JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Zimmerman was looking to determine if Martin had exited the gated housing development through a nearby gate after Martin ran away in order to report Martin's direction of flight to responding police officers. (Prior to this Martin had circled Zimmerman's truck, glaring at Zimmerman in attempt to intimidate him.) When Zimmerman turned around and started walking back to his truck Martin attacked him. In this case Zimmerman was simply trying to be a good witness when he was attacked. Several homes in the development had been recently burglarized.

I lived in the area at the time and I know a lot more details about the incident than what was reported by the national media.
Great, think George thinks it was worth being such a great witness now? Just because some operator starts asking questions does not mean you should shut off your brain and do what he did. He got real lucky this did not end worse than it did trying to be such a good witness.

I am going with Zimmerman got away with murder. Leave people alone and you won't get into these situations. Some creepy guy follows and confronts me on public property I can't say I would do anything different.

Really? You would attempt to intimidate him and then assault him? Bang his head on the concrete? I really don't think you would!

Both Andrew Branca and Massad Ayoob have written extensively about the Zimmerman trial. I'm surprised many here haven't read on this. Whats interesting to learn about the case is it was proven in court that Zimmerman was in fact not pursuing Martin but rather following 911 orders exactly, when Martin attacked him.

Massad Ayoob: It's about evidence, not about "what-ifs." The simple fact is, no matter what some want to believe and no matter how much the brainwashers of the media have twisted the facts, there is no solid evidence to support any theory other than that Martin didn't like being watched, attacked Zimmerman violently, and was shot in self-defense by the man whose head he had been smashing against the sidewalk with potentially lethal effect.

I believe just the opposite and the situation escalated to where self defense was necessary. The guy was an over grown tattooed thug. What I might consider a thug. Photos later of him with gangster posses and was used to getting his way by intimidation. Just prior to his confronting Zimmerman he walked out of a neighborhood store without paying for his smokes, and big enough to who is going to challenge him? He flat out sized Zimmerman and contact with him indicated that Zimmerman could never physically over come Trevor.

You thinking about Michael Brown? ... I can't find any info about Trayvon not paying for smokes, and no pics of him nor stories about him being bigger than Zimmerman.

To anyone who bothers to read what lead up to this it should be a very good example of how NOT to do things. He did escape going to prison for this but at what cost? I hear many who own talk about doing stuff just as stupid as Zimmerman did. The watching the neighborhood, fine. See something that looks suspicious? Fine, call 911. Get out of your car armed and start looking for the "suspect"? This is what lead to a disaster. If he wanted to play keep the neighborhood safe, great.He put himself in this mess when he got out of his car to start playing Cop.
Great, think George thinks it was worth being such a great witness now? Just because some operator starts asking questions does not mean you should shut off your brain and do what he did. He got real lucky this did not end worse than it did trying to be such a good witness.

Apparently he was following his mission as expressed by the Neighborhood Watch. I agree that you don't shut off your brain, but most people will do what they think "authority" is telling them to do. He might be a total sch!theel, but I gotta cut him some slack.

Massad Ayoob:
The evidence indicates that Zimmerman didn't get out of his car until the operator asked where the suspicious person was, and where the police should meet Zimmerman, the complainant. Taking that as a request for information, Zimmerman obligingly got out of the car to gather the intelligence that seemed to have been implicitly requested of him. He was, after all, the elected (not self-appointed) captain of Neighborhood Watch, and his function as Eyes and Ears of the Police had been drilled into him and the other Watch members through the Police Department itself. When the call-taker asked if he was following the man, Zimmerman replied in the affirmative. He was then told, "You don't have to do that."

The evidence indicates that he stopped following Martin at that moment. His former rapid breathing returned to normal and wind noise from his phone stopped, consistent with his testimony that he stopped following and had lost sight of Martin. The dispatcher did not "order" him to stop following, and later admitted in court that he had no authority to do so. Nonetheless, it was clear that Zimmerman was simply following Martin to keep him in sight and report his whereabouts, not "pursuing" with any intent to "confront."

Putting together the timelines of the calls – hard evidence – and the testimony of the prosecution's "star witness" Rachel Jeantel. When Zimmerman lost sight of Martin, the latter was a very short distance from home. Yet in the four minutes thereafter, he had to have left that location and gone toward Zimmerman's. Even Jeantel admits that the first words of the confrontation she heard were from Martin, before the phone went dead.

Keeping an eye on someone from a distance is not against the law. Leaving the safety and mobility of your vehicle when suspicious unknown people are around may not be the best tactical move, but is no evidence of wrongdoing or intent to confront.

Who struck the first blow? Virtually all the evidence supports Zimmerman's account; no evidence contradicts it, and no evidence supports the theory that Zimmerman assaulted Martin first, in any way. If as some conjecture Zimmerman had drawn the gun at the first, why did he wait until his scalp had been split open on the sidewalk and his nose smashed before he pulled the trigger? And if Martin really believed he was in danger from the man watching him, why didn't he simply call the police from the phone he was already speaking on?

Within the totality of the circumstances presented in court by the prosecution itself, it would seem that saying "Zimmerman started it" is like saying that a woman was raped "because she asked for it."

Martin had run away, out of sight, and Zimmerman had reason to believe he fled through the side gate and out of the development. Zimmerman had no reason to believe Martin would surprise and attack him as he was walking back to his truck. Zimmerman's actions were completely reasonable during the entire incident and a jury agreed.

Following people is not necessarily illegal. Watching over your neighborhood is noble.

But let us not forget that along with choosing to carry comes responsibility.

If one wants to be a LEO, be one.

George Z. and the other mall cops of this world gve the Antis all kinds of ammunition.

Yeah - Not Murder. Fatal Stupidity would be more acurate, but I don't think it is a chargeable offense.:D

Yet, if Massad Ayoob is correct Zimmerman was told that he was the eyes and ears of the Police dept by the police dept. He might be stupid, but doesn't it seem more understandable given what he was told?

And after his "noble selfless" act of looking out for his neighborhood and all....

He's been arrested for felony assault (pointing a shotgun at his GF), domestic violence, he was beaten up for bragging about the killing, he auctioned off the gun for $250k and is currently still in a legal battle after being accused of stalking.

Yep, a real stand-up dude. :rolleyes:

Yet, if Massad Ayoob is correct Zimmerman was told that he was the eyes and ears of the Police dept by the police dept. He might be stupid, but doesn't it seem more understandable given what he was told?

This is all a revisit for me - so feel free to correct me when I mis-remember.

The 'eyes and ears' thing bugs me. Not that the surveillance was wrong, but carrying and then PUTTING one's self into a situation where deadly force was used, that's where I get stuck.

Zimmerman is not a LEO. Have not heard of less lethal force available or used. He did the opposite of 'bringing a gun to a knife fight'.

I recently backed away from a potential situation because I realized if the moment went south, I was not going to be able to beat the bubblegum out of a drunk that outweighed me by 75lbs and I didn't want to have to shoot him.

But, I lack the Paul Blart gene, so there's that.;)

And after his "noble selfless" act of looking out for his neighborhood and all....

He's been arrested for felony assault (pointing a shotgun at his GF), domestic violence, he was beaten up for bragging about the killing, he auctioned off the gun for $250k and is currently still in a legal battle after being accused of stalking.

Yep, a real stand-up dude. :rolleyes:

He's obviously a sch!theel. Doesn't mean he committed murder. Maybe it didn't happen the way he said, but Trayvon had no marks on him other than the gunshot, while Zimmerman had a busted nose and a scalp laceration.

I thought the case against OJ was pretty solid tho.

Last Edited:
I believe just the opposite and the situation escalated to where self defense was necessary. The guy was an over grown tattooed thug. What I might consider a thug. Photos later of him with gangster posses and was used to getting his way by intimidation. Just prior to his confronting Zimmerman he walked out of a neighborhood store without paying for his smokes, and big enough to who is going to challenge him? He flat out sized Zimmerman and contact with him indicated that Zimmerman could never physically over come Trevor.
So? Going back to what I originally wrote. What you are saying to me is, knowing all this Zimmerman still inserted himself into a situation where he persisted only because he had a gun. Otherwise he realized he would have his head, literally handed to him. In the years since his ex, others and Zimmerman himself have shown what he is.

Neither of these guys had a chance in MMA. The size comparison is a push. Is midget fighting legal in FL?

"According to the descriptions on wikipedia, Trayvon Martin was taller (5'11') than George Zimmerman (5'7''), and George Zimmerman was heavier (185lbs) than Trayvon Martin (158lbs). This would make Trayvon four inches taller, and George 27 pounds heavier. According to wikipedia, this information is from police reports at the time of the incident. "

This is all a revisit for me - so feel free to correct me when I mis-remember.

The 'eyes and ears' thing bugs me. Not that the surveillance was wrong, but carrying and then PUTTING one's self into a situation where deadly force was used, that's where I get stuck.

Zimmerman is not a LEO. Have not heard of less lethal force available or used. He did the opposite of 'bringing a gun to a knife fight'.

Well the "less lethal" idea bugs me. I don't like it used as a wedge against LEOs and I don't like it as a requirement of self defense. The guy supposedly was having his brains beaten out on a concrete sidewalk. Less lethal would be used how?

I think you are correct about the carrying while on Neighborhood Watch... as far as I know, that is absolutely prohibited by that organization!!

So? Going back to what I originally wrote. What you are saying to me is, knowing all this Zimmerman still inserted himself into a situation where he persisted only because he had a gun. Otherwise he realized he would have his head, literally handed to him. In the years since his ex, others and Zimmerman himself have shown what he is.

None of that changes the FACTS of the case.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads