JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of the best post-apocalyptic science fiction book ever written was penned in 1949 by George R. Stewart. It's call "Earth Abides".

The book earned much praise from James Sallis, writing in 2003 in the Boston Globe:

This is a book, mind you, that I'd place not only among the greatest science fiction but among our very best novels. Each time I read it, I'm profoundly affected, affected in a way only the greatest art — Ulysses, Matisse or Beethoven symphonies, say — affects me. Epic in sweep, centering on the person of Isherwood Williams, Earth Abides proves a kind of antihistory, relating the story of humankind backwards, from ever-more-abstract civilization to stone-age primitivism. Everything passes — everything. Writers' reputations. The ripe experience of a book in which we find ourselves immersed. Star systems, worlds, states, individual lives. Humankind. Few of us get to read our own eulogies, but here is mankind's. Making Earth Abides a novel for which words like elegiac and transcendent come easily to mind, a novel bearing, in critic Adam-Troy Castro's words, "a great dark beauty.

Loved that book. Just finished another book that I found very good called "Patriots" It's by James Wesley Rawles. I just put 2 more of his books on my to read list. Lots of "brand name" dropping that happens along the way but it's done up front and in italics and mostly for items that are somewhat technical.

+1 for One Second After excellent read, but some seriously brutal passages towards the end of the book. Scared my wife in to supporting my efforts of prepping & food storage after she read it. Another great read with similar theme is Lights Out by David Crawford. I enjoyed it more as there was a good deal of humor sprinkled through out to keep the tone mixed up.

Yes, excellent book. My wife started reading it after I was finished. 1/3 of the way through the book and she quit...too many nightmares. The book is terrifying. If you haven't picked up Full Black by author Brad Thor yet, get to Costco and get reading. Again, terrifying. Search and Destroy by Scott Cleland is another must have.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top