andy, I enlisted at 17 spending 9 months on Delayed Entry. Felt like I owed my country something. In retrospect I am honored to have worked with and known so many good soldiers in my time, and having walked the beaches of Normandy with Veterans of June 6th 1944 I cannot express my gratitude enough for those that came before and after me. True giants one and all.

I would not change one thing, about the time i went in (67) the branch i went into (USMC), where i ended up (VN) would i do it all over, YES. I was 19, felt it was the thing for me to do, plain and simple. I had worked as a kid starting at 10 yrs old, delivering papers. I had a goal, to be what my Dad was, a Marine. What i learned, my Dad asked me one time, ''why do you let the water run before you get a glass of it"? I said, to get it colder, he responded, ''one day,you'll wish you didn't waste all that good water". He was right, while walking through a rice paddy, filling my canteen on the go, it all came back to me. Drinking pea soup colored water, because that's all i had. Rolling up in a poncho liner, in the cold rain, eating cold food, out of a crat can.

Being shot at, mortared, hit with artillery and rockets, seeing things that end up tearing you up inside, and out. Still carrying a lot of that with me to this day. But, it made me appreciate every day of my life, every beat of my heart, to take nothing for granted, and, be thankful for all the people who prayed and continued to pray for us guy's over there.I/we are indebted to all of them forever. It made me a better person in a lot of ways. But, no, i'd still do it all over again.

Last Edited:
Would I do it again? Yes

Woud I have rather served at a different time? No. It was my time, just like it was my father's time in Korea and my Grandfather's time in the Pacific Theater during WWII.

I had plans to serve in the USAF. There was still a draft in place and I almost waited too long to sign up! As it was, I did end up in the Air Force and served my enlistment in Texas, Colorado, California, Michigan, Florida, Thailand and through it all I never regretted having volunteered to serve.

I would not change one thing, about the time i went in (67) the branch i went into (USMC), where i ended up (VN) would i do it all over, YES. I was 19, felt it was the thing for me to do, plain and simple. I had worked as a kid starting at 10 yrs old, delivering papers. I had a goal, to be what my Dad was, a Marine. What i learned, my Dad asked me one time, ''why do you let the water run before you get a glass of it"? I said, to get it colder, he responded, ''one day,you'll wish you didn't waste all that good water". He was right, while walking through a rice paddy, filling my canteen on the go, it all came back to me. Drinking pea soup colored water, because that's all i had. Rolling up in a poncho liner, in the cold rain, eating cold food, out of a C-rat can.

Being shot at, mortared, hit with artillery and rockets, seeing things that end up tearing you up inside, and out. Still carrying a lot of that with me to this day. But, it made me appreciate every day of my life, every beat of my heart, to take nothing for granted, and, be thankful for all the people who prayed and continued to pray for us guy's over there.I/we are indebted to all of them forever. It made me a better person in a lot of ways. But, no, i still do it all over again.

Bless you, brother and those of us that saw combat. I understand how death alters your perspective. The death I have seen has been in civilian life.

Absolutely glad I served. I enlisted (USMC) in 2003 and extended my enlistment to 2010. I had some personality conflicts with some leadership and decided to continue as a contractor until 2014. I would like to have joined a little earlier and caught the initial push into Iraq. For a local kid who never really traveled, I got to see the world and expand my horizons.

What started it all? I hopped on a plane and went to NYC a two days after 9/11 to volunteer and help out. It was an experience that really pissed me off somehow. I finished my degree and went to the recruiters office.

I would absolutely recommend military service to anyone for a lot of reasons.

Well, I pre-enlisted while in High School right after my 18th birthday. I was made an ADJ (Aviation Machinist's Mate, Jet) at "the convenience of the Navy". I excelled in "A" school but disliked what I was doing. I even begged them to move me to Special Services (Armed Forces Radio/Television) but they wouldn't budge. I learned duty and honor but wished that I could have served in a capacity where I could have made a greater impact during the final days in Vietnam.

I came to the party late and remained stateside, maintaining Electronic Warfare Aircraft jet engines for a training squadron. VAQ-129 Ault Field, USNAS Whidbey Island, Washington.

I would have killed to have worked in Armed Forces Radio. Psychological warfare can be more effective (and more efficient) than bullets during an armed conflict. There's nothing like subtle disinformation to ruin the enemy's entire afternoon.

There's an old drinking toast called "drinking a confusion to the enemy". There's real reasoning behind this. Every good Sailor, Marine, Soldier and Airman knows it.

Last Edited:
I wouldn't have had it any other way. I was fortunate enough not to have been deployed to a combat zone, which really pissed me off at the time. I really wanted to do my job.

Being part of the 7th ID in Fort Ord California we were locked down and ready several times but didn't get to go. I met some really good people and some really crappy officers that were dumber than a box of rocks. It shaped me into the person I am today and wouldn't change that.

My oath to this great country was worth every minute and I would do it again in a heart beat.

I'm not trying to "beat a dead horse" but civilians cannot possibly comprehend the unity that comes from military service. It is something drilled into your head and permeates every fiber of your being. It is a part of your soul until your dying breath. You take it to your grave.

Agreed?

Joined Army out of High school in 1960. Became a helicopter mech and separated three years later. It was a good start of a career in aviation and I am glad I did it. It was just not the life I wanted at the time. I guess things were different then with guys that had been drafted and really hated it. Made the best of it and was a Spec 5 with a year time in grade at discharge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top