Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

This may be a stupid question, but im gunna ask it anyway.

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by omenwolf, Oct 28, 2012.

1. omenwolf

omenwolf Oregon Active Member

So I have been looking for a .22 pistol and there are alot of nice ones out there. But like the sig mosquito, the p22 and many many others they only come with 10 rd mags.
    Why is this?
    I mean every one of these guns are not sold in cali so I dont get it. Finding more than 10rd mags for most of these is close to imposible.
    All of the mag I have seen have huge plastic spacers to limit the mags. Are there ny kits out there to increase the mags cap?
    Like I said might be a stupid question, I am just curious.

2. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

I've never understood the Why's of it but it's common. Part of it is simply size. But you can find AA mags that are 10+, if I recall you can get a different follower for the full size sig 22 conversion mags to increase capacity. Probably others as well.

3. Floridian

Floridian Oregon New Member

I've wondered the same thing... doesn't make sense.

4. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

You can get the S&W MP22 with a 12 round mag. I think the reason that most are 10 rounds is the rim on the 22LR casing. They don't stack in a nice straight line needed for a straight mag.

5. omenwolf

omenwolf Oregon Active Member

ok but the mags are pretty strait and have huge plastic spacers that fill up half of the mag, why????
    fixed for the grammar police!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

You just put three question marks after a statement. I dont think you know what question marks are for?
    :bluelaugh:

My ruger doesnt have "huge plastic spacers that fill up half of the mag".

7. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

But it does make you wonder since they can make a 22 Mag with a 30 round magazine (The PMR-30). The cartridge profile is almost the same as the .22 LR, longer but it has the same rim.

elsie

8. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Is that mag straight or curved?

9. Allfat

Allfat Marion County Active Member

It is straight, but it is plagued with feeding issues.

10. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know, since I don't have one (yet). But if 30 causes feeding problems then maybe 20 won't. It just seems like a 10 round mag is for convenience and/or so they can sell more mags. For rifle though, I went with a tubular mag since they hold 15 or so.

elsie

11. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

maybe they all follow along with Mr. Bill Ruger when he claimed an honest man doesn't need more then a 10round mag...

I think he was wrong.

It is weird how most are only 10 rounds..