JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 92F that was stolen and recovered. The gun was left out in the rain and the barrel has some minor pitting and abrasions to the blued finish. I asked my local gunsmith (and Beretta service shop) about obtaining a replacement barrel. He suggested that I simply get the barrel stripped and polished. I kind of like the idea, but wonder about corrosion problems going forward.

Has any one here done something similar to one of their guns? How did it work out long term?

Also, should I be able to get a replacement barrel from Beretta or is it likely my gun is too old. It is an original Italian import 92F purchased just before the ban.

thanks a bunch

You can order a new barrel for $100 or so. I would'nt want my barrel to be in the white (unfinished) a gunsmith should'nt charge too much just to reblue/park the barrel

I have had very good results with a product called "Laurel Mountain Forge" when bluing gun parts. Very simple to use, just a lot of elbow grease involved.
Costs about $15.00 shipped to your door, and I've done two pistols and one rifle so far.

Last time I looked on the "equipment exchange" area of the AR15.com site there was a guy selling some take-off barrels with the locking block for $65. I believe these have the phosphate finish though. Might still be some left.

Don't overlook the results one can get, especially on small parts, with the "DIY" bluing materials.

I've re-blued a barrel for an old S&W by simply polishing, then putting in a pot of boiling water. Remove, dry with a lint free closth (a well laundered t-shirt usually fits the bill) and while the barrel is still hot, apply bluing agent. Even the cheap Birchwood Casey "Gel" will do a respectable job if there is no grease or contaminants on the surface. After the first coat, polish with the finest steel wool you can find. Burnish with a rag just like you would shine your shoes. Repeat process until you have the finish you desire. This process would be a pain in the south end for anything much larger than a pistol barrel but a good project, non the less.

Use naval jelly and then Birchwood Casey Superblue.. and just shoot it.. if you want a new barrel there are stanless aftermarket barrels for cheep as mentioned already

Be careful when using steel wool between applications of bluing. Steel wool is coated with oil to prevent rust.
I degrease them with lacquer thinner before using.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top