JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cerakote sucks. Haha.
Agree, for most things I'm happier with Krylon. Besides you can get Krylon to match your favorite Crayola color. :D

(Still don't understand the whole (or even broken) crayon eater thing, guess things have changed in nearly half a century since I was active duty.)

I call BS on this... Everyone knows Cerakote is impervious to EVERYTHING and NEVER shows wear. :s0139:
Exactly. This is why cerakote applicators have had to learn to air brush a "battleworn" finish on an otherwise brand new gun.... 🤣

From the looks of the wear on the internals in the center of the slide I'd say it was fired, possibly to check zero on the new sights.
Yep, hence the reason I asked if they were certain it was new. Maybe the OP thought it was but it has definitely been fired, multiple times. No question about it seeing this brass streaks inside the slide.

Yep, hence the reason I asked if they were certain it was new. Maybe the OP thought it was but it has definitely been fired, multiple times. No question about it seeing this brass streaks inside the slide.
Yes and I'd like to also see the top of the barrel at the muzzle to see if it has a smiley on it from cycling.

Those brass streaks look like factory grease and perfectly normal. Of course it's been fired. Every single "NIB" is factory test fired and shipped "as is"... so the slightest of cycle marks is really not at all unusual.
Yes and I'd like to also see the top of the barrel at the muzzle to see if it has a smiley on it from cycling.
Examining the top of the frontal edge and forward end of the barrel is really the only reliable way to determine possible round count. With lower round counts that is. The higher it is the more tell-tale indicators there are. The chamber block generally showing cycling wear/edge polishing typically before a smiley on the barrel becomes visually detectable.

Even if there were multiple test fire sets for some minor adjustment at the factory though that's not enough rounds to really be too detectable on the block edge.

Without seeing the barrel block though you can't really say if there are more rounds through it than there should be for a NIB item. The slide... nothing I see in there strikes me as "out of the ordinary".

That said... if the gunsmith zeroed the sight with a few rounds, I wouldn't be all that shocked, but you would be hard pressed to distinguish between 3-5 rounds going through it at the factory or + another 3-5 rounds someone sent flying to zero it. One could always just ask him, right!

The slide edge issue I kind of agree with others about maybe being from a sight clamp fixture. If so, that's pretty careless on the gunsmiths part and doesn't actually really seem all that reasonable. Or at least... not as likely as the alternative possibility... if it is indeed cerakoted... it sure seems a lot more likely whoever did it bungled up the under edge and it was already like that before it ever went into the gunsmith.

Rushing/bungling a cerakoe job is a whole lot easier, and more likely IMHO, than a professional gunsmith marking up peoples firearms with a sight pusher. For that matter... most sight pushers don't even clamp anywhere that far forward on a slide. All the action happens toward the back couple inches at most.

Not an impossibility, but if you had to chose the most likely/probable scenario..... (??)

Last Edited:
Those brass streaks are factory grease and perfectly normal in a new glonk. Of course it's been fired. Every single "NIB" glonk is factory test fired and shipped "as is"... so the slightest of cycle marks is really not at all unusual.

Examining the top of the chamber block frontal edge and forward end of the barrel is really the only reliable way to determine possible round count. With lower round counts that is. The higher it is the more tell-tale indicators there are. The chamber block generally showing cycling wear/edge polishing typically before a smiley on the barrel becomes visually detectable.

Even if there were multiple test fire sets for some minor adjustment at the factory though that's not enough rounds to really be too detectable on the block edge.

Without seeing the top of the barrel block though you can't really say if there are more rounds through it than there should be for a NIB item. The slide... nothing I see in there strikes me as "out of the ordinary" for a "new" glonk.

That said... if the gunsmith zeroed the sight with a few rounds, I wouldn't be all that shocked, but you would be hard pressed to distinguish between 2 or 3 rounds going through it at the factory or + another 3-4 rounds someone sent flying to zero it. One could always just ask him, right!

The slide edge issue I kind of agree with others about maybe being from a sight clamp fixture. If so, that's pretty careless on the gunsmiths part and doesn't actually really seem all that reasonable. Or at least... not as likely as the alternative possibility... if it is indeed cerakoted... it sure seems a lot more likely whoever did it bungled up the under edge and it was already like that before it ever went into the gunsmith.

Setting it on a surface before the cerakote is fully dried will do that. For that matter... maybe the someone had it sitting on an undersheet during baking(?) Rushing/bungling a cerakoe job is a whole lot easier, and more likely IMHO, than a professional gunsmith marking up peoples firearms with a sight pusher. For that matter... most sight pushers don't even clamp anywhere that far forward on a slide. All the action happens toward the back couple inches at most.

Not an impossibility, but if you had to chose the most likely/probable scenario..... (??)
That's not a Glock. Lol.

Either way the OP should just run the piss out of his Springfield and not stress it.

That's not a Glock. Lol.

Either way the OP should just run the piss out of his Springfield and not stress it.
No it ain't! 🤣 That's what I get for replying to a thread I haven't looked at since last night and going from memory... with many thread reads in between.:D👍

In defense... I've been playing with glonks most of the day. "Glonk-brain" is a thing... and obviously debilitating. 🤣

No it ain't! 🤣 That's what I get for replying to a thread I haven't looked at since last night and going from memory... with many thread reads in between.:D👍

In defense... I've been playing with glonks most of the day. "Glonk-brain" is a thing... and obviously debilitating. 🤣
I feel ya there. I just bought another one today. And I only bought it for the frame…… lol.

I feel ya there. I just bought another one today. And I only bought it for the frame…… lol.
That's funny. I was doing some sorting and found a spare frame today I didn't know I had. Mainly pushing on sights on a bunch I had striped off the OEM's quite awhile back.

I even finally got around to installing that one I got off you! Thanks! đź‘Ť

That's funny. I was doing some sorting and found a spare frame today I didn't know I had. Mainly pushing on sights on a bunch I had striped off the OEM's quite awhile back.

I even finally got around to installing that one I got off you! đź‘Ť
I got a G22 at a price that I couldn't pass up. But I'll be swapping it over to 9mm. So the slide, barrel, mags and a bunch of internals are up for sell. Haha.

I got a G22 at a price that I couldn't pass up. But I'll be swapping it over to 9mm. So the slide, barrel, mags and a bunch of internals are up for sell. Haha.
40's go pretty cheap these days. I dunno if they are still up for sale, but I picked up a new never fired complete G17 slide off calguns a few weeks back for $175. There were two others I was considering in similar condition and top asking was $225.

Too many classifieds to look through so I just posted a WTB. Had half a dozen legit offers (and 4 scams with stolen photos off the web) to sell within the week. Google image search sure comes in handy.

Just a thought.

I'll keep an eye open for your internals. I might could use a 40 ejector/housing. I'll have to finish inventory and get a count.

40's go pretty cheap these days. I dunno if they are still up for sale, but I picked up a new never fired complete G17 slide off calguns a few weeks back for $175. There were two others I was considering in similar condition and top asking was $225.

Too many classifieds to look through so I just posted a WTB. Had half a dozen legit offers (and 4 scams with stolen photos off the web) to sell within the week. Google image search sure comes in handy.

Just a thought.

I'll keep an eye open for your internals. I might could use a 40 ejector/housing. I'll have to finish inventory and get a count.
Oh I'm buying a fancy slide for this build. Haha.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

I know that you're not in the Oregon/ Washington area but we've found the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly is through grass roots involvement.

If there isn't a local group that advocates for responsible stewardship of public lands, check out Trash No Land.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top