Things to do while waiting for my CPL

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by sigmadog, Dec 5, 2016.

1. sigmadog

sigmadog
    Spokane area
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

My CPL is about 3-5 weeks away. In the meantime, I've ordered some low-cost holsters, two IWB and one OWB. They arrived today so for the next few weeks I'll be carrying at home and at work (these are the same places as we work from home) which is legal in WA:

The OWB holster is a cheap nylon number, but it holds the 1911 great. I'm practicing with a full mag loaded but nothing chambered. I want to get used to the weight and the feel. It also has a pouch for an extra mag, and I've got that filled as well. I'm liking the OWB for home carry.

After a week or so of that, I'll switch to the IWB (a nice slim suede leather holster) and see how that works out. I ordered both a left-hand and right hand so that I can try it in different positions (mainly 2 and 4 o'clock). I'm curious to see what a loaded 1911 feels like that way. I'm guessing I'll prefer the 4 o'clock just because of the size of the beast.

I'll also need to practice drawing. I'll start with a mag loaded but nothing chambered (don't want to shoot my butt off, or worse). Once I feel like I've got good muscle memory (doing it with eyes closed, in my sleep, while making whoopie… well maybe not that last one), I'll chamber a round and draw and shoot.

I'm really looking forward to this. It's exciting to taking charge of my own security.

Anything else I should be doing while I wait for my CPL?

ikemay, DB Wesner, Sgt Nambu and 2 others like this.
  2. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

Practice carrying around your house.
    Learn how to move , carry , pick up things , stretch etc ... all without having your gun print or show.
    See how your clothes and belt works and fits while carrying.
    Practice until you no longer find yourself glancing at your gun or you not constantly readjusting or checking your gun while carrying.
    Seems silly but practice using the restroom / bathroom while carrying.

All in all you want to be 100 % comfortable in carrying your gun. All without thinking about it.
    Make it second nature , just like carrying your wallet.
    Andy
    Edit to add ... upgrade as soon as you can to a high quality holster.
    Just a fair warning a good holster does cost serious coin and you will go through a few of them till you find one or two that fits you , your gun and how you carry.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  3. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    45th Parallel

do you have any formal training with handguns? maybe take a defensive handgun class? remember, if you have to eliminate a threat to your life anything you say CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU in court.After you eliminate the threat, depending on circumstance, you most likely will be taken to jail and questioned. don't say anything to anyone except a lawyer. if you do fk up and say anything it should be "I was in fear for my life, i eliminated the threat against my life. i want my lawyer"

4. Stomper

Stomper
    Ungovernable!
    Become Ungovernable! Gold Supporter

There is also the point of not having a negligent discharge & shooting yourself, your domestic partner, or through walls into your neighbors' house while practicing your draw. ;)

Don C, etrain16, Sgt Nambu and 5 others like this.
  5. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    45th Parallel

yeah, dont be a dumba$$

6. B3dlam

B3dlam
    Astoria, OR

nammac, v0lcom13sn0w and sigmadog like this.
  7. Pops1911

Pops1911
    Kent

I would respectfully ask you to consider practicing your draw with snap caps and keep any live ammo in another room. This keeps things very safe at home. Do your loaded draw practice at the range. Just my .02. Enjoy.

etrain16, nammac, Camelfilter and 4 others like this.
  8. BlackRyder

BlackRyder
    Edmonds

What pops1911 said. I did most of my draw practice at the range. Spending as much time as possible at the range is the best way I can think of to pass the time while waiting for your license!! Any draw practice at home should definitely be done with snap caps. Check and double check that there is no live ammo in yer gun before you start your training routine...

etrain16, nammac and AndyinEverson like this.
  9. sigmadog

sigmadog
    Spokane area

I don't go to the range. I have a target set up on my property. This is where I practice.

target.jpg

Nothing behind it but a hill. The only structures are at 60° to either side (on the downhill side at least 1000 feet away).

I understand the advice to use snap caps, but I always check the gun beforehand. I practice using a modified Condition 3 (Hammer is cocked; no round in the chamber; safety on). I don't use or need snap caps.

clearconscience likes this.
  10. BlackRyder

BlackRyder
    Edmonds

Nice- I'm jealous! I wish I could shoot on my property. I think that your setup counts as "going to the range". One day I'll hopefully live in a spot where I can set up a little shooting range in my backyard...

11. Connor Murphy

Connor Murphy
    Washington County

Words to live by.

v0lcom13sn0w and nammac like this.
  12. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

So you whack that slide back and let it fly forward on an empty gun every time you practice your draw?
    Most say that that's bad for the gun. More would say to carry a fully loaded gun.

13. nammac

nammac
    I-5 Corridor - West of Portland
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

You've gotten some really good advice here. The best of which is no live ammo with drawing practice, unless said practice occurs where you would typically shoot, in other words a range.

I understand double checking for an unloaded condition... Why take the chance, you can never take back a bullet...

I've carried for over 20 years, whenever I practice my routine at home, it's always with snap caps, in the chamber and in the magazine. No live ammo within the confines of my practice area.

No need to take unnecessary chances. I tend to be overly cautious, ni sense in tempting Mr. Murphy...

14. sigmadog

sigmadog
    Spokane area

No.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  15. sigmadog

sigmadog
    Spokane area

I completely understand that philosophy. But here's another possibility:

Say I practice with snap caps, which give me an unwarranted sense of safety, leading me to develop some bad habits, for instance, chambering a round and neglecting the safety because "Ooops! Well, hey, it's just a snap cap." Later, when moving to live ammo, these bad habits could come back to bite me.

Alternatively, I take great care with each mag load because it's live ammo. When at my practice area (see above) I drop the mag, pull the slide back to check for an empty chamber, carefully ride the slide forward on the verified empty chamber, load a mag, set the safety. Now I'm ready to practice carry/draw, whatever. Unless I rack the slide (which i can't do until releasing the safety BTW), there is no possibility of a round chambering, and since I'm just practicing a draw, there is no danger of shooting my wang off.

This is the way I've chosen to practice. It is safe by my standards, on my range, on my property. Unless someone can show how a round can magically end up in the chamber if I follow these procedures, I see no reason to change my methods.

I do appreciate everyone's concern, but I believe my methods are quite safe.

nammac and Caveman Jim like this.
  16. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal
    Oregon

Yes, either practice without a mag in or use snap caps. It would be so easy to automatically rack the slide...and then big trouble.
    There was a case a couple of years ago in the Portland area of a new security guard practicing holster draws in his home. He accidently fired a round and it went through the house, into the backyard, and killed the little girl of his girlfriend. Keep ammo in a separate room and wait to practice draws with a magazine loaded with ammo until you feel proficient.

nammac likes this.
  17. sigmadog

sigmadog
    Spokane area

I've posted my reasons for not using snap caps, but thanks for the advice.

18. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    West of Oly
    Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

I always say what works for me, works for me. Others have developed a system that works for them good for you. I'll use what works for me and not chastise someone else for their method (unless blatantly unsafe).
    Go for it Dog. ;)

ikemay, sigmadog and nammac like this.
  19. DB Wesner

DB Wesner
    Tacoma
    You need more cowbell. Silver Supporter

Good because I hear its painful.

Caveman Jim, sigmadog and nammac like this.
  20. rick benjamin

rick benjamin
    USA, Or, Damascus
    Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016