JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone,

I wanted to get some straight facts in regards to own an NFA item.
I heard that if you owned an NFA item, whether it's a suppressor, an SBR or SBS, the FBI or ATF can come into your home whenever they want and inspect your home.

I was wanting to know if it's true or not. If it is, how often do they do it, what time do they usually do it, and what are they inspecting and why?

That's been the only thing that's deterring me from buying a suppressor, that and it's expensive.

If anyone has any info on this, please post it on here, I would really appreciate it. Thank you all so much and have a happy new year!!

- Josh

There is nothing on the Form-1 that says you are required to consent to a search. If the BATFE want's to search your home they must have a warrant. I believe if you happen to have an FFL or a C&R License, they do have the right to inspect your bound book by appointment at a place of your choosing.

I am far from an authority. But I believe you must produce the item the tax stamp is for on demand. That does not mean they can barge into your home and search. That means they can send you a letter or call and ask that you make arrangements to provide the item for inspection.

At least that's how I understand it.

They are not going to show up with a no knock squad and tear your house up (unless they think you did something that was actually a crime)

So, no, they can't just barge in. They still require a warrant to search your residence. You do have to keep a copy of the tax stamp with the item at all times and you can be required to produce the tax stamp for the ATF if requested. 308 and Iron are both correct on those points. It's not really as big a deal as people make it to be honest.
Now one thing I will say is that if you live in a shared residence, whether family or roommates, you ARE required to securely store the item where only YOU can have access to it.

I'm not a lawyer, but here's my understanding;

- Can the BATFE come into your home whenever they feel like it? NO - not without a search warrant.
...now, I've heard anecdotally that if you're a dealer and they show up during business hours, apparently they can ask to see your NFA records anytime. This may be where the rumor of no-warrant access came from, not sure.

My trust lawyer told me that the best course is to keep your original trust and Form 4's in a secure location, and have copies of the form 4's and the trust with you when you take the NFA weapons out to shoot / range / etc. I just put copies of everything in a binder and throw it in the car when I head out with the NFA stuff. I've never been asked, but I do have the documents if that ever happens.

Great link from Nwcid, that's worth reading.

Get a .22 can first, you'll be bad hooked after that.....:D

If you are an FFL (business) the ATF does have the right to come to your BUSINESS and do inspections, <broken link removed> If you have an 03 FFL (C&R) there are different rules where you give up NO rights.

Owning NFA items you give up NO rights.

What firearm do you currently own that you might want to suppress.
Your first post here was about the legal ramifications when using self defense at home with a suppressed weapon.
Just curious.

What firearm do you currently own that you might want to suppress.
Your first post here was about the legal ramifications when using self defense at home with a suppressed weapon.
Just curious.

I was planning on building an AR rifle chambered in 300 AAC blackout and having that suppressed. After seeing the feedback, I'm now considering maybe paying a $200 tax stamp and waiting for approval to make an SBR in 300 blackout since SBR's recently became legal in our "fine" state. lol

Anyway, thank you guys so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Now I just need to buy a small filing cabinet so if I won't lose the tax stamp paperwork. lol

My first AR build was in fact an SBR .300 Blackout.
I first built it in a pistol configuration so I could test it for function, then when the stamp showed up I installed an Ace M4 Socom butt stock on it.
They're a lot heavier then most, but it helps counterbalance the extra weight of the suppressor.
The 10.5" Rainer barrel wasn't cheap but it's super accurate and the quality is first rate.
I went with an AAC 7.62 SDN-6 suppressor and I couldn't be happier with the sound reduction.
I am removing the AAC 51T flash hider and replacing it with an AAC 51T Brakeout compensator because it can help eliminate erosion of the first baffle by redirecting the hot gasses sideways instead of straight ahead as with a normal flash hider. 300 blk sbr 002.JPG

First off, jbett, that is a sweet looking SBR.

Secondly, if I do build an SBR, could I put the same kinds of accessories on it like I would put on a regular rifle, such as a redimag? Or would that be considered illegal?

And thirdly, is there more I have to do in order to build an SBR other than paying the $200 tax stamp and waiting almost a year for the approval?

And I had a lock box similar to that, but I didn't like it because it was difficult and awkward to open. But then again, the one I had was different from that one.

You have to engrave the lower with you're name & address or gun trust & address before/after the tax stamp shows up, and before you put a shoulder stock on it, as you are building a firearm for yourself and needs to be identified as such.
The original maker of the lower is left intact and is so declared on the Form 1 application.
You can add whatever tactical goodies you want, so long as you keep it semi-auto.

Josh, read the link that NWCID posted. Also get on Ar15.com, look into the "Armory" section and there is an entire area dedicated to NFA/C3 questions. There is a TON of information there, and unlike the rest of that site, the main posters there don't put up with much riffraff.

If you only are going to shoot 300blkout subsonic rounds, buy a 9mm suppressor instead. You can use it on a 9mm and 300blkout with subsonic loads. That way you make the can a bit more useful.

The biggest worry you'll have after you buy your first suppressor is you can't stop from buying another.
Or won't want to stop. Usually, it all starts with a .22 suppressor, then a second because taking turns when shooting with a buddy is no fun. Then maybe a SBR. Those don't have to cost that much. Most stop there. For me, I couldn't stop there. I've got 4 stamps, have 2 pending, and am considering making my Uzi model B a SBR.

Stamp collecting is like crack for some.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top