JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Carrying always, every where every day is the best practice. Don't get your chonies in a bunch over what most of the armchair quarterbacks are whining about. 99.99% of regular folks like you and me have never and will never fire a gun in self defense.

Neither will you.

Thinking and planning on how to safely and discreetly carry your gun is therefore more valuable than most anything else. Becoming comfortable with and accustomed to concealed carry is the best training one can participate in.

Carry on.

Carrying always, every where every day is the best practice. Don't get your chonies in a bunch over what most of the armchair quarterbacks are whining about. 99.99% of regular folks like you and me have never and will never fire a gun in self defense.

Neither will you.

Thinking and planning on how to safely and discreetly carry your gun is therefore more valuable than most anything else. Becoming comfortable with and accustomed to concealed carry is the best training one can participate in.

Carry on.
I'd very much like to spend the rest of my days shooting holes in little pieces of paper, and the occasional tin can. But being prepared for the remote possibility of drastic alternatives is useful.

I have been reading Massad Ayoob books; he is one of the best authorities on the subject of CC. His "Deadly Force, Understanding you right to self defense" is very informational about guidelines of when to shoot and cites several situations where lots of legal proceedings occurred after armed citizen or LEOs had to shoot someone.

Just ordered that book, along with "The Law of Self Defense" by Andrew Branca as well as "You Have the Right to Remain Innocent" by Duane James, and "Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry" by Massad Ayoob.

Noting like curling up with a good book or four during the dark winter months...

You know in Washington State you can carry concealed while doing outdoor recreation (hiking, going for a walk outdoors,hunting,fishing,photography,etc.) WITHOUT A CPL if you want more experience carrying while waiting.
I don't think that is correct my friend at work said he carry a hand gun as a back up when he muzzle loader hunts and bow hunts and said he had to get ccw you can carry open carry

Another thing I didn't see any body say unless I missed it is you should practice drawing your gun from a sitting position like a table at a restaurant and practice drawing when you are in a car and remember to unload the gun when practice lots of people have accidents in there car lol

You might have to shoot your first shots from a sitting position so take you kitchen table and a chair out to your range HEHEH sit down and eat lunch and every once in awhile drop your sandwich and draw your gun and shoot lol remember the bad guy picks the time and place when your going to be in a gun fight you don't get to pick

Here is the truth of it.
And the links if you want to go to the source;

RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.
RCW 9.41.060: Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.
(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.

RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(1) Marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens or their deputies, correctional personnel and community corrections officers as long as they are employed as such who have completed government-sponsored law enforcement firearms training and have been subject to a check through the national instant criminal background check system or an equivalent background check within the past five years, or other law enforcement officers of this state or another state. Correctional personnel and community corrections officers seeking the waiver provided for by this section are required to pay for any background check that is needed in order to exercise the waiver;
(2) Members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves, when on duty;
(3) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed pistol;
(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;
(5) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive pistols from the United States or from this state;
(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;
(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or
(10) Law enforcement officers retired for service or physical disabilities, except for those law enforcement officers retired because of mental or stress-related disabilities. This subsection applies only to a retired officer who has: (a) Obtained documentation from a law enforcement agency within Washington state from which he or she retired that is signed by the agency's chief law enforcement officer and that states that the retired officer was retired for service or physical disability; and (b) not been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of a crime making him or her ineligible for a concealed pistol license.

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

That leaves a little wiggle room for interpretation, but it seems pretty clear. And since Washington is an open carry state, this is obviously referring to exceptions to Concealed Pistol Licenses.

OK I guess you're right I stand corrected but like you said a little wiggle room if I was out in the woods I would carry open carry any way cuz when mama bear is changing at you you don't want to be lifting your jacket or unzip it to get to your gun I would have in the open on my hip

Lol another reason would be that if your out there I would hope that your carrying a .357 or bigger witch would mean shoulder holster or chest rig or on your hip because putting a big gun like that IWB is not that comfortable for hiking

You've gotten some really good advice here. The best of which is no live ammo with drawing practice, unless said practice occurs where you would typically shoot, in other words a range.

I understand double checking for an unloaded condition... Why take the chance, you can never take back a bullet...

I've carried for over 20 years, whenever I practice my routine at home, it's always with snap caps, in the chamber and in the magazine. No live ammo within the confines of my practice area.

No need to take unnecessary chances. I tend to be overly cautious, ni sense in tempting Mr. Murphy...
I resemble that remark.

Lol another reason would be that if your out there I would hope that your carrying a .357 or bigger witch would mean shoulder holster or chest rig or on your hip because putting a big gun like that IWB is not that comfortable for hiking
My primary carry for the Great Outdoors will always be my .45. Fits great in my OWB holster (which includes a secondary mag pouch).

Today we (the dogs and I) were out on the morning walk and came across a bull moose only 100 feet away. Yikes! I was wearing a ear-muffling hat and didn't hear it (it was 10°F), and the wind was blowing from us to him enough that the dogs didn't hear it or smell it either. But it saw us, or smelled/heard us and casually ambled away. Nice set of paddles on that guy. We've been playing hide and seek with him for the last couple months. I'll be looking for those paddles once he's done with them.

I didn't have my gun with me, and fortunately didn't need it. But I was wondering what I would do if the dogs went after him, or vice versa. I wouldn't shoot him, since the danger to me would be minimal as it would be focused on the dogs (and I wouldn't want to hit one of them by mistake). But if things got dangerous for them, I might want to use it as a noise maker into the ground or a rotted stump. The noise would, at the very least, scare the crap out of the dogs and send them running.

I was just getting ready too tell you a story I have never been charged by a bear but when I was 15 and my little brother was 13 we would spend summer's in Cooke City Montana with our uncle and go fishing in the Clark fork river we would hike bout 11/2 miles from road and we came across a cow moose with a calf in a thunderstorm and she was freaking out chased us around a tree for bout 30 second 's so close that I hit her with my fishing pole lol needless to say we lived and so did she cuz we were too young to carry a gun LOL me and my brother still talk bout that HEHEH

The moose will kill those dogs given a chance.

Moose are unpredictable. We've had plenty encounters with them out here. The dogs bark and attempt to chase, but never get very close. I use my "Authority Voice" and the dogs come back. Generally we make such a noisy commotion the moose just wants to get the heck away.

Once, my dog Boris (120 lb lab/mastiff) went outside and was barking. I looked out the window and saw him dancing with a moose cow. He was shucking and jiving from side to side and racing around the moose, and she was trying to crush him with her front feet. Dang! I ran outside onto the deck and got him back into the house. He seemed to think it was a great game. It's all fun and games until someone gets stomped.

That's the exception to the rule, however. Most of the time the moose are evasive. Still, like I said, they can be unpredictable.

My daughter worked in Kenai, Alaska for a couple years. She'd walk right past a moose sitting in a snowbank right next to her mail box one day, next to her car the next, and right by her front door on another on a regular basis.

Yep well all wild animals or even domestic animals and people are unpredictable lol I see your thing says Spokane area I live in Anacortes WA but I'm a truck driver and I go to Spokane and Coleville Newport and down to Rathdrum ID every week

My Dad was a Seattle firefighter. I grew up on Maple Valley. They retired to Sequim. After they died, I was traveling there every other week to sort out the estate. Sequim is a nice little town.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top