Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

This may save your life..

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by GunNoob, Aug 24, 2011.

1. GunNoob

GunNoob In the Valley Member

I know a lot of you have read it or say you have but maybe we should read it again. I don't wish this on any country.... This is a great piece of information for any kind of survival not just the scenario played out. 10$ isnt a lot of money and you can always check your library or friends collection... Amazon.com: One Second After (9780765356864): William R. Forstchen: Books

2. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

Outstanding book

Sportsman and (deleted member) like this.
  3. GunNoob

It is a great book, its also terrifying. I'm wondering why it isn't a movie yet..

4. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Lower Yakima Valley Well-Known Member

Because Newt Gingrich wrote the forward. Hence, Hollywood would never touch it with a 10 foot pole.

5. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

One of the best post-apocalyptic science fiction book ever written was penned in 1949 by George R. Stewart. It's call "Earth Abides".

The book earned much praise from James Sallis, writing in 2003 in the Boston Globe:

This is a book, mind you, that I'd place not only among the greatest science fiction but among our very best novels. Each time I read it, I'm profoundly affected, affected in a way only the greatest art — Ulysses, Matisse or Beethoven symphonies, say — affects me. Epic in sweep, centering on the person of Isherwood Williams, Earth Abides proves a kind of antihistory, relating the story of humankind backwards, from ever-more-abstract civilization to stone-age primitivism. Everything passes — everything. Writers' reputations. The ripe experience of a book in which we find ourselves immersed. Star systems, worlds, states, individual lives. Humankind. Few of us get to read our own eulogies, but here is mankind's. Making Earth Abides a novel for which words like elegiac and transcendent come easily to mind, a novel bearing, in critic Adam-Troy Castro's words, "a great dark beauty.

7. NWGUNGUY

NWGUNGUY Portland Oregon New Member

Thanks for bringing up the topic. I found an interview with the author that gives an overview of the book from the author's perspective. If you look in the right hand corner of the web page there is an audio player that you can use (no need to download). Enjoy.

One Second After : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

8. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

Here is good video to consider watching it comes on the history channel from time to time, it is pretty dog accurate of the immediate single bomb attack situation, but if it happens you can pretty much be garuanteed it will not be a single attack. Day After Disaster - YouTube

9. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

One of the best survival bibles out there!

10. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Loved that book. Just finished another book that I found very good called "Patriots" It's by James Wesley Rawles. I just put 2 more of his books on my to read list. Lots of "brand name" dropping that happens along the way but it's done up front and in italics and mostly for items that are somewhat technical.

11. Chugger

Chugger Central Oregon Member

+1 for One Second After excellent read, but some seriously brutal passages towards the end of the book. Scared my wife in to supporting my efforts of prepping & food storage after she read it. Another great read with similar theme is Lights Out by David Crawford. I enjoyed it more as there was a good deal of humor sprinkled through out to keep the tone mixed up.

12. spikedzombies

spikedzombies Lakewood/Tacoma Member

Heard this guy on coast to coast plenty of times love him and his book.

13. Zoltan

Zoltan Salem Member

One Second After was great. Patriots was really good also. Another one I really liked was Lights Out

14. clownbuster

clownbuster Vancouver, WA Active Member

Yes, excellent book. My wife started reading it after I was finished. 1/3 of the way through the book and she quit...too many nightmares. The book is terrifying. If you haven't picked up Full Black by author Brad Thor yet, get to Costco and get reading. Again, terrifying. Search and Destroy by Scott Cleland is another must have.

15. Sportsman

Sportsman Clackamas County, Or Member

I had read somewhere recently that it may be soon...

Warner Bros., apparently...

http://www.onesecondafter.com/

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  16. GunNoob

Fyi borders is closing. I picked this book up for under $10