JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to go up this Saturday to sight in my new rifle. Any word on if target practice is allowed? I heard about the fire and don't want to get a ticket or anything. Any links to answers would be greatly appreciated. Brown area, up in the woods, anywhere.

While it is open, it is generally not recommended during high risk fire season.

It is best to utilize fire resistant sites like North Fork lanes or Rock queries.

I look at the boards at the road entrance. When shooting is banned there is usually a sign posted. Or in the case of Browns Camp, the Rock Pit has been roped off.

There is The English Pit in Vancouver. It's an outdoor 100 yd pay range. You have to check their website to make sure what lanes are open but it's about $20 all day.

PS: If you go there, pack light or be young.

Good webpage to bookmark.

As said above, check posted signs.
Regardless though,
In the summer bring some water, a shovel and fire extinguisher. Even if you dont start a fire you could be the first responder to a fire started by someone else.

I looked at that, but wasn't to sure that it was vaild as it hasn't been updated since 2020.
Ya, they used to update it more regularly.

There are no laws against shooting in the woods during ANY fire season. They can legally shut down other recreational activities, but target shooting is not regulated in that regard, yet. In time, or another large shooting related fire, I imagine that will change. As it stands, they literally can not close state forest lands to recreational shooting.

It's just that, if one is a decent person, I hope that they refrain from the activity until conditions improve. Last thing any recreational shooter wants is to be the cause of another firearm related forest fire. That doesn't stop all the bad apples though.

Ya, they used to update it more regularly.

There are no laws against shooting in the woods during ANY fire season. They can legally shut down other recreational activities, but target shooting is not regulated in that regard, yet. In time, or another large shooting related fire, I imagine that will change. As it stands, they literally can not close state forest lands to recreational shooting.

It's just that, if one is a decent person, I hope that they refrain from the activity until conditions improve. Last thing any recreational shooter wants is to be the cause of another firearm related forest fire. That doesn't stop all the bad apples though.
For sure. If anything, bring the proper equipment to put one out if its within your ability. I always equipment. I have a hidden rock pit that I know is pretty safe around these conditions. I plan on going up there.

This link was my major use for finding the restrictions!

@DirectDrive started a thread where we can track closures for target shooting...

Official 2021 Fire Closure Thread

Our best places to shoot right now would be at gravel pits where no grass, stumps, logs or other potential fire hazards exist. North Fork Wolf Creek Rd shooting lanes are real good too. Still take the fire gear, a shovel and 2 gallons of water or a shovel and a 2 1/2 lb fire extinguisher. If you would, put your fire gear out where anyone can see it so they learn how to do it right.

Like @Reno said, it is generally not recommended during high risk fire season.

That link to the ODF Blog Target Shooting page, (above), is a good one and they always post there first, so subscribe to that. Thanks for posting that link, Reno.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top