JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which Powder For .45acp

• Titegroup

Votes: 4 50.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hey all, I'm getting ready to reload some .45acp +P. I'll be loading 200gr RN plates bullets. I've got Titegroup, #5, and #7 to put underneath it. The Accurate data says #7 will get 1180fps which is about 100fps faster than #5. I've never loaded with Titegroup before.

The load data from the Hodgdon site has data for 200gr SPR JHP and cast LSWC. I'm primarily looking for speed and I am less concerned with felt recoil. The gun I'll be shooting it out of is an M&P .45 full size.

My question to those whom have reloaded .45acp with Titegroup before, what is your experience? I know about the "stain" and don't care. I'm just looking for pros or cons in regards to any of the aforementioned powders. I've primarily load 9mm until now. Thanks all for your responses in advance.

Loaded with titegroup for years, ran out, and started experimenting.
Tried AA #2, 2400, Autocomp, SR7625, Unique and Power Pistol.
On a lark, tried 231 - that stuff is fantastic in my 1911's.
That said, titegroup was great in my CZ75-40 and 9mms. Was going to try developing loads with 296 for those.

4.8 grs of Titegroup behind 200gr SWC , great load.

Slow powers wll generally get you more Speed.

But with this environment grab what you can, any of what you listed will work great.

4.8 grs of Titegroup behind 200gr SWC , great load.

Slow powers wll generally get you more Speed.

But with this environment grab what you can, any of what you listed will work great.

I would say slow powders will get you more speed, but maybe not so much in a low pressure round. I would predict that due to a lack of pressure AA 7 could leave unburnt powder. I'd vote for either TiteGroup or AA5.

I always consult a burn rate chart to give a better idea of how powders relate to each other.

Any of the above works really well. Like above, 200 grain LSWC were my jam. I loaded a ton of those back when I shot 45acp. My load was 4 grains titegroup. Yes it is under most published loads, but it ran well in my guns and was equivalent of a small bunny farting.

In my experience, Titegroup is a good powder for .45 ACP. Mostly I've loaded 230 gr. bullets, at 4.4 gr. which is about in the middle of the recommended range.

Moving into slow burning powders to gain speed isn't in the design concept of .45 ACP as originally envisioned. I.e., as a relatively low pressure pistol cartridge.

WW 231 is another good one for .45 ACP, as stated above.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top