JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

Just sold my motorcycle, and after paying off some bills, I'm going to have about $1000 to pick up a new gun. I'm thinking its time for a good .45 :)

So, here's my criteria:

Accurate.
Reliable.
Full size - Not for CC.
Very good resale value (Although I plan on shooting it regularly)
Don't want to spend much on customization after-the-fact.
Must be very functional (e.g. not too many bells and whistles)
Prefer Stainless, but not required.

-Right now I'm thinking Colt Gold Cup, HK P9S, Sig 220 or 250, Springfield 1911

Leaning towards the Gold Cup or the P9S- but checking out the others.

Opinions? or something I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

Most any one of the models you mention will work for the range.

The differences will be hand fit and trigger pull.

1911's and single stacks fit most hands. If you have large hands, then its a moot point.

Also want to weigh the difference between a single to double action trigger pull.

Well if would say that you wouldn't be disappointed with any 1911 that suits your fancy.

If you wanted to spend the whole $1k, I would say look into a Dan Wesson, or if you wanted to spend $700-800, look into springfield/kimber/colt's entry level guns (with the exception of the GI), or if you wanted to save a lot of dough, there are plenty of guns in the $500 range that would suit your needs (FN, XD, Spring GI/milspec, maybe a used sig, ect)

I would say just try and shoot all of the guns that you're interested in first, then go from there. Also, if you buy a cheaper gun, you can invest the rest in ammo :D

Most any one of the models you mention will work for the range.

The differences will be hand fit and trigger pull.

1911's and single stacks fit most hands. If you have large hands, then its a moot point.

Also want to weigh the difference between a single to double action trigger pull.

I have larger hands. I would prefer a 4.5 to 5.5 lb trigger pull. Double action is nice, but single is fine. I'm easy (just not cheap)

Well if would say that you wouldn't be disappointed with any 1911 that suits your fancy.

If you wanted to spend the whole $1k, I would say look into a Dan Wesson, or if you wanted to spend $700-800, look into springfield/kimber/colt's entry level guns (with the exception of the GI), or if you wanted to save a lot of dough, there are plenty of guns in the $500 range that would suit your needs (FN, XD, Spring GI/milspec, maybe a used sig, ect)

I would say just try and shoot all of the guns that you're interested in first, then go from there. Also, if you buy a cheaper gun, you can invest the rest in ammo :D

I hear you on the ammo front - I've allocated $300 for that already :)

I'm not too hip on the Kimbers - Not sure why. It's probably something irrational. There just seems to be too many variations, and everybody seems to have one of them. Even people who don't shoot.

The Dan Wessons look like nice guns; not sure on the resale value of them though.

On a side note, I ended up picking up an XDM stainless/OD in 9mm. Thanks for the heads-up on that. I'm very impressed with it. Very clean, groups well and is a lot more comfortable to shoot than I thought it would be. After several hundred rounds, I'd say I'm better with it than my Sig 228. I'm going to be sending it in for a trigger job though, and replacing the sights w/ a Warren Tactical rear and a Dawson FO front.

After having many Kimbers on the bench, and talking with other 'smiths about them...I can't recommend them right now.

Colt has their Gold Cup and a few other models that would fit the bill, same with Springfield with their Loaded Model, or Mil-Spec.

I would check both companies web sites, that will give you an idea what's out there, if you're wanting to buy new.

As for used, they are many excellent condition Colts and Springfields out there.

Something else to consider is what ammo you are going to feed it. I have a pre-Series 70 National Match and a Dan Wesson CBOB that will not chamber every round of cast bullet reloads, while my Para Ordnance swallows anything and everything I feed it.

Value of the gun later? Well, even though the Colt is the most expensive gun I've ever purchased, unless I do something stupid we all know it will only be worth more later just because it's a Colt. The Dan Wesson? Who knows. Quite possibly it will retain a high amount of value based it's quality. The Para? Since I bought it new I'll take it in the shorts if I ever sell it.

GO visit Springer Precision in Bend
http://www.springerprecision.com/
He's a great gunsmith and a fantastic resource for someone in your "predicament".
Personally, I'd suggest a 4" Service Model XD...there are plenty of farkles that you can add and things you can modify but it's a great shooter out of the box. I love my Govt Issue 1911 but my XD is mush easier for me to shoot accurately and consistently.
Just my $.02-worth everything you've paid for it!
Cheers,
Jorge

for a range gun and not a carry one I am looking at a Taurus 1911 as it has most all the bells and whistles alreadt out of the box. I have a Kimber ultra carry 2 for CCW when I feel the need for extra firepower. I bought a RIA for plinking and was pleasantly impressed with the results. But I am still going to get a Taurus in stainless also. For $700 with all the goodies in stainless you can't go wrong. Springfield's, Colt's,Dan Wesson, Kimber, etc. you have good resale most times but you are paying for it at the start also. I have and had several Taurus brand and have had no problems ever. I like my Kimber but why would you pay upwards of $1000 for a plinker you are thinking you may have to sell down the road. You will always find a buyer for a Taurus but the guy with an extra grand to spend is few and far between nowadays.:winkkiss:

10 years ago I did not own a 45. Now I have over a dozen of them! I would defend my life with my H&K 45 USP. The firearm is of that quality. 14 rounds of 45 in my FNP-45 is pretty cool too. A neat thing about FN is that they provide each firearm with three magazines. The FNP-45 is a large handgun. But it is awesome. I have two Springfield 1911s. They are fantastic two. I tend to like a hammer over striker fired guns. Although the newer Smith & Wesson M&P 45 is a very good firearm and a little less expensive. I recommend you look at a Smith & Wesson 1911. Very good quality and American made.

I personally would just find a nice Colt Series 70 1911.

Although I do have a Gold Cup trophy on lay-a-way and I am anxious to see how it shoots when I pick it up. :)

PS: If i ever get the Gold Cup off lay-a-way and you want to shoot it and some other .45acp options all you hve to do is meet me at the English Pit one day...and bring some ammo. :)

GCT.jpg

SDR had one listed on here for a while. I tried to trade him out of it, but he wouldn't go for it! Real nice gun and near your price range. You could hit him up and see if he still has it.

After having many Kimbers on the bench, and talking with other 'smiths about them...I can't recommend them right now.

Wichaka, do you care to elaborate on this? The opinion of one that's been into the guts of a gun and has the knowledge to know good from bad could be invaluable when making a decision to buy.

Also, do you have an opinion on the Dan Wesson 1911s?

My opinion ..... I do not own firearms from companies that decide to locate their companies in places that make it difficult to own firearms. Kimber is a good example. Owning a handgun in New York City is next to impossible. Yet they let Kimber manufacture guns there. Another good example is Para Ordinance. Ever try owning a handgun in Toronto?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top