JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Skeptical of the series part 2

Skeptical of Burns' 'Vietnam,' Part 2 - The Citizen

Part 1 appears in a previous post
THE VIETNAM WAR

Thanks RicInOR For posting this. After watching 2 episodes, I was having a lot of mixed feelings inside and really felt like not watching the remaining episodes. Skeptical of Burns' 'Vietnam,' Part 2, put my feelings in order. I'll keep the recordings and probably watch them on some rainy days this winter. Thanks again, Gene

I'm sorry, fellows. I was sworn in on 7/19/1973 when "Vietnamization" had been in full swing for about a year. I saw what happened and knew that Nixon was right, Johnson wanted to make certain that the RVA and the people of the Republic of South Vietnam were kept in arms and funding that we promised them on VV Day (January 23rd, 1973). The newly elected Democrat Congress cut off their funding. As a result, the NVA and VC seized this "golden opportunity" and overran Saigon.

I have never forgiven them for that.

Wish I was watching this! Didn't know he was doing this show. I've been binging on WWII, The Civil War and The Roosevelts.
I like watching these and other quality documentaries with my SO. She also tends to ask some questions, and I love answering. It's when I get to look smart. :)

You know, as well as I, that we whipped the snot out of the NVA as well as the Viet Cong. When the "do nothing" Democrat Congress during the period eviscerated the "tank-for-tank, helicopter-for-helicopter, cartridge-for-cartridge" promise made by President Richard Milhouse Nixon. The NVA/VC coalition saw their chance and attacked a helpless ARVN, as well as the civilian community that refused to become "good little Communists". They knew that the empty promises they made when they signed the Paris Peace Accords on 1/23/1973 could be violated without any fear of either reprisal or consequence. This emboldened them to mount their attack on Saigon shortly after our evacuation of the American Embassy on 7/30/1975.

If that isn't the truth, I'll eat my new bowler!

Last Edited:
I heard an interview with Burns and he said he knew that no matter what he put in the film (or didn't) there would be controversy. Says a lot about that period in history.

Heard his next project is the history of country music.

I volunteered for Viet Nam, and served there from Sept. '65 to March '67. The last twelve months I was a gunner on a Huey Slick in the 129th Assault Helicopter Company. Much of the documentary is relevant to me, as we served with many different units in the II Corp zone. Too bad Burns couldn't capture the heat, humidity, smells, and horrible flies. FYI: all the episodes are On Demand on Comcast tv.

If interested, in the past I published two short stories online at:
Serving With Hawk Missiles
http://www.129th.net/stories/868.html
(If you read the second: yes, I finally located Lt. Wallace just a couple of years ago.)

Max

Yep Max! You just can't convey the true horror and misery of war!

Thank you for being an American Warrior! The best I can do is honor you guys in my household, but the entire nation owes you a debt of honor! Steve

I volunteered for Viet Nam, and served there from Sept. '65 to March '67. The last twelve months I was a gunner on a Huey Slick in the 129th Assault Helicopter Company. Much of the documentary is relevant to me, as we served with many different units in the II Corp zone. Too bad Burns couldn't capture the heat, humidity, smells, and horrible flies. FYI: all the episodes are On Demand on Comcast tv.

If interested, in the past I published two short stories online at:
Serving With Hawk Missiles
http://www.129th.net/stories/868.html
(If you read the second: yes, I finally located Lt. Wallace just a couple of years ago.)

Max

Welcome home, brother! We love you and know what you went through. My heart belongs to my brothers and sisters in arms.

Wow!!! That was powerful!!! And to my taste accurate!

I was a Vietnam era draftee, I served on the DMZ in Korea. So none of the heavy combat of Vietnam, simple stuff like infiltration, sniping and short long range machine gun fights. My war was against a killer climate.
Get back to the states and I had the same welcome as the other vets, no matter where we served! The way that Vietnam vets were treated is a national tragedy! sKreu those hippy betards! We should have organized and wiped them out.
Gee, maybe I'm maladjusted!!!

Wow!!! That was powerful!!! And to my taste accurate!

I was a Vietnam era draftee, I served on the DMZ in Korea. So none of the heavy combat of Vietnam, simple stuff like infiltration, sniping and short long range machine gun fights. My war was against a killer climate.
Get back to the states and I had the same welcome as the other vets, no matter where we served! The way that Vietnam vets were treated is a national tragedy! sKreu those hippy betards! We should have organized and wiped them out.
Gee, maybe I'm maladjusted!!!

If you're "maladjusted", move over and make room, soldier! This old sailor is right with you. I quickly became very tired of the "peace, love, dope, Hare Krishna" krap myself. (They were filthy, lazy and complacent Communist punks. That hasn't changed).

Last Edited:
"Vietnam should remind all conservatives that whenever you put your faith in big government for any reason, sooner or later you wind up as an apologist for mass murder."
-- Karl Hess

Volunteered for 4 years in the Marine Corps, from '68 to '72. Ended up glad I was never sent there.

I've avoided this subject as best I can over the years. I'll be 77 this coming January and have found peace through the most amazing woman. I've been with her for 40 plus years now. I got there in early 1966. I was raised in the country and very naive. After about 3 or 4 weeks in Vietnam I realized that we should not have been there. I re-enlisted while there for another 6 months. I was young, it was exciting ( how stupid was that) and it was macho. I made rank quickly. The Army did that I believe to keep you going. Saying that it was "exciting" and that "we should not have been there" are contradictions, I realize. But young, stupid and naive were all playing against common sense, of which I had little. My life was altered forever. 55,000 young Americans lost their lives there, and for what?

Read this book my mom is and was friends with some of the guy's in this book some died some are still living she gets mad to this day when someone talks about Viet Nam IMAG1226.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top