JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It might seem like a good idea to the extra cautious new CCer If you carry empty chamber with the safety on. You are really double handicapping yourself, it's especially bad, when a situation that takes you by surprise. Few people are that vigilant, that they can't be taken by surprise by a determined attacker.

OODA loop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Adrenalin hits, and they are coming, your hands turn into flippers because you are in your OODA loop, they are there and focused, your brain freezes, your blood runs cold, you are trying to rack the slide and it wont budge.......

A guy walking through a parking lot a couple of days ago, as me and my Dad were getting in my pickup. He walked right up to the Drivers side front of the truck and I hit the locks on the door. He walked by, in a relatively empty parking lot, not 6" away from the side of my truck, It was unsettlingly close given the circumstances. I didn't start the truck to drive off, I didn't reach for my pistol, I just put the ball in his court, waited to see if he would make a move. We just watched him walk by, Dad and I both knew we had just target fixated as soon as he was clear of the tailgate. We were both facepalming it big time.

and fast Eddie hits the nail on the head......situational awareness is a lost art. People with their face to the ground, no eye contact seems to be normal now. I look everyone in the face and not confrontational but friendly. It lets them know you are looking and more important look ahead, think several steps ahead.

One in the chamber, as long as you keep you finger off of the trigger until you are ready to fire nothing should go off. Unless you have a crappy holster and it gets in the trigger guard and presses the trigger.

Don't assume you will have both hands available for any given amount of time. You may have one hand and be using the other to fend someone away. There are many reasons to carry. But one good rule is if you are uncomfortable with carrying while chambered, then you clearly are not comfortable enough to be carrying. Spend more time with your weapon and you will see that it won't go off on its own. Even when it's chambered.

I said in the beginning I did a quick search on this topic and didn't find anything, having been on forums for decades there are those that are annoyed by having the same topic come up at different times....sheesh guess I'm not perfect like some :rolleyes:

You just ask all the questions you need to. Some of us just got old, crusty and testy.
orygun, you must be gettin close to 80 now ?? :s0008::D

and fast Eddie hits the nail on the head......situational awareness is a lost art. People with their face to the ground, no eye contact seems to be normal now. I look everyone in the face and not confrontational but friendly. It lets them know you are looking and more important look ahead, think several steps ahead.

Yep you either make yourself a victim or you don't.
Sharp eye, make contact with all those around you and head up.
Perps look for lack of confidence and preoccupation with the ground or toys.
You can be 7' or 4'6" and if you carry yourself properly, they won't screw with you.
And even if they do, you will be ready for them.
NEVER BE Anyone's VICTIM.
It is a state of being. A belief system. Think to yourself if anyone breaks that barrier they will
either leave with 3 holes, or at least 3 broken bones. Carry that with you and you will do well. It projects.

If you're in a situation where you need your gun, you will not have time to rack a round.

^^THIS!!^^

If you're all hinky about it, carry a revolver.. a loaded one.

^^AND THIS!^^ Actually carrying a revolver was how I got out of the bad habit of carrying without one chambered. Once you get used to carrying a DA revolver, a semi-auto withone in the chamber is not a big deal.

I stole this from Mtn Biker over on XDTalk. Good food for thought.

"Thinks of this scenario; Dark night out in the parking lot of your favorite grocery store. You notice a large guy in a hoodie coming at you from across the lot. Your gun is not chambered so do you pull it out and rack the slide in view of the guy just to find out he is the bag boy and he is bringing you your wallet you left at the counter? If you have a round chambered maybe you just casually slip your hand under your coat and wait a bit knowing its ready to go if you need it?"

I said in the beginning I did a quick search on this topic and didn't find anything, having been on forums for decades there are those that are annoyed by having the same topic come up at different times....sheesh guess I'm not perfect like some :rolleyes:

I understand that you were not a member at the time the last post in the thread I mentioned. I only agreed with another member's comment and then directed you to 12 pages that would contain opinions on your question. Thought you might find it helpful. Guess not.

Oh, forgot to address the question in this new, and "improved" thread.... :D

If you are carrying a semi-automatic handgun for personal protection, my opinion is that you are a living in a special place if you assume that you will always be able to rack the slide when you need your gun. Add to that the time needed to draw the gun....

Whoever mentioned carrying a DA revolver if you're unsure about carrying a semi auto with a round chambered gave some good advice.

I've not carried a revolver concealed for decades (and no, Taku I ain't 80!). I do remember not being completely comfortable carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, so I used thumb break holsters. (the strap goes between hammer and frame) It didn't take long to learn that wasn't needed for daily carry.

Carrying an auto without a round chambered is akin to having a spare tire with no air.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top