JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Bay Area" guess I missed that. I presume San Francisco Bay area? .223 powder up here ahs been fairly available from time to time. No clue what getting powder in Cali might be like.
I'm pretty sure you have to have all twelve covid shots before your background check can begin..

Lull, kidding?

Waaiiittt a minute....

A 1911 .223 conversion? This is gonna require pictures and a detailed explanation!

I have nothing against reduced loads. BUT:

removed my snarky comment.
Oh come on, where's the fun??

Definitely do your research but subsonic loads are nothing new and have been used with a variety of powders and calibers for a long time.
Yes but. It's best if you know what you're doing.

I guess I don't get trying to slow a bullet down to the point that it barely leaves the barrel. Not a risk I care to take.
There are things you can do, and things you oughtn't do. It's just my opinion, but .223 has a basic role and reduced charges don't seem to make much sense to me. If it doesn't silence well, maybe it isn't a good candidate for a silencer. Which isn't to say I haven't loaded some reduced .223's, just not down to a pinch of something fast like TG. I used to load some softer rounds for a T/C Contender in .223, also for my bolt rifle. Using SR 4759.

I'm a lot more comfortable with loading down 20th Century, typically larger bore centerfire cartridges. Which makes some sense under a number of circumstances.

Now if a guy had only one rifle, I'd say make it do as many different jobs as you need to. Just don't blow yourself or the rifle up. Having only one powder in your supplies to use, I'd say wait until you get an appropriate one.

I have nothing against reduced loads. BUT:

Oh come on, where's the fun??

Yes but. It's best if you know what you're doing.

There are things you can do, and things you oughtn't do. It's just my opinion, but .223 has a basic role and reduced charges don't seem to make much sense to me. If it doesn't silence well, maybe it isn't a good candidate for a silencer. Which isn't to say I haven't loaded some reduced .223's, just not down to a pinch of something fast like TG. I used to load some softer rounds for a T/C Contender in .223, also for my bolt rifle. Using SR 4759.

I'm a lot more comfortable with loading down 20th Century, typically larger bore centerfire cartridges. Which makes some sense under a number of circumstances.

Now if a guy had only one rifle, I'd say make it do as many different jobs as you need to. Just don't blow yourself or the rifle up. Having only one powder in your supplies to use, I'd say wait until you get an appropriate one.
My Boy has an AR/.223 that he suppressed. I thought it was plenty quiet? But the smoke blowback in the face wouldn't be acceptable to me. He doesn't load so doesn't have the choice to play with powders.

My Boy has an AR/.223 that he suppressed. I thought it was plenty quiet? But the smoke blowback in the face wouldn't be acceptable to me. He doesn't load so doesn't have the choice to play with powders.
That right there is why I built a rifle and few pistols that have a piston kit.
I love the smell of getting powder in the morning but I do not like it in my eyes, even though I wear glasses it still gets in there.

Hey gang,

I've scoured Google and found a lot of mentions that Hodgdon lists 3.1gn of Titegroup working with .223
I did this load with some 55gr-62gr FMJ and had 2 squibs.

The only confirmed source I could find on Titegroup and .223 was on this forum, a user reportedly used 4.0gn of Titegroup: https://www.silencertalk.com/forum/view ... 98#p709898

Does anyone else have confirmed loads of .223 with TG?

thanks!
N
I just picked up another 7.5+ pounds of titegroup for $125. I will be exploring reduced rifle loads using titegroup when I start shooting again. This site has some great info using pistol powders with cast rifle loads.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top