JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I was to go with a rifle "pistol" then it would be something in .30 caliber - 7.62x39 or .300 BO, et. al. that doesn't loose as much velocity with the shorter barrel and the heavier projectiles will still penetrate and expand at the lower velocities.

I am also not a believer in pistol cartridge carbines/rifles/et. al. - if you are going to carry a rifle weight gun, then get one that is chambered for a rifle cartridge.

Don't forget a regular old AK with side, or under folder.

...but, an AK pistol with a brace as you mention would work almost as well. A folder is shorter, though I don't know the legalities on concealment - I would imagine it to be a big NO NO!

So the pistol certainly gets points there. Plus the pistol (I think...for Oregon) can be loaded while secured in a vehicle, while a rifle (again I think...for Oregon) cannot be loaded secured in a vehicle.

How about a cheap 12ga with sights and slugs? Should be decent up to 75-100yds. Use different shells for close in needs like buck shot. You could get shotgun for real cheap.

Also, looking at the definition of a truck gun, cheap is one of the parameters.

How about a cheap 12ga with sights and slugs? Should be decent up to 75-100yds. Use different shells for close in needs like buck shot. You could get shotgun for real cheap.

Hence the suggestion for an AR pistol platform. AR's are as cheap as they ever have been. A real buyer's market!

That's usually my "truck gun" loaded with slugs.. though I drive a clapped out Pinto.. giddyap!

Another one I'd like to have in the rotation for road trippin'...
Mare's Leg shoved in an old leather scabbard tied to the back of the seat. The older and more beat up the better. Because a good collection needs some patina to balance out the polymer. 81B542F4-831D-4F30-B554-E74F0968FC77-393-00000115645883E3_tmp.jpg
...still considered a pistol so CPL makes it legal to carry in your rig loaded. Bonus points if you can flip cock it like a boss.

Last Edited:
Another one I'd like to have in the rotation for road trippin'...
Mare's Leg shoved in an old leather scabbard tied to the back of the seat. The older and more beat up the better. Because a good collection needs some patina to balance out the polymer.View attachment 381856
...still considered a pistol so CPL makes it legal to carry in your rig loaded. Bonus points if you can flip cock it like a boss.
Yeabut to me, all long guns need slings.. not just truck guns. And a sling would muck up the boss flip cocking on that rig so you'd need one a those fancy half a cow holsters for it. so nope

I do have a complete anderson ar lower on my shelf... i could order a basic psa upper for around $250 and have a beater ar to throw in the tool box
I hear what your saying but that combo would be too nice a setup to treat it that way! Do I sense a little bravado? I don't think it's actually possible to put together a psa upper for around $250 unless by "around" you mean closer to $290-to-$300? The only other way I know to keep the price down (if your talking new components) is to use [Made in China] components. If your serious about finishing that AR lower on your shelf, I've got a new upper kit consisting of Anderson Arms 8.5" AR Pistol Barrel With Complete Upper & BCG. It's a nice pistol upper package I was just getting ready to post FS on this site for $280. Components from good ole [Made in USA] manufacture names like Anderson, PSA, & KAK. Shoot me a PM if you would like more info.

SKS or a surplus bolt action?
Now THAT is more to my liking! Good ole stand by weapons that are not too expensive but are proven performers. If you got too much $ tied up in a truck gun then you got to spend a bunch more to protect it! I, and a bunch of other people would love it if the ban on SKS weapons was lifted and a whole new glut of them were allowed import, driving costs down again to yesterdays prices! Damn anti gunners anyway!

WWII era surplus bolt action - such as an Enfield, or Mauser - preferably a carbine. If the stock is somewhat beat up (most are) then it is read for your truck. If it is .308 like the Ishapore Enfield or the FR8 Mauser, then better, but 7x57 or 8x57 or .303 are all good cartridges. The Enfields are a faster action than the Mauser, parts are plentiful as is ammo.

When I was a around 10 my father gave me a Savage 22-20ga. Not sure where it ended up but a pretty versatile rifle. Super easy takedown with no tools needed . Would make a good truck gun with some slugs in the mix.

Looks like they make a modern 22-410.

itemimages-h0277.jpg Savage42_BlkAm1s_F.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews