JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's all quite true, this not an especially valuable specimen of a well-regarded but generally not highly collectible pistol, but my hesitation didn't come from the perspective of monetary value. I don't like altering historical firearms in general, even something like an SKS (of which something like 15 million have been made) I feel shouldn't really be messed with unless it's just very far-gone. The only thing that had me considering it for this gun is the fact that it's a bit pitted, plus how insanely gorgeous nickel-finished versions were/are.

View attachment 225799
(Photo Credit: coltautos.com)

Very nice pistol. My first one had no bluing left but wasn't pitted. If I had realized it could have looked like this I would have never traded it away. Wish I had kept it as a shooter anyway.
I now consider these 1903 Colts as I do S&W snubbies, If you can get one at a fair price get it and keep it. Your heirs will love you for it.

Keep as is, it's a beauty. If you refinished it you'd probably lock it in the safe because you wouldn't want to mess it up!. I would shoot it and carry the hell out of it!. Iffen you want something shiny, I'm sure lots of people on here would trade you something.

I was given an old rusted/pitted 1903 Colt like the one pictured below.
The inherent problem with these guns is the little metal cross bar that is right below the front sight.
If that part fails while shooting, the slide comes off the frame back towards the person squinting down the sights.
I couldn't get the courage to ever fire the gun, so I sold it to a collector that wanted the grips and other internals.

1903h_30064a.jpg

Yep. Fortunately for me the Hammerless 1903 uses a completely different design and is thus safer to shoot! More importantly, the Hammerless is chambered for ammo that's still readily available today; I could be wrong but I thought the Hammer 1903 was chambered for .38 ACP (not .380 ACP) which is much less common and costlier.

These are not particularly rare or hard to find, yours is a good condition with original finish. A refinish may diminish value to a collector but if you want a Pocket Colt with a new finish go for it. I've had several S&W safety hammerless models refinished in nickle as the original nickle finish was really poor condition. They did refinish very nicely.

PBX36A-G-F1-H_zpsbsgeruzi.jpg

If that's what floats your boat just make sure you can find a pair of original Colt ivory grip panels to go with it, anything else would be second best, and I don't think you would be satisfied. Faux ivory wouldn't cut it either. One thing a good plating shop would be able to do is hide those pits like they weren't ever there, Heck get the bore Chrome plated while you are at it, never have to worry about that again. A warning , if you do have it plated, make sure they know how to do firearms I suggest you ask around for those that do it for gunsmiths. If they forget to plug any of the holes and such that have critical dimensions you may not be able to put it back together, .002 or .003" can make a screw or a pin or possibly even a slide not fit remember It is cumulative. The Plating on the frame is added to that of the slide for instance. Better safe than sorry! When in doubt hire a pro. No I don't know one to recommend to you.
That is a fine piece of eye candy!
Gabby
PS maybe MADCRATEBUILDER can recommend someone!

If it was a bit worse, I would say RESTORE it, not refinish it. There is a difference, problem is finding a real craftsman, and paying him what he's worth.

Btw there is a difference in NICKLE PLATING THE EXTERIOR and HARD CHROME (chromium) PLATING the bore. Nickle PLATING is soft and yellow and requires a bonding substrate of copper. Chromium is exceptionally hard and bonds directly to steel on a molecular level.

Last Edited:
Can't believe I missed this thread way back when.

You could count me in the "Don not refinish it" crowd.
My wife had her grandfather's. It's in about the same condition. It shows it's age nicely. It's not supposed to look brand new...

These are great shooters.

Sorry for neglecting the obligatory photo! Here she be:

View attachment 224548
I also own one of these, and I would NOT refinish yours. These pistols were fire blued, producing a truly blue iridescent finish, which is hard to duplicate these days. You can see some of that original fire bluing on the trigger on yours. Mine is a type I and was made in 1915. I suspect yours is also a type I. I believe only the type I's had the scalloping on the grips. Later models had no scalloping. BTW, keep careful track of that two-tone magazine. Those original colt magazines are going for $200 and up lately.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top