Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Thoughts on SA 20 Mossberg for home defense

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by SteveM, Nov 12, 2012.

1. SteveM

SteveM Oregon New Member

I'm thinking about a Mossberg SA 20 for home defense and thinking it would work well for my girlfriend. I'm not sure she would be comfortable with the recoil of a 12 ga or would remember to work a pump action when it really matters. What do you guys think? A 20 ga should be more then adequate with similar ballistics to 12 but just less bullets in 00, right?

2. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

I would prefer a "coach gun" or a Wheel gun. Neither requires a lot of skill or cunning. I like the 12ga because; if you point it at someone you look like a stovepipe salesman.

3. SteveM

SteveM Oregon New Member

Stovepipe salesman, Nice! Yeah, a burly wheel gun or 12 ga prob does have the extra "oh crap' factor built in. Thanks.

4. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

You don't think a 20 gun will make a guy poo poo himself?

My daddy fed us with a 410 shotgun,so a 20 gauge is more than adequate to stop a thin skinned human.Has she shot a 20 gauge yet?
    And I have never been real good with a pump for follow up shots. I have a rifled barreled 870,but my duck gun is a semi auto.
    Just keep pulling the trigger.

5. kLewis

kLewis Beaverton, OR Active Member

I wonder if it's similar enough to the 930 to use all the aftermarket parts? Isn't it basically the same gun, slightly scaled down?

6. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

At inside-the-home distances, a 20 ga with buckshot should be more than enought to get the job done.