JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
INFO: First time reloading set up suggestions?
I like to know more about reloading: 5.56x45, 7.62x51, .308, 9mm, 40mm....
These are the reloads i plan.
Any suggestions and and learning experiences you care to share.
Best brands:
Manufactures?

Do a little research, here on this forum and elsewhere. There are oodles of threads on this very subject. Equipment, setup, brands, methods, etc.
It's a rabbit hole for sure.
Have you reviewed any books yet? Which manuals do you have? Do you know anyone who reloads?
Check out videos by Ultimate Reloader and the numerous other Youtube channels teaching/preaching reloading.

My best advice would be to find a mentor if possible and have a few loading sessions with them. Also, get a loading manual or 2 and read the tutorial sections and google some you tube vids on loading. GL!

All I can do is relate my own experience, which has worked extremely well for me. I'm quite mechanically inclined which played a big part I'm sure.

I started out with this kit in Nov. 2011...

I first loaded .45acp with a used die set I got from a member here at NWFA. I bought a used vibratory case cleaner. I already had calipers. As time went by I bought mostly new die sets as I added calibers to the safe.

Times have changed and it's not nearly as economical getting into loading your own as it was 10 years ago. You should consider whether this hobby would be a passion, or just something fun to try. Because if it's not going to be a passion for you it might be a pretty expensive lesson. Considering the difficulties and expense coming up with all the components you need to get going and keep going. On the bright side, you've got a helluva great resource here at NWFA for any info, and components too.

Is that a blue single stage press to the right of that turret press? Might be a hint for a green horn beginner there?
Probably a Frankford Arsenal hunk a junk.
The Lee turret is an awesome single stage by removing the index rod.. takes about two seconds.

Start with straight walled pistol cartridges and a single stage press. Grab a good manual (hornady, Speer, nosler, etc) and read read read. As mentioned, watch reloading vids on YouTube.

Move on to bottle neck rifle cartridges later on as there is more to them and more to worry about.

Good luck!

All I can do is relate my own experience, which has worked extremely well for me. I'm quite mechanically inclined which played a big part I'm sure.

I started out with this kit in Nov. 2011...

I first loaded .45acp with a used die set I got from a member here at NWFA. I bought a used vibratory case cleaner. I already had calipers. As time went by I bought mostly new die sets as I added calibers to the safe.

Times have changed and it's not nearly as economical getting into loading your own as it was 10 years ago. You should consider whether this hobby would be a passion, or just something fun to try. Because if it's not going to be a passion for you it might be a pretty expensive lesson. Considering the difficulties and expense coming up with all the components you need to get going and keep going. On the bright side, you've got a helluva great resource here at NWFA for any info, and components too.
WOW! the price of that reloader kit has gone up since I got mine!

WOW! the price of that reloader kit has gone up since I got mine!
Ain't it though!? Mine was $249.00 in Nov 2011. That was a black Friday deal at BiMart. And it had the 5-0-5 scale. But considering the "Times"? Some of them should be for sale down the road. Hope they don't expect to get their full investment back. :s0112:

Ain't it though!? Mine was $249.00 in Nov 2011. That was a black Friday deal at BiMart. And it had the 5-0-5 scale. But considering the "Times"? Some of them should be for sale down the road. Hope they don't expect to get their full investment back. :s0112:
bought mine in the 90"s, think it was right at $200

Buy what suits your needs and personality. Buggest and best is truly irrelevant if it doesn't fit into what you want to do.

Lee is the least expensive but will still produce better quality ammo than you can buy.

When considering brands. Do you want the biggest and best out there? How much are you willing to pay for spectacular customer service and a lifetime warranty? Does any of that matter? If not then forget about the brand wars. Answer those and you can narrow it down to 2 manufactureers real easy.

When considering types of presses. How much do you shoot? Are you looking for mass amounts of plinking ammo or a couple of hundred finely tuned rounds a year? This will be the difference in single stage, turret, or progressive.

I bought the hornady single stage starting out. Would have served every need i had until i found out what a kick shooting my own 38 specials. When i go out i can through several hundred rounds of those in a session real easy.
So i upgraded to the hornady progressive. I shoot a lot of caliobers and wasnt willing to spend the extra amount on a dillon. Therir caliber chnages were a lot more expensive at the time. Probably still are.

with all that said. go down to a pawn shop, buy a old rcbs jr , pacific, or herters. get some dies and crank out some rounds and see how you even like it. then go from there. never hurts to have a single stage set up for decapping or whatever you want to do with it when you expand your hobby,

Read the book, any reloading manual will do though for the broadest perspective I like the Lyman because they don't make powder or bullets. Start with a single stage press, don't worry on down the road you'll still use it. Pick one straight walled pistol caliber and work through all the nuances to make the ammo you like best. Once you've got the one caliber down that knowledge and skill set will help you on the next caliber.

One advantage of rolling your own is that once you understand the basics you can pretty much reload for anything
The principle is the same
Get a reloading manual and I bet they have a section on how to reload - start there and ask lots of questions here. Its detailed work , you need to pay close attention but its not hard

Last Edited:
Start with minimal equipment and several loading manuals, pick one caliber, one powder... load, and experiment, shoot, till you can see it all in your mind and can produce a first class product. Now try one or more other powders, add equipment as needed since by then you will know what will be helpful and what's a waste of money...Then expand to the rest of calibers if you are still wired about it, they will be a piece of cake.
Regardless of your start up choices, unless you have a photographic memory, always keep concise and copious amounts of records.

Here's a couple thoughts on starting out.
You can either start with the round you shoot the most or the one that costs the most!
When you pick the brand of press you will start with, Buy that company's manual! They all give really detailed start up instructions that are tailored to their own equipment!
If, You start with Lee equipment, invest in good lock Rings, so that once you get your dies set they wont loose their settings when you take them out of the press. They are well worth the investment!
Personally I would only be looking at single stage presses to start out. Even though I have several progressive presses, I still use my single stage press the most! When you have learned to set and adjust dies and diagnose problems, It will be so much easier to setup a press with several things going on at once!
If I'm loading less than a couple hundred at one sitting I use the single stage. I also deprime all my brass before cleaning, on the SS press. And I resize bullets on the SS. It is just a tool I would not be without!
Good Luck DR

If testing the waters to see if it's for you, you don't have to go out and buy a $500 brand new single stage setup.

You do need to learn enough to know what you're buying, but I see good deals all the time on used equipment. You don't see them as often as you used to, but I found a really nice older Rock Chucker press a while back for a friend, for $50, and a decent Lyman scale for $20. I had an old Herters powder measure lying around that I gave him.

This stuff will probably be for sale again eventually, after it sits in his garage for a decade or so and he realizes he's never going to use it. LOTS of people shell out a lot of money before coming to that conclusion. It's not for everyone.

Last Edited:
INFO: First time reloading set up suggestions?
I like to know more about reloading: 5.56x45, 7.62x51, .308, 9mm, 40mm....
These are the reloads i plan.
Any suggestions and and learning experiences you care to share.
Best brands:
Manufactures?
I got into reloading this year from zero, dont rely on just one reloading manual and dont trust any manuals max loads as safe in your gun.
If you can find primers right now good luck, sign up for notifications on powder, and primers on all the major websites.
Im really happy with my RCBS Rebel press.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top