JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in no way legally or otherwise qualified to give advice on this subject. Just wanted to share what i have acquired on the subject, and share a nifty site that has little checklists and links to letters from the wonderful batf on said subject. Gunwiki: Generic 922(r) Worksheet (who I am sure are not legally qualified in any way either)

I do believe the original intent was to apply to manufacturers. Somewhere along the line it was decided that when you started modding your firearms, you were somehow manufacturing a different weapon. then you have those who do home builds. While there is a lot of semantics involved, i would not want to be the one having to argue them in court (like I have always been told that if the magazine isn't in the gun, it doesn't count). If we use the list the fine fellows who contributed to the wiki site put together Gunwiki: 922(r) Worksheet for SKS Builds then all you need to do to bring an sks into compliance is change the stock, fore end, and magazine assembly (follower, housing) and as long as it was not a yugo or threaded barrel with some attachement on the end you are now in compliance with sec. 922(r). you do not need to change out all the guts, etc to bring the count to ten or less.

Now on to what prompted me to post this. You see a lot of SKS rifles modified and for sale. Everyone always asks "is that thing 922r legal". Well, to compile a list of counted components - Gunwiki: 922(r) Worksheet for SKS Builds you check everything that has not been changed, and do not click on the muzzle attachment unless you have one. The parts that don't have check boxes next to them are parts that have been deemed to not count on said weapon (go ahead and read a little on the site, there are plenty of reference letters where fine fellows took the time to actually write and ask questions vs spreading ignorance on the internet).

So yeah, that sks in tapco furniture sporting a tapco mag is 922r compliant, if just barely- as long as it isn't a yugo. Yugo's need one more part changed since they have that useless grenade launcher attachment on the barrel. Now whether or not a folding/adjustable stock or high capacity magazine is legal in your area is another story.

blah blah blah.....i'm bored. and yes, all the stuff I have built is 922(r) compliant, even though some of the US made crap is cheaper quality then the original parts - i used it anyways, just in case big brother was watching through my implanted eyeball camera or space satellite as i worked in my basement. lol

And yes, i am sure i am just repeating something that has been said before on this site.....it just seems like people need a refresher once in a while to stave off the spread of ignorance.

yeah...i kinda stopped caring after i spent nearly 500 dollars converting that old sporter i am selling. that was the last one i did, and i realized then it was a horrible investment. best just to leave em as is you'll make more money off them in the future.

now building ak's (ok, i'v only half built one) it shouldn't really be hard to make compliance since you made the receiver, a good double hook trigger, hammer, and sear set is us made (unless you have some chinese ones laying around lol), and i prefer the US made stock sets with hogue grips....boom, your in compliance. add in the fact that it's getting harder and harder to get a non-us made barrel and i don't see how you could even build one out of compliance Lol.

Anyways, I read a comment in the sales section that got me thinking - and like i said, i was bored :p

this subject has been beat like a dead horse for years on the fal files.

imo it was meant for manufacturers. imo it became a selling tool for manufacturers of us parts to the hobby market.

imo most if not all of the paranoia is propagated by pinched up wingnuts.

yeah.....I usually say ask whoever made the rifle if i get the question.....unless it was one i put together lol.

i agree....companies like Tapco would not be anywhere near as huge if this had not been suggested to hobby enthusiasts.

Like i said - don't shoot the messenger. Just seen someone sweating a seller about his sks and wanted to try to alleviate some paranoia. But yes, they are still out to get you.....it's just not for sec. 922(r) violations.

I don't even worry about 922r in the slightest.

There are a number of people who have done prison time over it who said the same thing. The beast will usually use it if they really want to tack on additional charges after they "bust" you for something else.. whether you are innocent or guilty of those. Each weapon that does not comply is an additional federal felony

A little research can make it pretty easy to comply.. so why not? I hate it more than most anyone here, just saying use your wits

If you're building it's pretty easy to comply, just buy US made stuff and support our countries economy. the sks is the victim of too much ignorance...too many people think you need to change out a ton of parts, and spend a ton of money on said parts, in order to modify them and be 'compliant". while not legal advice, it seems to me that this is a false belief.......since changing the stock set and magazine with say a tapco set would bring you into compliance and alleviate any worries.

if there has been new decisions on the parts list by the atf...errr...batf, by all means please post them. not asking as a challenge but as a favor to all here. what were the old commercials.....'now you know, and knowing is half the battle' lol

dsa engraves "made in usa" on their german fal hts sets and sells them as us parts. someone explain this to me. if you dont believe me, check the gun plumber threads on fal files. he wouldnt let this one go.

My only explanation is they are dishonest if that is true......or is it somehow allowed to "design" the part in the us, then outsource the work to another country and call it a us product. I have seen this on go karts and motorcycles lmao....

It really is a goofy law - of all the things to worry about, how many parts in a semi automatic rifle are made in the us is worthy of a law?

There are a number of people who have done prison time over it who said the same thing.

Got any info on that? I've heard claims like yours, and claims that there have not been any... And neither side can provide any information to prove it either way. Got any links or anything to stories about people being charged or convicted of 922r violations? Google just brings up all the normal gun forum discussions.

the only charges i have read of were threatened against B-west (had to google search - couldn't remember the manufacturer) over some ak's. found some interesting stuff quoted on the high road but i couldn't access the legal link it said access forbidden
Has anyone been prosocuted for violating Sec 922r? - THR

(yes, that is where i found mention of b-west. i remembered reading it was threatened against a manufacturer but couldn't remember who....kept wanting to say cai but didn't seem right lol)
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-330532.html

10 parts or less, seems pretty simple (from the list). My rule of thumb is, if a semi auto rifle has been modified in such a way that it couldn't have been imported in it's current (altered)configuration, 922r applies.

Just because they haven't prosecuted anybody, doesn't mean they can't. I'm sure they would like to add it as an "also charged with" if other, more serious charges were filed. It's all up to prosecutors.

Lots of folks make light of some sections of the code, but remember, there are no federal misdemeanors (that I know of). I am not a big fan of prison food or penis, so I just play it safe.

I just leave them alone, or make changes that do not affect status. As said before, it's just not worth it. For the amount of money you put into it you can buy something factory fresh.

SKS's and 10/22's and mausers- leave them alone go buy an AK or an anschutz or a Remington.

IT's ALWAYS cheaper to buy it the way you want it, than to try and build it.

while searching the atf site for anything about convictions, i found out how to make a glock fa (ok, it just tells about the part used but still) ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Firearms Technology

i'd be scurred to shoot a converted glock....is that plastic meant to handle 1200 rounds per minut lol.

anyways, yeah....10 or less is pretty easy. like i originally posted, other then the case of a yugo it only takes swapping stocks, forearms, and the magazine to make it compliant if you go off the atf list. swap out a gas piston for safe measure and your sks is at 9 parts iirc

ahah...a legal type willing to attempt interpretation. rec.guns FAQ: II.H.2. Firearms Laws: Modifying Semi-Automatic Firearms

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top