JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My buddy wants to help him get started reloading 300 blackout for a suppressed AR SBR. He'll be getting his own dies. Other than that he is going to use my equipment. I don't use a case gauge. But I figure he'll need one.

I have been reloading for straight wall pistol and revolver for quite a while. And for bottleneck 308 bolt action maybe two years. But I still consider myself a noob.

Any tips or pitfalls to look out for are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

He should consider investing in the tooling to convert .223/5.56 brass.. 2" chop saw from harbor freight, and a jig from ebay... all in cost me less than $50 and it paid for itself in an hour.
A lee taper crimp die is a must. Some of the lighter bullets don't seat in very far. Here's a pic of a case I cut to get seating depth.. as you can see this Speer 130grain HP isn't very deep in the neck for a COL of 2.040" IMG_2859.JPG
Also I just picked up a set of RCBS small base dies, and they seem to work a lot better for my barrel. I had an issue with some cases getting hung up with the Lee full length dies.
For good reference check out "Johnny's Reloading Bench" on youtube. He has some great videos.

Last Edited:
One good thing about 300bo is that as long as you're using the right powder...( I highly recommend cfeblk for sub and super). it's hard to accidentally over load, as most loads are near or at compressed and still well below max psi. (55,000psi)
that said... ALWAYS follow manufacturer recommended data, and of course...
don't do it wrong;)

My buddy wants to help him get started reloading 300 blackout for a suppressed AR SBR. He'll be getting his own dies. Other than that he is going to use my equipment. I don't use a case gauge. But I figure he'll need one.

I have been reloading for straight wall pistol and revolver for quite a while. And for bottleneck 308 bolt action maybe two years. But I still consider myself a noob.

Any tips or pitfalls to look out for are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
I started loading in 1976 and still learn and when I load a new caliber it is almost like starting over.

Oops guess I forgot to mention subsonic. I have a bunch of Hornady 208 gr BTHP match I bought by mistake. Anyone used those for 300 blk?
Don't think he'll be making his own brass out of 5.56 yet since he has a couple of hundred 300 laying around. But I'll tell him to start saving the 5.56 . (I do whenever I find it even though I don't have a 5.56 rifle. Yet...)

Oops guess I forgot to mention subsonic. I have a bunch of Hornady 208 gr BTHP match I bought by mistake. Anyone used those for 300 blk?
Don't think he'll be making his own brass out of 5.56 yet since he has a couple of hundred 300 laying around. But I'll tell him to start saving the 5.56 . (I do whenever I find it even though I don't have a 5.56 rifle. Yet...)
208 are perfect for sub sonic 300 BO... I just loaded 100 Hornady ELD 208's a few weeks ago, I don't have a suppressor yet, but my 8.3" AR pistol loved them.
I used Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading
to get my load data, and I referenced this video
He tests a few loads in two barrels(8.5" & 16") both suppressed, and unsupressed. Good stuff!

Last Edited:
If I remember correctly, you load on the upper side and work your way down to subsonic, finding a subsonic load that will still cycle the bolt. (Assuming this is for an AR)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews