Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

The Pacific

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gunfreak, Dec 30, 2010.

1. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

Just got done watching "The Pacific" mini series. Very good, Like it a little more than Band of Brothers only because I was a sailor myself. I am currently reading Tin Can Sailors, a good book as well. Another I can recommend is Point Man by James Watson.

2. STNOSU

STNOSU Corvallis Member

I bought it a lil bit ago and I liked Band of Brothers a lil more. It seemed that they rushed the Pacific.

3. svxr8dr

svxr8dr Vancouver, WA OathKeeper #004404

While I preferred Band of Brothers, The episode of The Pacific that took place in Okinawa was gut wrenching.

4. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I liked both of them but I thought the character development and acting was better in Band of Brothers. Generation Kill about the Iraq war was very good and pretty realistic.

5. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

I have to agree with those who preferred BOB. I think Pacific was a bit of a rush job, or maybe the victim of poor editing. But it in no way takes away from the sacrifice the guys who fought in the Pacific made. I have visited several of the islands we took, and sitting on the reef at Tarawa and trying to imagine wading 400 meters in the chest deep water while being mortared and machine -gunned made me go weak in the gut.

6. saread

saread Bothell, WA Member

The Pacific was primarily based on 2 books, "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa" by Eugene Sledge, and "Helmet for My Pillow" by Robert Leckie. If you haven't read either, I highly recommend both. As incredible as the Okinawa episode was, the narrative by Sledge in With the Old Breed is absolutely tragic. Describing these folks as the "Greatest Generation" just doesn't seem to do them justice.

7. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

I received a copy of the Pacific for Christmas. I hope I have time in the near future to watch it.