JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, is anyone else watching "The Vietnam War" on public broadcasting? It's a multi part documentary starting at the beginning and, surprisingly enough, ending at the end!
Like all Ken Burns doc's it's stunningly detailed and precise. The film, period films and photos, the music, writing and narration are woven into a magnificent collage! That's a lot of superlatives, I know. It's just that good! Here's kinda how good, I'm deep into it, former GI, military history nut and
friend of RVN veterans. My wife, none of the above, also deep into it! She carefully rewatches every episode twice with me! Married 46 years, never seen the like with her! She pauses the show to ask questions! o_Oo_Oo_O

I was Air Force and served 1967 through 1971. I volunteered for 'Nam a number of times but never got orders.
Now close to fifty years later I still think it was a mixed blessing. I lost too many friends there and many since and I feel their loss.

I'll have to see if I can somehow catch up, I've been wanting to see it but I guess I lost track.

I saw a part of it last night.

Too bad that the 2nd Gen VN kids that I take shooting have no interest in it. They were born way after the end of the war and their mother was born in 1972. I frequently mention to them that they should talk with their grandfather who worked with the Americans and was later put up as a "guest in a communist prison" after the war. BTW, he currently lives in Vancouver, WA and the rest of his immediate family moved here too once he was released.

Darn kids nowadays.

Aloha, Mark

I saw a part of it last night.

Too bad that the 2nd Gen VN kids that I take shooting have no interest in it. They were born way after the end of the war and their mother was born in 1972. I frequently mention to them that they should talk with their grandfather who worked with the Americans and was later put up as a "guest in a communist prison" after the war. BTW, he currently lives in Vancouver, WA and the rest of his immediate family moved here too once he was released.

Darn kids nowadays.

Aloha, Mark

Well Mark, most of us don't care much about our heritage until later in life. Too bad that their granddad will most likely be gone by then! Still, it's probably the most documented war in our history....maybeo_O...
One of my few friends is Vietnamese with a Chinese ethnicity. He was an ARVN Ranger for nine years, and doesn't mind discussing it! How do I know it's true? By the three gigantic craters in one arm and one leg from bullet wounds. :(

I'm a huge fan of history, recently watched the first five episodes, and found it to be very interesting. The details and production values were as good, if not better, than anything else Ken Burns has put out. And he's done some amazing work over the years, not the least of which documentaries on the Civil War, the Shakers, and the Prohibition era. The audio score, which was a combination of period tunes and creepy music by Trent Reznor of NIИ fame, really worked. For whatever it is worth, the first few episodes can be viewed for free, without registration, here.

Personally, I am too young to have any recollection of the conflict, the Fall of Saigon happening shortly before my birth. However, my parent's generation was deeply impacted by said. As an example, my uncle (mother's only sibling), was a Marine who fought and was gravely wounded in said war. He's, thankfully, still will us, but for a spell it looked like he wasn't going to make it. He did pull through, had a family, a good career, and afterward, founded a gunshop in his native state. Other families were not so fortunate.

Watch carefully, but I would advise a heavy dose of skepticism.

I read a paperback copy of The Pentagon Papers in Oakland, while awaiting for my name to come up on a flight manifest to Vietnam. I arrived in country with skepticism, despite growing up in rural eastern Washington. I was angry at the politicians and generals by the time I left, and that hasn't changed since.

I'm watching this series with my wife, and think the series - so far - is better than I had expected. I think the war was a mistake, though it took several decades for me to be able to admit that out loud. My patriotic intentions at the time have nothing to do with my reflections after the fact.

Right in the middle of episode six, "Things Fall Apart" which includes the TET Offensive, assassinations and unrest.
Now we're gettin' to the nut cuttin'!
I leaned toward getting out of Vietnam nearly from the get go! I was happy to be sent to South Korea instead of the RVN!
Until winter came!!!

Last Edited:
I volunteered for Viet Nam, and served there from Sept. '65 to March '67. The last twelve months I was a gunner on a Huey Slick in the 129th Assault Helicopter Company. Much of the documentary is relevant to me, as we served with many different units in the II Corp zone. Too bad Burns couldn't capture the heat, humidity, smells, and horrible flies. FYI: all the episodes are On Demand on Comcast tv.

If interested, in the past I published two short stories online at:
Serving With Hawk Missiles
http://www.129th.net/stories/868.html
(If you read the second: yes, I finally located Lt. Wallace just a couple of years ago.)

Max

I was in country with the 173d Airborne Brigade (Sep) from May of 1965 to December of 1967, then again from April 1970 to April '71, then with the 17th CAG from '71 to April of '72. There have been several film clips and still photos of the guys from the 173d. Kinda strange to see people I knew, but also knew they were KIA in the Nam.

Let us see what Ken Burns has to say about a 45 day operation called Lam Son 719.

This is what went on with one unit,The Blue Stars, of which wany were involved.

This was the largest Air Armada of the Viet Nam war.

I served in VN from 1968 through 1969 with the 243rd ASHC out of Dong Ba Thin (II Corps). The 243rd was a Chinook outfit.

I've been eagerly waiting for Ken Burns film since I first heard about it. He is well known for accuracy and fairness in all of his film projects. I have watched up to episode six so far (taping it) and have been very impressed with how well it has been presented. Episode six and seven should cover the years I was in country, so I'm looking forward to them.

Anyone interested in the Vietnam war period should be watching this excellent series of films.

I was in country with the 173d Airborne Brigade (Sep) from May of 1965 to December of 1967, then again from April 1970 to April '71, then with the 17th CAG from '71 to April of '72. There have been several film clips and still photos of the guys from the 173d. Kinda strange to see people I knew, but also knew they were KIA in the Nam.

I had just stumbled over some photos - which included the 173rd

In Her Own Words, Photographing the Vietnam War

A jungle operation by the 173rd Airborne Brigade in A Shau Valley in 1967.
CreditFondation Gilles Caron, via Contact Press Images
In Her Own Words, Photographing the Vietnam War[/paste:font]

"Liked"... Not for the soldiers who are KIA ... But for you being in a hard charging unit and coming home.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads