JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey. My name is Mike, I'm from Portland Oregon. I own a Ruger GP100 6" .357 and a Ruger 10/22 carbine. I want a larger capacity hand cannon and i've always loved semi auto 1911's. A friend of mine at work says he knows a place where I can get a S&W 1911A1 for around $250.00 Now I've been doing research online and the cheapest I could find it for was from Rock Island Armory for around $455 brand new. For used guns, on here I found them between $400-$1,000. I'm just wondering what would be the best bang for my buck, literally. I'm talking longevity of the firearm, durability, accuracy, binding, quality. I'm quite partial to Ruger's, and I have seen an SR1911 on this site for a pretty good deal. Any opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike.

You get what you pay for.

Smith 1911's have an external extractor. Smith external extractors are better than SIG external extractors. Springfield and Colt are solid. Kimbers are nice as well.

Again, you get what you pay for.

Sorry for the short answer. The dog had to go out just when i started answeribg That just sounds really wrong. Rock Islands are good guns, lifetime warranties, but vary on just how good they are gun to gun. There are a lot of great hi-cap big bore pistols out there right now. Springfield XD/XDM, S&W M&P, Glock, etc all make great pistols with lowere end guns by Bersa, EAA, and others almost on a par. A forged frame/slide GI or Mil Spec Springfield 1911 isn't that much more than a Rock island 1911. Take your time. The right one will grab you.

In my experience, S&W 1911s tend to hold their value. If one has dropped to a price like that, take the above advice and skip it. As many on here can tell you, the 1911 is an awesome but complicated firearm. When I say complicated, I mean if you don't know much about them, it would be hard for you to properly inspect a used one. Sometimes its better to buy a new version of whatever style gun you want, so you have a good base for learning about that particular weapon system.

You really do get what you pay for. But why just one 1911? Hunt down a couple and shoot them both and decide which one to keep. Or keep both. Quality counts: Colt; Kimber; S&W; Ruger all shoot very nicely. Don't be afraid of the shorter barrel lengths either. Also, if you run across a S&W 645, they rock. Also, if you reload, this is one of the easiest to reload for. Remember, they are built to carry cocked and locked, so trainiing with a 1911 is very important. There is an abundance of training opportunities for this format. If interested shoot me a PM.

PT1911 Taurus, good value, great gun, life time no question asked warranty, best bang for the buck. They come with alot of upgrades for the price. I own one, I own several RI, and I have an Argentine 1927.

Jim

I bought the Ruger SR1911 a couple weeks ago. It's the first 1911 I've ever fired so I can't compare it to another brand, but, my oh my! Sweet trigger action and puts the rounds right where I want 'em. Verrrry happy with my selection (was new at $700 for mine).

My Rock Island was great, I did replace the stock mag. Never had an issue after that with about 3,000 rounds through it. I upgraded to a Sig and like it as well. Another option I like is the CZ 75, similar weight and feel but with 16 rounds in 9mm.

Armscor makes a good gun with amazing customer service.

Their brands include: Rock island armory, citadel, and high standard (their 1911s only).

I had a High Standard compact 1911, and it was tied with my glock for being the most reliable gun I've ever had.

Some good opinions and articles above already. Three things I would like to ask of the OP:

-What is the purpose of the 1911?
-what size 1911 are you looking for?
-What is your $ range?

If you can answer those two things you can figure out what your 1911 is alot easier.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews