JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I thought I'd stay up late and get this done so you would have something to read and think about over your Monday morning coffee. (Happy Memorial Day! I'm sure you will give a thought of appreciation to this special day!)

We had our first visit, with ODF in Tillamook State Forest, to view some potential new shooting lanes in an area where logging has recently finished. Norm, owner J&B Firearms Sales (@Norm0931 ) and I, met with Randy of ODF.

ODF truck.jpg

The best we could get for yardage is one that would be a little over 100 yards. Another one about 50-60 yards and one that we are still debating about whether it's a good choice or not (might be another 100 yards).

These new lanes are fairly close to the existing ones that were improved last year. From Lane 4, turn around and look East. That is the area where logging operations has just completed and our new lanes may be going in there.

Rnd 2-1.jpg

Pretty rough looking right now. But, so were the first lanes.

Rnd 2-2.jpg

Rnd 2-3.jpg

The two we liked the best would afford, not only some fare yardage, but some width. Nice and wide to accommodate group shooting and perhaps some training class type of groups.

Rnd 2-5.jpg

So we took some notes and discussed some details. We have a lot of work ahead of us!

Rnd 2-4.jpg

We're going to have to help ODF on this project. There is a lot of clearing to be done, stumps to be cut off, pathways to built, parking areas and more. This will be an excellent project to volunteer for.

I'll be seeking grant funding and general public donations. I proposed that volunteers cut the firewood, the nonprofit Trash No Land sells it as a fund raiser so the proceeds go back into this project. We can have the inmate crews cut the stumps down. We will need some equipment and operators to do some bigger landscape work and then some shovel work by hand. It's a project we can all be involved with, from the beginning to the end.

We need to discuss this and get some tentative volunteers who can help move this project along.

We know there is a need for more improved shooting lanes. We know shooters respond to these improved lanes with care, respect and stewardship. ODF wants to accommodate us and I believe we need to step up and help.

Once these lanes are established, they will be there a long time and we can enjoy years of recreational shooting! That means we are securing our future and finally getting a recreation place of our own!

Please reply with your comments and ideas.

Thanks folks!

Bill

Ok, this is a sweet project that I'd love to get involved in. I don't have any large equipment except for your basic around the house stuff.

What is the timeline that we are looking at? My day job is Factory IT for one of the original Silicon Forest companies and I'm currently available most days until July 19th. I was the Oregon Military Veterans Outreach Coordinator as part of my job at this company for almost 2 years, so I can get the word out to shooters that are not on this forum.

This is exciting!

So we are looking at doing some long term improvements for winterizing the existing sites this summer. For the new sites, it's something that will probably not see any traction for work until NEXT summer. It will require a lot of manual labor moving LOTS of slash (down trees, brush, limbs, etc) from the area. In addition the more heavy/light equipment we can bring in the less Forestry has to do with their limited budget.

The most positive thing I think we, as a community, should take away from this is; the Forest Service is actively looking for sites in their land exchanges and timber harvesting that could be used for target shooting sites. Eventually trees will be replanted around the shooting areas, but the sites will remain clear.

Now, this puts trust in to us not to damage tress and to be good stewards of the forest. We all remember the car being blown up and luckily one of our members on Lane 3 was able to contact law enforcement and get those idiots caught. However, people are stilling bring trash out there, shooting it up, and leaving it. At Lane 4 we found the remains of a shot up car battery. The Forest Service was not happy about having all that harmful battery acid dumped in to the ground. This is the kind of stuff we need to really put a stop to. Forestry accepts a certain level of law breakers, but they also aren't going to keep working with us if they don't see this activity decrease. We also need to make sure people are shooting safely if they are not at the shooting lanes.

That is great news Bill! Unfortunately you cannot cure stupidity like shooting car batteries, but with community involvement and policing we can sure put a dent in it.

This is indeed great news. I am sure NWFA will come out for volunteer work on the new lanes. I will try to be involved when time comes. Thanks for the post and staying up late to get us this info Cogs!

This is great news. I look forward to any way I can help.
My shooting buddies and I are at the lanes regularly and always try to clean up whatever trash we find.
I would love a new open area suitable for a little clay pigeon shooting. Not that i'my an good at it.
Regardless this is great to hear. I'll check back and watch for volunteers opportunities.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top