JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Or won't want to stop. Usually, it all starts with a .22 suppressor, then a second because taking turns when shooting with a buddy is no fun. Then maybe a SBR. Those don't have to cost that much. Most stop there. For me, I couldn't stop there. I've got 4 stamps, have 2 pending, and am considering making my Uzi model B a SBR.

Stamp collecting is like crack for some.

Mmmmm..... NFA crack.

I have never heard of anyone having a NFA item having to go through a house search. Been involved for 30 years but who knows, the guy in charge now may "change" all that.

You have to engrave the lower with you're name & address or gun trust & address before/after the tax stamp shows up, and before you put a shoulder stock on it, as you are building a firearm for yourself and needs to be identified as such.
The original maker of the lower is left intact and is so declared on the Form 1 application.
You can add whatever tactical goodies you want, so long as you keep it semi-auto.

Does the suppressor have to be engraved with my name and address too?
And, what happens if I have an SBR, my name and address are engraved on the lower receiver, and I decide to move? An engraving can't exactly be erased and redone. That's what I've been thinking ever since I saw that part.

Any NFA item has to be engraved with the MAKER and address where it was made. Moving does not change where it was made.

From the link I already provided, http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-6.pdf

All NFA firearms must be identified by a serial number and other specified markings95. If an existing firearm is being used in the making of the NFA weapon, and that firearm is serialized, the existing serial number should be used (unless it duplicates a serial number already used by the maker on Form 1) and entered in Block 4(g). If the weapon is of new manufacture, the applicant must assign a unique serial number and enter it in Block 4(g). For example, a unique serial number could be composed of at least 4 digits preceded by the initials of the maker. NOTE: alpha characters, e.g., a name, will not be accepted as a serial number. If a name is to be used, there must be at least one numeric character in addition to the alpha characters.

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.96 The marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.

http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-7.pdf

7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(1) The model, if such designation has been made; (2) The caliber or gauge;

(3) The manufacturer's name (or recognized abbreviation); and
(4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place of business.122

I'm not a lawyer, but here's my understanding;

- Can the BATFE come into your home whenever they feel like it? NO - not without a search warrant.
...now, I've heard anecdotally that if you're a dealer and they show up during business hours, apparently they can ask to see your NFA records anytime. This may be where the rumor of no-warrant access came from, not sure.

My trust lawyer told me that the best course is to keep your original trust and Form 4's in a secure location, and have copies of the form 4's and the trust with you when you take the NFA weapons out to shoot / range / etc. I just put copies of everything in a binder and throw it in the car when I head out with the NFA stuff. I've never been asked, but I do have the documents if that ever happens.

Great link from Nwcid, that's worth reading.

Get a .22 can first, you'll be bad hooked after that.....:D

I scanned them and shrunk them down so four would fit on one page, front and back. I did another with the trust agreement (just the few important pages). Fold 'em up, put 'em in the wallet.

I keep extra full size copies in the vehicles, my toolbox, my vault and in another vault are the originals.

I heard that if you owned an NFA item, whether it's a suppressor, an SBR or SBS, the FBI or ATF can come into your home whenever they want and inspect your home.

whoever told you that is completely full of sh*t. be sure to tell them that.

owning NFA items does not eliminate your 4th amendment rights.

bottom line -- NO, the fbi or atf CANNOT inspect your home whenever they want. they need a search warrant.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top