JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I searched 15 reloading component suppliers today to check availability of primers, bullets, and powder. Also looked at ammo. Compared to 4 months ago, Its obvious that the supply side of this is starting to improve and pricing is dropping. Maybe its time to start shedding some that panic priced hoard cache?

I searched 15 reloading component suppliers today to check availability of primers, bullets, and powder. Also looked at ammo. Compared to 4 months ago, Its obvious that the supply side of this is starting to improve and pricing is dropping. Maybe its time to start shedding some that panic priced hoard cache?
I hope they all sell it after a return towards normalcy, at half going rate. Great way to stock up...

Are you talking stuff you will never really use? Everyone has to decide what works for them of course but me? I am what many would call "hoarder" but, the people calling me that are just the people who refuse to learn and listen and ended up caught with pants down yet again. Everything I "hoard" is stuff I shoot. Sure it was temping a few times when cases of some ammo were selling at 3 times what I paid for it to unload some but, I will shoot it if I live long enough. So I take having it and being able to shoot anytime I want over making some quick bucks. Now if I had bought a few sets of the same dies or such? Sure would have no problem making a few bucks but, even though I have not rolled in a while I would never sell the stuff I have since its nice to know its there if I need it. Everyone has to decide what works for them of course. I have ZERO problem with people making some bank because they were smart enough to buy low and now can sell high.

I like to trade more than I like taking money for my stuff. From what I see ammo is becoming more available and prices slowly falling. Powder is no problem but primers are the rub because you can't buy them off the shelf anytime.

Things are changing all over and the market is headed that way.

Aren't you supposed to sell when the supply is short and the demand is high? Why sell when the demand slows at a loss?

Aren't you supposed to sell when the supply is short and the demand is high? Why sell when the demand slows at a loss?
YEP! I have showed my kids what I have a few times. Telling them when I shuffle off they can do with it as they please. Right now none of them are much into shooting. Suspect all the rolling gear would just be sold. I told them if they want to sell at least one of them should buy out the others and wait. Sooner or later another panic will hit and the stuff will be worth a LOT more, and will sell instantly. Now of course whether they will listen or not? Who knows. :D

Normally that's the way markets in transition work but this market was fear and panic driven. Folks were afraid they may not be able to replace stuff.

Myself, as prices go down it makes it easier to shoot.

I like to trade more than I like taking money for my stuff. From what I see ammo is becoming more available and prices slowly falling. Powder is no problem but primers are the rub because you can't buy them off the shelf anytime.

Things are changing all over and the market is headed that way.
Every time we have one of these the last thing to return to the shelves is primers. For easy to understand reason. The people making them make them both for retail and for the factory ammo. So when they can't make them fast enough they of course make sure the ammo side has all they need and only the rest go to market. After the shelves fill with ammo the primers will come. 18 months ago some of the on line places were having primers on sale with at times them offering to eat the Haz-Mat fee to get people to buy. No one was interested. Primers like the rest properly stored will outlive the owner. Yet few will keep a supply when they were on sale no matter how many of these panics we go through. A lot of this last one is new owners but, a lot of the people caught yet again pants down have seen multiple panic shortages and seem to never learn. :s0092:

IMHO the answer is to add to your stash when prices get low.

Recrimination and second guessing yourself is a waste of time.

Never again get caught short of ammo or components.
You get it done by doing it.
As prices come down get more.

You never know what the scumbag politico types are going to do next but nothing I see happening lately inspires much confidence....

Last Edited:
Normally that's the way markets in transition work but this market was fear and panic driven. Folks were afraid they may not be able to replace stuff.

Myself, as prices go down it makes it easier to shoot.
All panics are driven by fear and panic. This one is no different than the others.

Every time we have one of these the last thing to return to the shelves is primers. For easy to understand reason. The people making them make them both for retail and for the factory ammo. So when they can't make them fast enough they of course make sure the ammo side has all they need and only the rest go to market. After the shelves fill with ammo the primers will come. 18 months ago some of the on line places were having primers on sale with at times them offering to eat the Haz-Mat fee to get people to buy. No one was interested. Primers like the rest properly stored will outlive the owner. Yet few will keep a supply when they were on sale no matter how many of these panics we go through. A lot of this last one is new owners but, a lot of the people caught yet again pants down have seen multiple panic shortages and seem to never learn. :s0092:
I have plenty of primers for personal use as I lived through past shortages. I use primers as the market Guage on prices directions. Primers on the shelves means ammo caught up with demand. Like 22lr, it's the leader in the market. :s0093:

All panics are driven by fear and panic. This one is no different than the others.
True enough and high prices are not always panic driven but due to shortages. Right now computer chips are in short supply and computer repair folks can't get them to repair down units. Can't get chips to build cars, car shortages means rental cars are sky high. Shortages drive prices up too.

I think the panic is over when it comes to guns and ammo but the shortages are still there.:s0093:

True enough and high prices are not always panic driven but due to shortages. Right now computer chips are in short supply and computer repair folks can't get them to repair down units. Can't get chips to build cars, car shortages means rental cars are sky high. Shortages drive prices up too.

I think the panic is over when it comes to guns and ammo but the shortages are still there.:s0093:
Fair, I should of said virtually all gun related ones were due to panic and fear. Things like gloves, electronics, chlorine, had other causation.

Fair, I should of said virtually all gun related ones were due to panic and fear. Things like gloves, electronics, chlorine, had other causation.
S&W 29 44mag was short in supply some years ago and premiums were gotten for them. Was a gun panic because it was supply and demand. In those days you could get more than double retail for a Dirty Harry 44.

I think things are changing for a number of reasons but I see prices falling until the next problem gets here. I intend to stock up again so I can shoot during the next crisis. Thinking prices will be higher so I expect to pay more than last time.

I want to buy when 22lr is 6 cents, 223 is 22cents and 9mm is 22 cents.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top