JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
some of us were talking at work and this hypothetical came up. Does a CPL. holder in Wa have to carry a registered pistol? When did pistol registration start in WA? Say your pistol is gran dad's Colt from WWII and you get pulled over and honestly answer the Are you armed ?
None of us are lawyers so we came to no conclusions except try not to get pulled over!

Brutus Out

In Oregon and a Washington, you don't have to carry a "registered" pistol, although I believe some states require you carry the pistol listed on the "CCL" (or in TPTB's records)

In Oregon and Washington state you don't have to volunteer to a LEO that you're armed unless you're asked if you are during an interaction, then you're required to answer truthfully and must present and/or surrender the weapon to them if lawfully directed to do so for the duration of that interaction.

From my understanding, Washington state has ALWAYS had a pistol registration database compiled on information from FFL background/sales information through the DOL. That's part of the 594 uproar as it makes it a defacto universal gun registry because ALL transfers (private and commercial) now go through a UBC.

Some states have a permit for a certain handgun....only that handgun and some states have permits for either a pistol or a revolver ,you may have to test for both
Washington's permit is just for any handgun you want to carry

In Oregon and a Washington, you don't have to carry a "registered" pistol, although I believe some states require you carry the pistol listed on the "CCL" (or in TPTB's records)

In Oregon and Washington state you don't have to volunteer to a LEO that you're armed unless you're asked if you are during an interaction, then you're required to answer truthfully and must present and/or surrender the weapon to them if lawfully directed to do so for the duration of that interaction.

From my understanding, Washington state has ALWAYS had a pistol registration database compiled on information from FFL background/sales information through the DOL. That's part of the 594 uproar as it makes it a defacto universal gun registry because ALL transfers (private and commercial) now go through a UBC.
You're correct on everything but one. You are not required to answer truthfully when asked if you are armed. You shouldn't lie but you don't have to answer truthfully either.
A simple, "I'm declining to answer that" works just fine and is, IMO, safer for you. I'm not fond of volunteering info to cops.

In Oregon the officer knows as soon as they run your plate that the registered owner of the vehicle has a CCW and in most cases unless your doing 90 after just selling some rocks to skateboarders in a school zone they think of you as one of the good guys.

WA and OR don't have complete registration systems, they have "de-facto" 'registration' where they have databases of some firearms serial numbers that correlate with some owners. The databases get their data from gun sales through certain venues (in OR it is any firearm sold in a gun show and FFL sales, but not private sales - in WA it is FFL sales and any sale since I594 went into effect).

So - long story short, there are millions of firearms in both states that are not in any kind of "registration" system database, and there is no requirement that a non-NFA firearm you carry on you (open or concealed) or that you own, be "registered". Indeed, there is no way for you to directly "register" a non-NFA firearm.

"Registration" in both states comes about indirectly - although that does not mean that the underlying agenda of these laws is not registration, it is, it is just indirect, although most "gun control" advocates will deny that agenda in public.

If you did have to then most of us would get in trouble for the guns we have traded for or bought on here. As far as I know which can easily be wrong as long as gun is not stolen you are good. Otherwise we are all breaking the law on a regular basis and I seriously doubt that with some of the extremely law savvy folks on here that do the same as me.

Having lived in TN for the past 29 years or so and having a Hand Carry Permit (HCP) if I was to get pulled over I would hand over my HCP and drivers license at the same time. This alerts the LEO I'm carrying and I let him decide if he wants to hang on to it while he discusses why he wanted to pull me over. IMHO it's a curtesy to them and they appreciate it.

I didn't read any of what was deleted but what is and what isn't a registration in WA and OR has nothing to do with the fact that you do not have to have a registered gun tied to your carry permit/license.
We all go off on tangents and sometimes start arguments.Why not delete the posts?

You CAN NOT carry a gun registered in washington tied to your license,since there is not gun registration in washington
yet

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews