JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey gang,

I've scoured Google and found a lot of mentions that Hodgdon lists 3.1gn of Titegroup working with .223
I did this load with some 55gr-62gr FMJ and had 2 squibs.

The only confirmed source I could find on Titegroup and .223 was on this forum, a user reportedly used 4.0gn of Titegroup: https://www.silencertalk.com/forum/view ... 98#p709898

Does anyone else have confirmed loads of .223 with TG?

thanks!
N

You'll need something to hold the powder in place. Otherwise you'll get squibs because the primer is the only propellant getting ignited. The powder will be wherever it lands inside the case that has room for another 20 grains of powder.

I use 4.0 grains of TiteGroup in my .40 for soft loads. Using only 3.1 for .223 sounds like an awesome recipe for GGB (Gun Go BOOM!)
Hell's bells you could probably throw the bullet farther than that load would push it.

I see that Hodgdon actually lists this as a legitimate load on their website for 55 grain boolits. Proof positive to me that just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Ya all realize the link from the OP was from a suppressor based forum. He is obviously working up a subsonic load. Tons of pistol powders work safely in rifle cartridges with a bit of tinkering. They can result in pretty decent powder to pressure loads that push what would normally be 3000fps down to 800-1000 or even less.

Tons of pistol powders work safely in rifle cartridges with a bit of tinkering. They can result in pretty decent powder to pressure loads that push what would normally be 3000fps down to 800-1000 or even less.
Ditto this.

Definitely do your research but subsonic loads are nothing new and have been used with a variety of powders and calibers for a long time.

I typically load 8-10 grains of Unique in 30-30 with excellent (and extremely accurate results) I have also known of a few loading very low charges of Bullseye in 30-30 with 30 cal round balls for varmint loads.

Also consider how many load fairly low powder charges (like 4 -7 grains) in .357 mag cases and a .357 mag case can touch nearly 20 grains filled with some powders (like 296).

From the Hogdgon website;
I imagine the pressure goes up quite a bit running through a 1:7 or 1:8 barrel.

Twist: 1:12.000"
Barrel Length: 24.000"
Trim Length: 1.750"
BULLET WEIGHT CASE PRIMER
55 GR. HDY FMJ WINCHESTER WINCHESTER SR, SMALL RIFLE

Starting LoadMaximum Loads
ManufacturerPowderBullet Diam.C.O.LGrs.Vel. (ft/s)PressureGrs.Vel. (ft/s)Pressure
HodgdonTitegroupBUY NOW0.224"2.200"null3.11,0644,000 CUP

I wouldn't think you would have gotten two squibs with a reported velocity of 1,064 with that load.

When I get a chance I am going to load a couple rounds with that exact data and see what happens in my .223 (NEF with 18" Hbar).
I'm surprised a bullet going 1000fps got stuck in the barrel.

yeah I did that load, and got two stuck bullets

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads