JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I practice on my property too and in a safe manner. Like Caveman Jim says, if it works, it works ...... go for it. My very humble opinion is I think most of it is becoming comfortable with what you have and what's between your ears. Many people have defended themselves very well without going to Thunder Ranch type places. Not knocking any well done training, but not everyone can afford it, so we do the best we can.

Wright Leather Works has blems and stock over-runs for a bit cheaper and available without waiting 6-8 weeks. Good holsters, I have one of their Predator pancake OWB for my M&P Shield. If you go there, use the drop down menu for a complete listings.

Overstock & Blems

Note: Just a satisfied customer, no affiliation with WLW.

Last Edited:
I've posted my reasons for not using snap caps, but thanks for the advice.

I don't use snap caps but I also don't ever practice what should be considered 'dry fire' practice with any live ammo in the area.

I would recommend getting professional training as already is mentioned. Right now if you have had no formal training you are likely building training scars with any practice you're doing. By practicing without training you may be making mistakes in your practice that you will later have to unlearn. By getting properly training early you will ensure what you practice on your own time builds good habits.

Next I would recommend practicing your draws with an unloaded firearm no ammo in the area. I would then recommend practicing the draws with a properly loaded firearm on your range. Remember to start practicing slowly do your draw motions slowly and engage with a single shot so you're going through all the motions and doing everything properly speed will come with practice.

You know in Washington State you can carry concealed while doing outdoor recreation (hiking, going for a walk outdoors,hunting,fishing,photography,etc.) WITHOUT A CPL if you want more experience carrying while waiting.

You know in Washington State you can carry concealed while doing outdoor recreation (hiking, going for a walk outdoors,hunting,fishing,photography,etc.) WITHOUT A CPL if you want more experience carrying while waiting.

Hmmm, I do a lot of backwoods moto riding and usually leave my gun in the luggage till I get to the campsite than open carry. Based on what your saying from the moment I leave pavement I can be CC?

Can you link to the law related to this as all I see is:

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

Hmmm, I do a lot of backwoods moto riding and usually leave my gun in the luggage till I get to the campsite than open carry. Based on what your saying from the moment I leave pavement I can be CC?

Read RCW 9.41.060 paragraph 8. It includes travel to and from outdoor recreation, just don,t conceal carry into a store or other stop on the way.

Can you link to the law related to this as all I see is:

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

Read RCW 9.41.060 para 8.

When you start carrying there's usually tell tale signs you carry.
Pulling at your shirt on the gun side, adjusting your belt, continuously touching it, etc.
Carry all the time at home and get used to the feel. It's very foreign at first. After a while it feels very abnormal without it.

Know the laws, practice critical thinking on how to avoid or get out of bad situations. A firearm and use of a firearm should be the last choice at all costs.

Know your laws.

Be humble

And like Mad dog Mattis said
"Be polite, be professional, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

I completely understand that philosophy. But here's another possibility:

Say I practice with snap caps, which give me an unwarranted sense of safety, leading me to develop some bad habits, for instance, chambering a round and neglecting the safety because "Ooops! Well, hey, it's just a snap cap." Later, when moving to live ammo, these bad habits could come back to bite me.

Alternatively, I take great care with each mag load because it's live ammo. When at my practice area (see above) I drop the mag, pull the slide back to check for an empty chamber, carefully ride the slide forward on the verified empty chamber, load a mag, set the safety. Now I'm ready to practice carry/draw, whatever. Unless I rack the slide (which i can't do until releasing the safety BTW), there is no possibility of a round chambering, and since I'm just practicing a draw, there is no danger of shooting my wang off.

This is the way I've chosen to practice. It is safe by my standards, on my range, on my property. Unless someone can show how a round can magically end up in the chamber if I follow these procedures, I see no reason to change my methods.

I do appreciate everyone's concern, but I believe my methods are quite safe.
Snap caps snap caps snap caps snap caps. What you are referring to is called an artifact of training. You can avoid the blunder only if You never treat them just as snap caps. You're "...hey, it's a snap cap..." Is violating the first basic firearm rule...you treat every firearm as if it's loaded. I don't care if you put the gun down, leave the room and come back to it, you check its condition. It's loaded. Period. I would never, ever practice with a loaded gun in an environment or in a manner that would result in life or Property damage in the event you have a negligent discharge. And for what's it's worth, a round will wind up in your chamber unintended sometime in your life. Count on it. That's what the rules are for. Just go to you tube and start searching gun accidents or negligent discharge. Your "standards" mean exactly squat, when a 45 will travel the 1000 feet off your property in about 1.2 seconds. Sorry for the lecture, but you brought it up on an open forum. I'm an Oregon Firearms Academy Defensive Pistol Instructor Development School graduate, Range Safety Officer and LEO Firearms instructor. There are guys on this forum a whole lot more knowledgable and capable than me, but I'd bet a box of Golden Sabres not one of them would suggest or condone practicing with a loaded firearm in anything but a live fire session. It's not an accident waiting to happen, it's a negligent discharge waiting to happen. That ending said...good for you to committing to becoming proficient with your firearm. Find a good defensive pistol school near you and go. But be careful, it's more addicting than fondling your 45. ;)

Yeah. I'm kinda tired of the lectures, and sorry I brought it up. Nobody here really knows me. Nobody here knows how careful I am. Nobody seems to have an answer to how a round can end up in the chamber if I follow the procedures as I've outlined them.

I appreciate the concern. I truly do. But on my range, and on my property, I will train in the manner I think is best for me, and I don't give a rat's patootie if anyone thinks it is unsafe, especially if they can't show me in a concrete manner how, if I follow the procedures I've outlined, a round can end up in my chamber without my knowledge.

That said, I do have a question: Which finger is best to twirl a loaded gun on?

Heh.

Last Edited:
Carry all the time at home and get used to the feel. It's very foreign at first.

Yeah. I've been wearing the OWB holster a couple days and I still feel like a dork. But I've noticed that when I take it off for…whatever reason, when I put it back on, the condition check is becoming second-nature, so that's good. It's part of the process, I believe, of making it just another part of my wardrobe habits: check that my shoes are tied; check that my zipper's up; check that my gun is safe; etc.

Seems silly but practice using the restroom / bathroom while carrying.
Not silly at all!! Perhaps one of the most important things to practice because you probably don't have ANY experience with what it is like to have the weight of a gun in your pants while they are around your knees. Invariably you will wind up in a restroom with nowhere to put your gun while you tend to business. This is when you really appreciate a good holster. And buttoning up your britches while the gun is in it's holster takes a little extra effort too.

I just read the statutes and this is awesome news. I walk the dogs back in the woods every day. Two miles minimum. Good practice. And the extra weight of this 1911 monster will help my cardio! ;)

It is such a tremendous amount of responsibility to cc. I suggest you review some of the literature regarding shooting an assailant; it can get really dicey. I have been reading Massad Ayoob books; he is one of the best authorities on the subject of CC. His "Deadly Force, Understanding you right to self defense" is very informational about guidelines of when to shoot and cites several situations where lots of legal proceedings occurred after armed citizen or LEOs had to shoot someone. More name dropping, Patrick Kiltreman, started a business Concealed Carry University.org and puts out a very good video disc set "The Armed American's Complete Concealed Carry Guide to Effective Self-Defense. I have learned enormous amounts of very good information from both of these sources. Good luck and stay safe, always.

I am appalled how much abuse and attack (I believed) we have to receive in order to 'legally' shoot an attacker. Reading/Studying some of the information suggested had helped me be clear(r) on when I can shoot; it is really important to know that stuff.

It is such a tremendous amount of responsibility to cc. I suggest you review some of the literature regarding shooting an assailant; it can get really dicey. I have been reading Massad Ayoob books; he is one of the best authorities on the subject of CC. His "Deadly Force, Understanding you right to self defense" is very informational about guidelines of when to shoot and cites several situations where lots of legal proceedings occurred after armed citizen or LEOs had to shoot someone. More name dropping, Patrick Kiltreman, started a business Concealed Carry University.org and puts out a very good video disc set "The Armed American's Complete Concealed Carry Guide to Effective Self-Defense. I have learned enormous amounts of very good information from both of these sources. Good luck and stay safe, always.

I am appalled how much abuse and attack (I believed) we have to receive in order to 'legally' shoot an attacker. Reading/Studying some of the information suggested had helped me be clear(r) on when I can shoot; it is really important to know that stuff.

This right here should be the number 1 thoughts on anyone's mind when they conceal carry.
USCCA has tons of information to guide one and they have SD insurance plans if you are in a shooting. There is a lot to know, like what if i shoot someone and what is likely going to happen to you after you pull the trigger. Number one, keep your mouth shut, do not give any information other than "I was in fear for my life and I stopped the threat, I need my lawyer".
Personally I do not have an attorney on file if I am in a situation, such as a shooting . I'm likely not going to be a hero for anyone other than myself, friends or family members. :s0159:

Keep calm and carry on.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR