JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Whether a Glock shovel or a SOG one, they are both pretty heavy. That's about 2 lbs of food or other fighting gear I could carry or just reduce my kits weight.

Then again it COULD come in handy for a caches, shelter building, digging a stuck car out, fire management, and even a last ditch weapon.

What say ye?

I have a snow shovel in my vehicles. Costco often had packages of three and I bought a couple packages. Some for my kids, some for my vehicles, one for inside the house (scoop ashes out of the stove).

In my GHB?

Not unless it is snowing heavily. If I am trying to get home, I am going as light as possible. No caches, and not digging in. I will hide behind bushes off the trail or something like that - covered by my Ecotat shelter/poncho. If it isn't food, water, shelter, security or FAK, then it gets left behind in my vehicle if I find myself on foot.

Whether a Glock shovel or a SOG one, they are both pretty heavy. That's about 2 lbs of food or other fighting gear I could carry or just reduce my kits weight.

Then again it COULD come in handy for a caches, shelter building, digging a stuck car out, fire management, and even a last ditch weapon.

What say ye?

Trust me, better than last ditch as a weapon! I enjoy reading about and seeing WW-1 trench weapons. Clubs, knives, maces, an amazing variety of weapons, some of them carved. It's worth noting that most guys just used their e-tools, putting them on a par with the fancy stuff. Some trench tools.

8DEE10E4-CBC8-4416-A65C-CE1BB8E48ABD.jpeg 3504F908-56AB-41B7-8B40-BB41D0F3CB66.jpeg ECEBCAB7-96D4-485D-967A-1F70BA3D9A33.jpeg

I've had one of these since I was a kid that my dad got me. I've had several since they always seem to grow feet or just plain loose them....
I will not be carrying a full 60+ lb ruck sack but if i was 30 years younger I sure would have one in it.;)

s-l400 (2).jpg

Always one in the truck but not in the bag. It like the machete can easily be put in there if I think I need it to get home if I am leaving the rig behind.

BTW, I keep one like Jim's in my truck. It's strapped to the sheath of my big WW-2 machete with a Plumb hatchet! I fastened them all together years ago to put up and grass in my waterfowling blind. :D I wish I had a photo of my blinds I was very proud of them!

Last Edited:
Like everyone else, I would definitely have one in a car and out in the woods. If I am to be running short distances, I might just bring the handle as a backup weapon (I use wood with steel bands). If you're making camp, or prolonged journeys and aren't going back, have an e-tool.

An expensive solution but one can purchase and carry in their Bug Out Vehicles a big, (really big) pair of high quality bolt cutters. All sorts of nifty good uses. Popping the big heavy padlocks comes to mind bugging out of Dodge City or Tombstone in a hurry. Locked gates blocking public access to public roads illegally closed by whomever nasty.

The new locked gates have that anti tamper padlock cover. More difficult to work through.

Another idea is a BIG oxygen acetylene cutting torch powered by small tanks. Only a few minutes cutting time but in the hands of an expert can cut through quickly most anything. Another way of quickly getting past all sorts of again illegal roadblocks. My old Fire Department still carries BOTH on all their tractor drawn ladder trucks. More stuff.

The cutting torch is huge. Gas hog. The bolt cutters are 72" long and require 2 men to use. One to hold, the other to squeeze. Pop!

We found and carry in our Vehicle Bug Out Bags a small folding Coleman camp shovel. Yep ... about 2 pounds. It is included as it would work as an expedient scooper for removing snow, mud, rocks and etc. with our Jeep. Quickly running out of room in the Suzuki Suicide. Now considering removing the rear seats. All available space will be used.

Murphy's Law

I've had a crappy "e-tool" in my vehicle since forever.. came in handy a couple times..

th?id=OIP.JsyIzHdVrtCRo4e7cUR6RgHaHa&w=170&h=170&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

I gather that the Russians used their little issue shovels a heck of a lot, hacking Germans to death with them.
I've heard that the present Russian and Chinese shovels are really good and that the Cold Steel is the best(?), pretty difficult to destroy and hard enough to sharpen well enough to process game and chop down trees.

What say ye?
What would you need a shovel for in a shtf situation? Got to keep moving, no time to dig in. Besides every garden shed in the country has got one, better to travel light.

I guess I do things a lil bit differently. I have a tote loaded up with things I might need (coffee, propane, garbage bags, tools galore and MUCH more) plus a backpack with things I do need (paracord, cutting stuff, sleeping stuff, eating stuff). The backpack is only about half full. It's not hard to jam stuff from the "might need" into the "must need" to suit the occasion.

What would you need a shovel for in a shtf situation? Got to keep moving, no time to dig in. Besides every garden shed in the country has got one, better to travel light.
Building a fire/stove, or a bed... concealing positions and covering tracks... foraging for food or hiding caches... they make great melee weapons.

I don't plan to go looting unless it becomes absolutely necessary. I also don't want to carry around some heavy shovel.

If you travel forest roads during high danger fire season a substantial shovel of specific dimensions along with water or extinguisher and maybe an axe, are required by law, most folding toys not accepted. Regulations must be verified (I stocked my truck 20 years ago so have forgotten the details) but seem to remember 26 inches long and 6 or 8 inch blade. Gallon of water (seems dang little) or 2.5 # charged extinguisher. I also carry a good long handle sharp ax and a saw.
Bite the bullet, be prepared, acquire and outfit your rig with regulation equipment at all times to be safe, and legal.
I for one, have been thankful I had something other than a folding spoon to dig myself out with, but then my tires have seen more dirt than pavement.

I've had one of these since I was a kid

I've had one about the clone of yours that mysteriously appeared in my stuff about 30 years ago. While a delight to fondle, and it's been in my truck box over nearly everywhere my road has taken me in that time, I have yet to actually 'dig' with it.

I believe it is actually some kind of 'homing device' or antenna that signals where to begin stacking other neat stuff I never have really used yet either....after 40+ years of camping/etc. It's like some kind of gear-pheromone that modifies behavior, different than but not really too unlike the beanie baby crowd that goes into a frenzy for some not rational reason.

Just yesterday I had mine out to inspect, after a couple years mounted in its special place in my 'do not leave home without stuff' box.....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR