JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
From the 'keeping it real' file comes:

• Reginald Burks: I wouldn't face the same treatment if I were white
  • His attorney cites the law protecting profane speech toward police
  • Burks willing to serve 30 days in jail for principle of free speech

(NewsNation) — An Alabama man says he's willing to serve 30 days in jail rather than apologize to a police officer as ordered by a municipal judge after being accused of disrespecting the officer during a traffic stop.

"Yes, I'll go to jail for 30, 60 days, whatever they want me to do so I can prove my point … we got rights. So if we don't stand up for them we'll never have," Reginald Burks said Monday on NewsNation's "On Balance."

The case stems from a speeding ticket Burks received in Ozark, Alabama. Municipal Judge Nicholas Bull required Burks to write a letter of apology to the officer who pulled him over after Burks allegedly told the officer "get your @ss out the way" so he could get his kids to school.

If Burks fails to apologize by June 4, he faces 30 days in jail. He was charged with speeding for going 3 mph over the posted speed limit.

He probably thinks it doesn't apply to him.
Well, if the 2nd amendment doesn't apply to the state of New York, maybe the 1st amendment doesn't apply to the state of Alabama. I wish the United States Supreme Court would get off their robes and send the message that the rights guaranteed to individual citizens under the Constitution apply to all 50 states. And if a given state doesn't like it, that state can try to amend the constitution the way it likes.

Anyone know the real story behind that video? There are multiple urban legends around it, everything from being exactly as presented with a very calm and professional cop handing out a ticked to someone obviously having a very bad day (and seemingly ongoing financial problems) to a cop who would deliberately agitate people then turn on his camera so that he could get people in even more trouble in court all the way up to a totally corrupt cop who was working with local judges to skim money off the tickets (and using the calm video to discredit victims when they complained to higher courts). Even the YT comments section has multiple different versions of the story behind the stop (the YT comments section cannot even agree if this video is used as a good or bad example training video, depending on which story is attached to it). I would be interested to know the real story if it can be confirmed.

I have the utmost respect for law enforcement. But I'm pretty sure I would have said a whole lot more than what this man said, if a cop wrote me up for 3 mph over. Are you Eff'ing kidding me? That is just abusive.

I lived in Texas in the 80's for a few years. That sounds exactly like the cops and Judges in Texas I was familiar with! Scum like Judge Nicholas Bull make me sick! Crap like him is why I couldn't get out of Texas fast enough!

The motorist has my respect for standing up for himself! Now this just needs to be blasted all over the National news!

Screenshot 2024-05-21 222513.png

Last Edited:
I have the utmost respect for law enforcement. But I'm pretty sure I would have said a whole lot more than what this man said, if a cop wrote me up for 3 mph over. Are you Eff'ing kidding me? That is just abusive.
3 mph over at 5:00 am in the morning taking his kids to school!

I have no doubts the cop was intent on teaching the children a lesson while they are still young!

Last Edited:
3 mph over at 5:00 am in the morning taking his kids to school! I am sure the cop was teaching the kids a lesson while they are still young!
And what lesson is that? That people of color need to fear white cops and that they don't have the same first amendment rights that white privilege folks do? This judge should be recalled and the cop receive sensitivity training. And I solidly back the blue, but not 3mph over the limit ticket writers focused on minorities.

And what lesson is that? That people of color need to fear white cops and that they don't have the same first amendment rights that white privilege folks do? This judge should be recalled and the cop receive sensitivity training. And I solidly back the blue, but not 3mph over the limit ticket writers focused on minorities.
I saw nothing in the article that indicated that race was an issue. Did you read something I didn't?

3 mph over at 5:00 am in the morning taking his kids to school!

I have no doubts the cop was intent on teaching the children a lesson while they are still young!
That is EXACTLY what both the cop and judge were doing! The pair should be thrown in jail AND not released until they each write the motorist and the motorists family an apology! In what Eff'ed up state should that cop be allowed to return to duty after sensitivity training?

Last Edited:
I saw nothing in the article that indicated that race was an issue. Did you read something I didn't?
Horrible optics if the cop isn't racist, compounded by a judge who apparently is completely ignorant as to first amendment rights concerning verbal altercations with police officers. You can say wharptever you want as long as you comply with legal requests by the officer and don't interfere with them or threaten them. Being respectful and cooperative is usually more effective, in my experience.

Horrible optics if the cop isn't racist, compounded by a judge who apparently is completely ignorant as to first amendment rights concerning verbal altercations with police officers. You can say wharptever you want as long as you comply with legal requests by the officer and don't interfere with them or threaten them. Being respectful and cooperative is usually more effective, in my experience.
Why would you claim that it's racist with absolutely no evidence?

If the judge has required similar apologies from mouthy red neck offenders, and the cop has issued a preponderance of citations to Caucasian +3mph offenders, then I will admit to jumping to conclusions. Expect the "justice department" to announce a civil rights investigation to determine if this is true, otherwise it sure appears on the surface to potentially racially motivated. From what I read, this is what the defense is saying.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top