JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OP have you tried magnum primers?

Ive had 45 not ignite Titegroup in the past when loading low. I was seeing how low I could go and get functionality. Went down to 1.4 grains with 180 lead SWC. Got a few stuck halfway down the tube. The unburnt powder was the main giveaway. I want to say, without checking the 45 notes somewhere in a pile of my dead calibers, that I was getting 400-500fps when they went bang. Otherwise the typical pop of a squib was the result.

In my 223 adventures, I briefly tried cooking up subs. Never used Titegroup as it never occurred to me to try it. I want to say I was using Unique as it was way fluffier and I got good ignition. FPS, again without checking notes, was 900ish. They did not cycle at all in an AR, but behind a bolt gun it was pretty fun to dick around with. I want to say I was using 4-5 grains. Bunny farts.

Use cotton wadding to hold the powder in place. I have a load for my .303 with 13.3 grains of Red dot using cotton to fill up the extra space (150 grain bullet). Never had a squib and the kids love shooting them. (also have a similar load for my 7.7x58 rifles) Saves on brass.

So something to hold the powder closer to the primer might be the trick.

Hey gang,

I've scoured Google and found a lot of mentions that Hodgdon lists 3.1gn of Titegroup working with .223
I did this load with some 55gr-62gr FMJ and had 2 squibs.

The only confirmed source I could find on Titegroup and .223 was on this forum, a user reportedly used 4.0gn of Titegroup: https://www.silencertalk.com/forum/view ... 98#p709898

Does anyone else have confirmed loads of .223 with TG?

thanks!
N
check out second to last entry.

20230422_081737.jpg

I guess I don't get trying to slow a bullet down to the point that it barely leaves the barrel. Not a risk I care to take. I use common sense. If I'm shooting something with a long barrel I am not going to use one of the powders in the top 20 fastest powders on the burn rate chart. I don't care what it says.

Slower powders don't work all that great in short barrels because they don't have time to burn completely. Resulting in mostly harmless wasted powder. OR, a poor burn and stuck bullet in an extreme case And fast powder in long barrels burns completely well before the bullet has exited the barrel. Resulting in the possibility of a bullet stuck in the barrel.

Last Edited:
I guess I don't get trying to slow a bullet down to the point that it barely leaves the barrel. Not a risk I care to take. I use common sense. If I'm shooting something with a long barrel I am not going to use one of the powders in the top 20 fastest powders on the burn rate chart. I don't care what it says.

Slower powders don't work all that great in short barrels because they don't have time to burn completely. Resulting in mostly harmless wasted powder. OR, a poor burn and stuck bullet in an extreme case And fast powder in long barrels burns completely well before the bullet has exited the barrel. Resulting in the possibility of a bullet stuck in the barrel.
Suppressors change outlooks on things. Spend 600-1200 plus the guberment tax on a tube of metal that doesn't truly make 223/556 all that much quieter and you look for ways to make it truly quiet.

Suppressors change outlooks on things. Spend 600-1200 plus the guberment tax on a tube of metal that doesn't truly make 223/556 all that much quieter and you look for ways to make it truly quiet.
Oh I'll give you that. But it doesn't change the fact that TiteGroup seems like a poor choice when there are many powders between that and H335.

RE : Reloading .223 Rem with 55-62 grain FMJ bullets

Well, for my purposes and speaking for ME. IF, a friend asked, "I'd say....."

1682188893367.png

Aloha, Mark

PS......that all being said. Yes, there are plenty of other people out there doing some stuff that I wouldn't. "Choice".......it can be wonderful and dangerous.

1682189305244.png

Last Edited:
You mean you going to give up loading .223 all together?
Yeah I bought it just to see if I can use the existing powders I had for a 1911 .223 conversion, but I have so many different projects going on right now I don't really want to hunt down another powder and keep swapping calibers on my press.

Yeah I bought it just to see if I can use the existing powders I had for a 1911 .223 conversion, but I have so many different projects going on right now I don't really want to hunt down another powder and keep swapping calibers on my press.
Waaiiittt a minute....

A 1911 .223 conversion? This is gonna require pictures and a detailed explanation!

"Bay Area" guess I missed that. I presume San Francisco Bay area? .223 powder up here ahs been fairly available from time to time. No clue what getting powder in Cali might be like.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top