JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This has been on my list of things to do for a very long time, and now I think it is time to pull the trigger. I am pretty sure I know what I want, but I like to get feedback to find out if there is a "don't know what you don't know" floating around out there.

My current plan is to get one dedicated .22 cal suppressor for my .223 defensive rifle, and one .30+ cal suppressor to fit onto various hunting and sporting rifles.

I am looking at the Griffin Paladin for the .22 can, and the Bushwhacker 46 for the multi-cal can.

Must have features are high power cartridge ratings and user severability.
Like to have features are low weight, low profile and short length.

If anyone has any advice or recommendations, especially with regards to the multi-cal can, I would love to hear your feedback.

The Bushwhacker 45 and similar multi-caliber, multi-platform always seem like a good idea on paper...until you start mucking around with constantly reconfiguring the thing every time you want to use it.

Put on paper what you actually want to suppress, what you're using it for and pick accordingly.

I too have been tempted to by the BW45, but a one-size-fits-nothing approach has never been my style.

The Bushwhacker 45 and similar multi-caliber, multi-platform always seem like a good idea on paper...until you start mucking around with constantly reconfiguring the thing every time you want to use it.

Put on paper what you actually want to suppress, what you're using it for and pick accordingly.

I too have been tempted to by the BW45, but a one-size-fits-nothing approach has never been my style.
For sure I want to suppress a 6.5, a .308, a .357 and a .44. These are my hunting calibers and I do like the idea of hunting suppressed. I would not be re-configuring it at the range, swapping back and forth every 5 min or so, I would be configuring it for a specific hunt or more likely a full season. The BW has baffles and endcaps for a good chunk of these diameters and I would be planning on getting them all for best performance in the planned situation.

I am not sure I want to buy 4 cans when I will only need to use them one at a time. (the only exception to this is the defensive use rifle, where the can needs to live full time. That one gets its own dedicated can).

Do you still think a multi-call is unreasonable for this use case? Or is the complaint more about range time when you have all the rifles on the table at the same time? (serous question, not facetious. Looking for feedback)

Do you still think a multi-call is unreasonable for this use case? Or is the complaint more about range time when you have all the rifles on the table at the same time? (serous question, not facetious. Looking for feedback)
I can't answer that for you, it's up to you.

Personally, I don't go to a range and certainly don't bother with 4 different guns at once. I don't like putzing around with gear though when I do stuff, so it's worth it to me to have multiple suppressors that fit a particular application. I just bought a dedicated can for my Sig MPX because swapping my pistol can from my G29 was more of a hassle than I wanted to deal with, plus the MPX looks cooler with a 1.5" diameter can then a typical 1.375" pistol can, which is the most important aspect of suppressor ownership!

As far as hunting, the Bushwhacker comes in at around 20oz, IIRC. The Sportsman is around 11oz. Every ounce counts on my hunting rifle.

The cost is inconsequential when amortized over the rest of your life. You don't have to buy them all at once.

Nothing wrong with multi-cal cans but they are usually on the heavier end of the spectrum and it usually costs a couple hundred dollars for the parts you need for running it with each specific caliber which could be used towards another can/stamp.

5.56 is loud no matter what can you go with assuming you are putting it on an AR15 due to the port pop. If you aren't going to get multiple cans then I would get a can that is primarily for the 5.56 but in 30 cal so you can use on other platforms. A great can with many uses that I would choose for an AR15 is the Dead Air Nomad Ti or just the normal Nomad if you didn't want to pay the premium for weight savings. The Nomad Ti will then make an awesome hunting rifle can for those rifles 30 cal or under.

I would then look to the Dead Air Primal for suppressing .45 cal and .357. It is rated to handle up to 338 Lapua. Almost as important though as can choice is what you choose to use as the mounting solution. I highly recommend looking at a taper lock solution with my preference being the Plan B standard and my preferred manufacturer for muzzle devices and can adapters is Rearden.

Being in Springfield I would go talk to the guys at McCluskey Arms as they see and do a lot of suppressor related work in addition to carrying various options. They can also source just about any can your looking for.

Last piece of advice, if you can get some trigger time behind some cans it will help tremendously with dialing in what you really want. I got lucky with my first couple cans and only regret one of my purchases. Every choice you make with suppressors usually has hundreds to thousands of dollars in future cost implications. Example being that I started with the Keymo mounting system and came to dislike it for my uses and changing over to Plan B has caused me to spend a couple thousand dollars in new muzzle devices and can adapters replacing the Keymo parts.

I have a dead air primal .46 cal can which I like better than my sandman on my ARs in 5.56 and .308. I also use it for .45 ACP. My opinion is a multi caliber can is a pretty good thing

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews