JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have recently been thinking about getting an ffl and taking orders for guns just as a side business and for my own personal enjoyment. Does anyone have any advice? Also if i'm ordering and selling guns do you need to have a storefront or is it something you can do out of your home. I know a few members on this board are ffl holders any advice you could offer is greatly appreciated.

My opinion only, don't do it if going into it as a "hobby" is your reason. There are enough FFL's out there that take what they do seriously and try and provide for their families with their business and I believe taking business away from them is just not right. Yet again, just my opinion... don't take it the wrong way.

No harm I understand what you're saying. I wanted to start it as a side business and work my day job in the meantime, until I could start getting enough business to eventually quit my day job and just sell guns. I should of clarified that. I have a passion for guns and would like to eventually be able to rely on them as my main source of income.

My goal down the road would be to eventually have my own store front, but it will take me a long time and a lot of saving to get to that scale of business.

The ATF want's you to be "in the business" As a "kitchen table FFL" the ATF had no problem handing us our FFL. We have been doing this for about a year and a half. If you have any questions about the process feel free to send me an email [email protected]

I'd like to publicly thank Tim from Black Label Arms he's a good guy and was very helpful with the particulars on this subject. Thanks Tim.

Thank you glad we can help. There are a few things to consider.
If you have trouble organizing your life ie paperwork, paying your bills on time, ect. consider not becoming an FFL. Every thing in an FFL's life is a felony and although not difficult it is very very easy to not keep up on your paperwork. To the ATF if they do an inspection they don't see this as lazy paperwork they see it as what are you hiding. Even our favorite TV gun show has lost their FFL and almost did prison time.

I'd like to publicly thank Tim from Black Label Arms he's a good guy and was very helpful with the particulars on this subject. Thanks Tim.

Did you decide to move forward with getting your FFL or did you opt not to? Would be interested to hear what you've decided to do and what swayed your decision.

Either way, good luck

I have decided to continue forward to get it thanks to the advice from Tim. The reason why I decided to was that based on the advice I received it is not as hard as people would like to make you think it is, and it is something I really enjoy as well/ I will start the process in November when I have the funds to get everything up and going. Ill post then and let everyone know how it went.

Ancient history, but maybe Tim can advise if still valid: My father got his FFl back in the 60's, but only held it for about 5 years (preceding and through the ramp-up of '68.) He decided the clauses about inspections/notice for such/etc. were too much of an invasion of his truly held home as castle. For him it was an issue of sanctity, and exposure of his family.

I would hope that anyone giving advice, or seeking advice about this prospect would gravely and seriously consider what you give up when you take that license (based on the location being your home), and whether what you relinquish is worth what you gain.

A wealth of information regarding the professionalism, restraint, respect for citizenry and good intentions of the BATFE can be obtained with ony a moderate study of Ruby Ridge and Waco.

for what it's worth ! my "gun guy" here in prineville has had his "ffl" for 26 yrs. it all started off as a converted "garage affair", which turned into a full time job 10:00 to 10:00.......as he wanted to be open when customers were off from reg. jobs, and he could spend some time with them ! he- in the last 2 yrs. has now shut down, even left his house, and moved into another...with his house still vacant as i type, and the traffic continues ! he stated, between the "atf", "irs", and "oregon tax", and now the "business" owned him, and his time, he was done ! i spent a lot of time there, and even posted a "going out of business sale" on this site !! he also said that when the "OBAMA" administration took over his sales doubled, and so his "time spent" tripled !!!!
just food for thought.......

steven

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews