JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
One of the things that stand out to me, was the national media, NBC I think, altering, the photos shown. When the 'news' is willing to do that, they are shaping a narrative. Something they seem to be getting more bold on.

Also, they are not stupid. Get some Yahoo to say - He committed murder, then they say on the broadcast Mr. Yahoo says they committed murder and that gets repeated - and becomes fact. They didn't do anything wrong. Did they.

This is also why I am concerned now about "deep fakes" They producers can make you say anything / appear anywhere. And the court of public opinion is still strong.

FWIW The Jury said OJ didn't commit murder, either. People like to forget that.

Well the "less lethal" idea bugs me. I don't like it used as a wedge against LEOs and I don't like it as a requirement of self defense. The guy supposedly was having his brains beaten out on a concrete sidewalk. Less lethal would be used how?

I think you are correct about the carrying while on Neighborhood Watch... as far as I know, that is absolutely prohibited by that organization!!

Less lethal in regards to what he took to the party. Once it goes to the ground all bets are off.

All I am saying is Z. did not HAVE a Plan B if it went south.

I do not carry less lethal options on the daily. And I take the long way around the block a couple of times a month, if I see something starting that I don't want to finish.

I thought the prosecution proved the OJ case. (OJ being allowed to mug with the gloves was a big mistake.) However, the jury bought the defense theory that the blood evidence was faulty and the investigation shoddy and bigoted. Thanx Mark Fuhrman!!

Contrast that to the Zimmerman case... it appears the prosecution was malicious, driven by the media, and the case was not proved. That said, I didn't watch the entire case like I did with the OJ trial.

One of the things that stand out to me, was the national media, NBC I think, altering, the photos shown. When the 'news' is willing to do that, they are shaping a narrative. Something they seem to be getting more bold on.

Also, they are not stupid. Get some Yahoo to say - He committed murder, then they say on the broadcast Mr. Yahoo says they committed murder and that gets repeated - and becomes fact. They didn't do anything wrong. Did they.

This is also why I am concerned now about "deep fakes" They producers can make you say anything / appear anywhere. And the court of public opinion is still strong.

So now OJ is innocent? You really believe that?

It amazes me how many times we as a group defend obvious bubblegumbags. Zimmerman is a wannabe mouth breather. OJ did it. The dude in Florida that popped the guy after he played Paul Blart Mall cop over a handicap space....these are all examples of what NOT to be. Or defend.

Just because someone is a gun owner doesn't make them a good person.

I think some people should dig down deep and ask themselves..

If the roles were reversed and it was Trayvon Martin playing cop and in a scuffle he shot George Zimmerman, would you feel the same way? Or differently?

Hmmm........

Less lethal in regards to what he took to the party. Once it goes to the ground all bets are off.

All I am saying is Z. did not HAVE a Plan B if it went south.

I'm a fan of Active Self Protection channel on YouTube. The guy is always saying that hand to hand skills are needed in addition to carrying... especially grappling skills and a ground game such as Brazilian Jujitsu. I studied Kajukembo (street fighting) for a year and I still wouldn't expect to have any success w/o a full belt in it!! And not at my age, and not in my condition. I think I need a course in wheelchairjitsu!!!

.....The guy was an over grown tattooed thug. What I might consider a thug. Photos later of him with gangster posses and was used to getting his way by intimidation. Just prior to his confronting Zimmerman he walked out of a neighborhood store without paying for his smokes, and big enough to who is going to challenge him? He flat out sized Zimmerman and contact with him indicated that Zimmerman could never physically over come Trevor.

And lots of folks want to take away my AR-15's based on what they look like........:rolleyes:

I have been watching John on ASP all summer. I am ACUTELY aware that I will not be administering any beatdowns unless I just go all Christmas Story Ralphie on some guy.

I do not see having the time to become Chuck Norris, but I think I can manage that OC John keeps hyping!:D

Last Edited:
The 'eyes and ears' thing bugs me. Not that the surveillance was wrong, but carrying and then PUTTING one's self into a situation where deadly force was used, that's where I get stuck.

Zimmerman was walking back to his truck after losing visual contact with Martin. Then Martin came out of hiding and suddenly attacked Zimmerman. This is hardly "...PUTTING oneself into a situation where deadly force was used...."

Zimmerman had just left his house to drive to the grocery store when he first observed Martin in the gated housing development. Given that there were recent burglaries in the neighborhood Martin appeared suspicious and Zimmerman called 9-1-1. While Zimmerman was on the phone with 9-1-1 Martin ran away toward an area where there was a gate that Martin could use to exit the neighborhood. Losing sight of Martin, Zimmerman got out of his truck to see if Martin had fled out the gate so he could inform 9-1-1 of Martin's direction of flight. That's it - until he was attacked by Martin.

.....The guy was an over grown tattooed thug. What I might consider a thug. Photos later of him with gangster posses and was used to getting his way by intimidation. Just prior to his confronting Zimmerman he walked out of a neighborhood store without paying for his smokes, and big enough to who is going to challenge him? He flat out sized Zimmerman and contact with him indicated that Zimmerman could never physically over come Trevor.

Oh, and the FACTS are although 17 year old Martin was 4" taller, he weighed almost 30 pounds LESS than the 28 year old (at the time) Zimmerman.

So much for "over grown tattooed thug" that was "big enough to not be challenged."

Martin was 5' 11" and a whopping 157 pounds. Wow. That's big. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So now OJ is innocent? You really believe that?

It amazes me how many times we as a group defend obvious bubblegumbags. Zimmerman is a wannabe mouth breather. OJ did it. The dude in Florida that popped the guy after he played Paul Blart Mall cop over a handicap space....these are all examples of what NOT to be. Or defend.

Just because someone is a gun owner doesn't make them a good person.

If the roles were reversed and it was Trayvon Martin playing cop and in a scuffle he shot George Zimmerman, would you feel the same way? Or differently?

Hmmm........

Please don't think I'm defending Zimmerman... when all I'm doing is stating the case against him as I understand it. Based on the facts of the case against him alone... not on who he is, or on any subsequent poor acts.. I won't use those as an excuse to change my understanding of the case... that doesn't mean I think he is a great guy as you accused!!!

If the black kid was Neighborhood Watch and shot Zimmerman I wouldn't change what I think about the case. I try to leave racism at the door.

The whole neighborhood watch critisizm is a red herring argument.
How many here would step up to watch your neighborhood if crime increased bad enough? And how many would insist on carrying if doing so, i bet many here would think it would be dumb not to... Considering most here cant even go to Fred Meyers without packing heet.

Another interesting fact about this case is Zimmerman didnt self appoint himself as neighborhood watchman.... He was elected by the neighborhood comittee, and if I understand right was counseled by the local PD on what to do.

Hmmm........

My opinion would be exactly the same (taking Martin's age and ability to carry concealed out of the picture). Along the same lines, had Zimmerman a less white sounding surname, do you think Obama would have made the "This could be my son" line or the press would have jumped on it like they did? This was nothing more than stirring the racism pot for political gain with the cooperation of the media to spin the facts.

[QUOTE="bbbass, post: 2345088, member: 36758"
Apparently he was following his mission as expressed by the Neighborhood Watch. I agree that you don't shut off your brain, but most people will do what they think "authority" is telling them to do. He might be a total sch!theel, but I gotta cut him some slack.

[/QUOTE]
I have zero problems with him dusting the scum after he attacked him. What I did shake my head about at the time is how far he went to get into the confrontation. When I am armed, which is virtually always, I have always been very circumspect about this. Since I of course don't know this guy I have no idea what was going through his head but, he sure sounds like a lot, and I do mean a LOT of the people I have worked with in private security. Many of them thought themselves LEO's and were constantly getting in trouble. One small example. I was working weekends for a rentacop joint. Huge building full of old people. Pre internet so I would spend the shift reading for 8 hours in the middle of the night. Perfect extra money. One night this idiot who was some top supervisor stops by to impress me. Was rambling on about a week before he was in Renton and chasing some guys who were shooting at him. I asked him "were you armed?" He said "no". I said "so why were you chasing these guys?" He says "well that was how I was trained........................." I said "did you go to idiot school?". It took him a second to realize what I had said and get mad. I told him you do know if they had figured out you did not have a gun they would have stopped running and let you catch them right? By now he is telling me how he is a superior and blah blah. I told him I have a real job, this is beer money, don't want me, call in and have me replaced. He huffed off and I never heard any more <shrug>. This crap George got into sure sounds like someone who took something a lot further than he should have. Alone, at night, dark, then gets out of his vehicle to to search for this scum. Stay in the damn vehicle, call 911, wait for them.

Zimmerman was walking back to his truck after losing visual contact with Martin. Then Martin came out of hiding and suddenly attacked Zimmerman. This is hardly "...PUTTING oneself into a situation where deadly force was used...."

Zimmerman had just left his house to drive to the grocery store when he first observed Martin in the gated housing development. Given that there were recent burglaries in the neighborhood Martin appeared suspicious and Zimmerman called 9-1-1. While Zimmerman was on the phone with 9-1-1 Martin ran away toward an area where there was a gate that Martin could use to exit the neighborhood. Losing sight of Martin, Zimmerman got out of his truck to see if Martin had fled out the gate so he could inform 9-1-1 of Martin's direction of flight. That's it - until he was attacked by Martin.

Not as black and white as it seems.

Peace

Not as black and white as it seems.

I lived in the area at the time. I followed the case closely and I know details of what happened that weren't reported by the national media. I knew from the get-go that Zimmerman wouldn't be convicted. Perhaps you can provide additional details to support your claim?

I wasn't a juror on the case, so I abide by their decision. This is the system we have in place. Second guessing our justice system, especially if you aren't in the courtroom for the entire proceedings, is not productive and creates a breakdown of the process. I, for one, do not wish lynch mob rule based on anecdotes and rumors. Did the Salem witch trails not illustrate the failures of doing things that way?

I did not follow the case closely then. I figured the jury would get the available evidence and make a decision. I did not get that evidence then and I am sure it is not being provided now, just someone's 'take' on someone else's 'take'. Third hand opinions of second hand opinions. No thanks, I won't follow this now either.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top