JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good Sirs,

I have an M94 Swedish Mauser carbine that was very unfortunately "sporterized" before it came into my possession. It is a very light and accurate rifle, but the previous owner chopped the stock at the front sling swivel, removing the hooded sight, bayonet lug and other pieces. This rifle now has merely a steel base in which a dovetail was cut, with a front blade sight that is not original.

On the receiver, there are two holes drilled and tapped on right side just forward of where the bolt handle rests. There is also a small, rectangular piece of the stock removed in this area.

Because the front sight is chewed up, I ordered a Swedish Mauser replacement front sight and discovered that it was much too small for the dovetail cut into the front sight base.

All this leads me to believe that the previous owner had a peep sight installed on this rifle, and also had the front sight base enlarged to fit a front sight that might have been mated to the peep sight. However, I don't know how to figure out what sight / sight combo was used.

There are no gunsmiths in my area that work on projects like this, and my emails to Lyman and Williams were never returned. Does anyone have any suggestions? I wouldn't mind buying the sight set that this rifle was modified for, since material has already been removed.

Thanks in advance.

Base of front sight dovetail: .235", about 6mm
Height of current front sight: .335", about 8.5mm

Spacing of receiver screw holes: .615"
Width of receiver screw hole: .115"

20180103_013833.jpg 20180103_013720.jpg 20180103_013657_Burst01.jpg

If you are wanting to stay sporterized, then I would have a gunsmith mount a ramp front sight and find a receiver mount sight. Personally, I prefer the Lyman and Redfield over the Williams, but that has more to do with the aesthetics of the aluminum on the Williams rather than function.

If you want, that gun is likely not too far gone for restoration to military dress, but that too will require a gunsmith. It would need a new front sight base soldered on, a new rear sight collar soldered on, and new stock components. It would be a long, possibly frustrating restoration, but in the end, you would end up with a 94 Swedish Mauser, one of the best looking Mausers ever built.

0982C1F5-30A8-4F76-880D-7DE02DA62F6C.jpeg

Peeps are neat, and fast if you keep the peep hole larger than you might think. Though a little perplexing to the uninitiated, visual alignment is rather like the red dot without suffering accuracy. unlike other iron sights, you don't have to worry about the focus of the rear sight. just look through it, not at it, and find your target, place your front sight on the target and you are good to go.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top