JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I came to realize that most of my shooting is done with air guns and I really should buy something that is up to snuff. Currently I have three, A Stoger X-20, Benjamin Nitro GP and a Chinese B3. I do most of my shooting inside of 30 yards and would actually prefer something with good open sights (but has provisions for an optic)

I have been doing some reading and am kind of leaning towards a RWS 54 in .22 cal. $650 seems like a big chunk of change for an air rifle but I have a whole pile of "real" guns that cost considerably more and I know this would get shot more than any of them.

Anyway I have steered towards spring guns since I just dont know anything about the PCP rifles.

I really just want something that is quality built that is capable of shooting better than I can (and I am not a super fantastic shot) The guns I have will shoot 3" groups @30 yards, I want something that will shoot under an inch and is fun to use (nothing finicky or complicated)

anyone have any other recommendations for me to look at? And Advice?

In .22 cal, I can speak to the Hatsan 125 (Sniper) model. I've had one for about 2 years. Comes with TruGlo fiber optic open sights and a weaver rail for a scope (comes with a scope you can throw away for what it's worth). It's a beast of a gun, quite heavy, with some decent recoil. It hits hard and is quite accurate by my reckoning right out of the box. It's fairly quiet too. I think it looks pretty good too. It's also about 1/3 the price of the RWS. I've also got a Hatsan 25 pistol in .22 cal, it's also a massive beast too, a lot of fun. I'd recommend at least checking them for yourself, they are a great value in a quality gun.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hatsan_125_Sniper_Air_Rifle_Combo_Black/2674

hatsan-125-sniper-2.jpg

Ive got a Hastan model 25 pistol in .22 as well. It is a beast

How are the sights on yours? One of the Hastan reviews I read said that the sights are not very sturdy, that they move under finger pressure. You had any of those issues?

yeah, $1500 is not the high end for sure. I dont think I could bring myself to drop $1500 on a air rifle. Not sure why, its just as much a "real" gun as the ones sitting in my safe. Still just seems crazy.

yeah, $1500 is not the high end for sure. I dont think I could bring myself to drop $1500 on a air rifle. Not sure why, its just as much a "real" gun as the ones sitting in my safe. Still just seems crazy.

Yep :) A little.............. But If I could afford one to play with I would do it :)
There are a lot of lower priced ones there too that are pretty unique.

I dont want a big bore. I am going to be punching paper and shooting targets, much of it indoors. The last thing I need is to have to build bigger traps and be more worried about it. a .22 is plenty big. If I want to shoot a critter I have plenty of other options.

Hi IronMonster

You have mentioned in another thread how you have three air rifles already. They may be more accurate than you realize. As mentioned before, pellets come in different shapes, sizes and weights. Besides the basics of learning how to shoot a "Springer" and set up of the rifle itself, pellets can make a world of difference in how accurate a rifle will perform. Here are a Couple of Y.T. from Ted's Holdover that may help you get the accuracy you are looking for out of the rifles you already have.

This video talks about pellet sorting. It shows a high end air gun but the information is relevant to all A/G's

The slow motion vids show you pellet tracking and how an incorrect pellet will not track true but, actually corkscrews in flight. The high end air gun will shoot just as crappy with poor choice pellets as a low end springer will.

Another factor is pellet speed. High fps .177 air rifles are vulnerable to pushing the pellets too fast causing problems with accuracy. Here is another video that shows what happens.

Again the rifle is a high end PCP but, in essence velocity of the pellet had a maximum speed for accuracy. Pushing the pellet beyond that point and accuracy suffers. The slow motion captures of the pellet flight makes it so easy to see the problem.

I'm sure there are other Y.T.'s of pellets and their behavior but, I have found Ted's to be the best to explain and to show you whats going on.

B.V.E.

You oughta check out the RWS 34. It's typically less than half the price of the 54. Very nice trigger. Very accurate.

And it's awesome.

For what your looking to do check out the crossman 10 Meter co2/pcp. You will thank me later. ;) I have the older co2 only version. It's a sweetheart. When i wear it out i will get the newer one! The diopter sights are awesome for punching little tiny holes.

My rws side cocker collects dust now. Springers are a pita to shoot accurately.
It only comes out for pest duty as the 10 meter lacks the punch. But you get 50 shots on one co2!

Last Edited:
Hi IronMonster

Here are a Couple of Y.T. from Ted's Holdover that may help you get the accuracy you are looking for out of the rifles you already have.

I'm sure there are other Y.T.'s of pellets and their behavior but, I have found Ted's to be the best to explain and to show you whats going on.

B.V.E.

Ted's Holdover pest control videos are great also.
The guy hates starlings with a passion( as do I)

Go with the .25 Benjamin Marauder and you'll have the most accurate hardest hitting PCP for the money. I shot through 3/8 plywood at 75 yards. PCP is the only way to go and it's easy to fill just buy yourself a carbon fiber tank. 90 Cubic inches gives you 5-6 refills. I shoot 1/2 groups or less regularly at 50 yards with the JSB Diablo exact.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top